Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new computer that I set up yesterday. I also ordered a router so that my husband can use his laptop. We had a router on the old computer, but someone else set it up and it stopped working after a month.

Anyway, I have BellSouth DSL that uses a Westell moden and a Netgear WGT624v2 router. After much time on the phone with tech support at BellSouth I was able to get the router to work on the main computer (which is not wireless). It also works with John's laptop (wireless). MK's old Dell laptop has a wireless card and I can't get it to work with the router. I can plug her ethernet cable from her computer into the router and it works fine. When I click on the wireless network in Network Places I can see that it is getting a strong signal from the router, but it won't let me access Internet Explorer. The info that Netgear sends you, and their website, and their CD do not go into detail about setting up anything except the main computer. I need step by step instructions on how to do the wireless network settings. I even went to their forums and can't find any help with this. In addition, if I go through the gateway to the Netgear help (192.168.0.1) it resets my Westell Modem and the whole system won't work. I don't know if I'll be able to check for upgrades, or any of that. From the forum pages at Netgear it sounds like there are plenty of complaints with this modem, most of their other modems and people also had lots of complaints with LincSys. If anyone is good with this sort of thing, please let me know. I have fairly good computer skills, but this is getting to me.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
if I was there I might be able to figure it out but I suck when it comes to trying to diagnose over the internet, my sons wireless card in his desktop quits working from time to time but restarting windows will usually reconnect it, do you still have the books for the wireless card? it may be easiest to uninstall and reinstall fresh

also, does that card have connectivity lights on it? and are they blinking at all?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I might be of some help, my brother knows everything about computers, I'll get him and see what he says

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lights (I have 2) on the wireless card are both green. When I go to the Control Panel and Network Connections there is a heading that is called Network Bridge. Under this heading are 3 icons. The first one is Network Bridge and it says Enabled, MAC bridge miniport. The 2nd one is Local Area Connection and it says cable unplugged (this is the ethernet). The 3rd says Wireless Connnection and it says Enabled, Bridged, Wireless-B Notebook adaptor. When I click on the 3rd icon I get a little box that shows that the status is connected, the time that it has been connected, the speed 11.0, and the signal strength (full bars). I then can click on Properties and I get another screen that says Wireless Connection Properties. I click on the tab that says Wireless networks and the top box is checked that says let Windows automatically configure the device. I also see the name of my available network - NETGEAR - and it matches the exact name that my main computer uses. So everything tells me that the device is functioning properly, but when I click on Internet Explorer I get a gray box that says that no internet connection has been established and do I want to work off-line.

I appreciate y'all giving this some thought. I don't have the disk for the wireless card, but the laptop says that wireless card is working fine. The disk is at the condo and we can get it, but not today.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent more time last night with an online BellSouth e-tech. He/She had me change some settings on the laptop and I can now connect. Don't know if it'll be permanent, but we'll see. Thanks to Joe and AJ for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hi ,

I think you may have had the same problem that I had and it took me months to figure out and two wirless routers. It would work and then just quit for no reason at all.
I find that Dlink is the easiest to set up and thier tech support is great and helpfull
Link sys are idiots. They read a script and have products out there that are not compatible to windows x-p.. They had the nerve to post a fix that does not even work. They even told me to exchange the rougter and noting was wrong with it.
Anyway. The issue i had was the modem It needs to be configured to 10 megabit
I think the standard stetting is 100. I suggest you call the router company not the modem company and they and help you reset the modem speed. Depending on the router you are using you may be able to do it with there online connection.

I'm pretty sure that is the problem as the symtoms your discribing sound just like the problems I was having.

Please note: It is not a problem with your router or your modem it is just the megabit settings. I is a quick fix should work in 5 min after changing the modem settings

best of lucky

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I now have 2 netgear routers on 2 different computers and am not exactly overwhelmed with ease of set up. If I have to try a different one I'll look at Dlink.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 7 2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info.  I now have 2 netgear routers on 2 different computers and am not exactly overwhelmed with ease of set up.  If I have to try a different one I'll look at Dlink.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88010
[/QUOTE]

I don't mean for you to get an other router. Call the router company and ask them how do you change the speed on your modem to match your rougter,as you think they are not on the same speed.
I can't telll you how to do it becaue every router has a different interface ip to automaticly change it. It is a simple thing and should only take them 10 min to tell you or walk you through it.

You should not have to change your router at all,or your modem.
If the speeds do not match they will not talk to each other. It may work for a couple of days and then juse give out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am on satellite with direcway, upgraded to there dw 6000 an was hoping I could figure out how to route both my dells togather to get on line I have a router had it working with I was on DSL 5 yrs ago but I am not bright enough to figure out how to make it work with satellight. Direcway is no help. I wished I new that somebody that could make both my work on line, but instead I unhook one an hook other old dell at times an it is a pain to do that but have to do what I have to do. Glad you got yours figured out.
Teaco

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco@Aug 7 2005, 04:21 PM
I am on satellite with direcway, upgraded to there dw 6000 an was hoping I could figure out how to route both my dells togather to get on line I have a router had it working with I was on DSL 5 yrs ago but I am not bright enough to figure out how to make it work with satellight. Direcway is no help. I wished I new that somebody that could make both my work on line, but instead I unhook one an hook other old dell at times an it is a pain to do that but have to do what I have to do. Glad you got yours figured out.
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88041
[/QUOTE]
Do you have a bestbuy near you? You could maybe hire their Geek Squad to do it. Not sure how much it would cost but it is an option.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 7 2005, 06:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
@Aug 7 2005, 04:21 PM
Teaco
Do you have a bestbuy near you? You could maybe hire their Geek Squad to do it. Not sure how much it would cost but it is an option.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88075
[/B][/QUOTE]

closet best buy is over 120 miles, I just need to get somebody out here to do it I have tried an got the computer all messed up one time couldn't get on line at all.
Teaco

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco+Aug 7 2005, 06:55 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 7 2005, 06:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
Teaco

[/QUOTE]

closet best buy is over 120 miles, I just need to get somebody out here to do it I have tried an got the computer all messed up one time couldn't get on line at all.
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88090
[/B][/QUOTE]
Is there any electronic store or place that sells computers near you? They might be able to recommend someone.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 7 2005, 06:57 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 7 2005, 06:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
Teaco

Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88090
Is there any electronic store or place that sells computers near you? They might be able to recommend someone.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88092
[/B][/QUOTE]

That is what makes it so bad, the closet town that has electronics is 55 miles away I live out in the middle of no where. That was my main reason I upgraded my direcway thinking it would be easier to rout two computers togather but later found out it was no better then the old one I already had. I am just going to have to have somebody or find somebody to come do it.
Teaco

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 7 2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info.  I now have 2 netgear routers on 2 different computers and am not exactly overwhelmed with ease of set up.  If I have to try a different one I'll look at Dlink.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88010
[/QUOTE]

I use Dlink wireless routers and cards and very seldom have a problem, a restart usually will connect itself

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think we have Dlink. The biggest problem for us (or rather my husband since i had nothing to do with this) was to protect our network so that other people couldn't steal our internet and also to protect private information. At one point the network was so secure that my husband could not get us back on it!!!! He had to reset everything and redo it!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
lol, that's funny. I think i did that when setting up the link sys one.
also with the link sys I could not get it work with the security on. I was just a mess.
although the linksys router is still good. It is sitting down stairs in a box looking pretty. I had it with it. stressfull junk. D- link was so easy to set up and the help was good too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts