Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...our pup has been rubbing her head on the carpets. I have a vet visit scheduled for tomorrow, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone else's dog does this. I don't think she has an ear infection as there is no odor or discharge and her eyes are clear...she just seems to be scratching her head on the carpet. It kind of looks like a cat marking with it's scent glands.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Sep 17 2005, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone...our pup has been rubbing her head on the carpets.  I have a vet visit scheduled for tomorrow, but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone else's dog does this.  I don't think she has an ear infection as there is no odor or discharge and her eyes are clear...she just seems to be scratching her head on the carpet.  It kind of looks like a cat marking with it's scent glands.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100647
[/QUOTE]

You know Miko sort of does that off and on. I think he is rubbing his eyes on the carpet when he does it (or other times when his face is wet). We noticed that when he couldn't rub his face (after he had surgery and was out of it), he had more **** built up in the corner of his eyes. Not tear stains, but eye **** so its almost like he is getting the eye **** out himself. I don't know -- I have been meaning to ask his vet about it but have forgotten.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby does that in the mornings on the bed. It looks so cute the way he sits there with his head down between his two front paws and rubs his head and face on the covers.
I think it is just like we do sometimes when we wake and rub our eyes.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Baxter does this a lot but I tell him it is because I have usually just brushed him and fixed his top knot and he is being stubborn trying to mess his hair up!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Seems to me that it might be an ear infection. My first Maltese, Rosebud, had them a lot and many of the times there was no oder or anything I could see, except that she would shake her head or rub her ears on the carpet. Good luck at the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
buttercup does it too. she has a history of chronic ear infections, but none since we moved to ohio, i dont believe. i think in the case of a buttercup... she realizes she gets lots of laughs and attention and so she does it to become the center of attention. you know, for that .04 seconds of our day that she ISN'T...

ann marie and the "to a dog, .04 seconds is an ETERNITY" buttercup
or,
"annmacup", i like that. i might start using that...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've never seen Schuster (male) do it, but I have seen Grace and Brittany do it, but they both had just been bathed and had a hair bow in, so I figured they were just fooling with the bow, trying to get it out.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut does it to dry off his face after bath and after drinking. Tic does it to try to get the little elastic out of his hair. Hope it's not an ear infection.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Saltymalty~
What did your vet say about Valletta rubbing her head on the carpet? Did I miss it somewhere?
I hope everything is fine. ~Sharon

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are off to the vet in about an hour. I had an appt. earlier in the week, which I cancelled because she seemed to not be rubbing her head so much. Well, this am she threw up and has been not her normal self. So we are off to see what's up. I wonder if she's like my kids...they always threw up whenever they had an ear infection.

I'll post when I return.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are back from the vet...she is just fine. She must have eaten something that didn't agree with her and that caused her stomach to get upset. The vet did give her fluids and an injection of pepsid. She is not to eat anything for the next 6 hours...then it's boiled chicken and rice. As for her ear scratching, she has a yeast infection in her left ear...although there is no drainage. I have some drops for that. The vet said it was just like swimmer's ear in humans. I guess I'm a bad mommy but she hates to have cotton balls shoved into her ears during her bath. As for the other vitals...everything else is fine. She weighs in at a whopping 4.3 lbs. I thought she was heavier but the vet weighed her twice. This is about the same as her weight in April...so it looks like this is it. Hopefully she will begin to feel better and her tummy will settle. If it doesn't, and if she vomits again within 24 hours, they want her to come back. She is napping now.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm glad she is fine!! She is a petite little thing just like Ruby...thanks for letting us know how she's doing!

You ARE NOT a bad mommy!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts