Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby Jean seems to be getting picky-the older she gets. I've tried Science Diet--Royal Canin-mini-Holistic Royal Canin-now she doesn't like any of these. She loves the rolls from Natural Balance but I want her to eat a dry food too. Do any of your picky eaters just love a type of dry food? I guess its pretty much a trial and error thing-but it does get expensive doing that!! My husband says leave it and she'll eat it when she gets hungry but I'm not into doing that--I need her to eat!!! She's 8 1/2 months old-does she still need to be on puppy food? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Apr 28 2005, 06:02 PM
Ruby Jean seems to be getting picky-the older she gets. I've tried Science Diet--Royal Canin-mini-Holistic Royal Canin-now she doesn't like any of these. She loves the rolls from Natural Balance but I want her to eat a dry food too. Do any of your picky eaters just love a type of dry food? I guess its pretty much a trial and error thing-but it does get expensive doing that!!  My husband says leave it and she'll eat it when she gets hungry but I'm not into doing that--I need her to eat!!! She's 8 1/2 months old-does she still need to be on puppy food?  Thank you for your help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57773
[/QUOTE]
Hi RJ's Mom, I have a similar problem. Our puppy who is almost 8 months started again with her picky diet. She will only eat her dry kibble if it has wet food mixed in. Mind you, it can be the smallest smidgen of wet food...detectable only to her...but she eats it. The past two days have been particularly bad....til I noticed why....she finally lost her first canine tooth. It must have come out today while we were out shopping because I found it in the bottom of her Juicy bag. We went to Gap, Lord and Taylors (BTW, a wonderful sale on Coach...50% off green bags, 25% off pink ones plus a $20 gift card w/$100 purchase), Pottery Barn and Clarks. At each store, she had some sort of treat....so I'm not certain when it fell out. Tonight she ate her dinner like she hadn't been fed in a week. So my point here is that RJ might be teething, which could contribute to her picky habits.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley was very picky too! We finally switched to Chicken Soup and he LOVES it! He gets a tablespoon or two of canned and some dry kibble in the mornings, and then dry only at night. It worked for us and seems to be a high quality food for a good price!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 28 2005, 06:54 PM
Brinkley was very picky too! We finally switched to Chicken Soup and he LOVES it!  He gets a tablespoon or two of canned and some dry kibble in the mornings, and then dry only at night. It worked for us and seems to be a high quality food for a good price!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57784
[/QUOTE]

Is there a website where I can order this food into Australia, or does anyone know of its availability in Australia? I really want to try this with Abby (she's 9 months old and a VERY picky eater too).

At the moment, Abby gets cooked chicken and baby veges at night, dry kibble in the morning... most of the time (and this is no matter what kibble I buy) she will starve herself all day in hopes for the chicken. It worries me and frustrates me at the same time.

When I buy new kibble she will eat it with enthusiasm the first time, but by the second or third she sticks her nose up to it. *shrugs* I don't know what else to try. The only thing she seems to consistently eat is chicken - and I worry that she won't get all the nutrients etc that she needs if she only has that!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My little guy is no longer a puppy
(he will be 2 yrs old on May 1st). He has been a picky eater for most of his life. Fairly recently I switched him to Natural Balance (dry food) and he LOVES it!! He also loves the sausage roll that Natural Balance makes but I try to limit it for special occasions and training purposes. I know lots of dogs like Chicken Soup, but he wasn't impressed with it (plus it gave him more tear stains)!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine+Apr 28 2005, 07:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 28 2005, 06:54 PM
Brinkley was very picky too! We finally switched to Chicken Soup and he LOVES it!  He gets a tablespoon or two of canned and some dry kibble in the mornings, and then dry only at night. It worked for us and seems to be a high quality food for a good price!

Is there a website where I can order this food into Australia, or does anyone know of its availability in Australia? I really want to try this with Abby (she's 9 months old and a VERY picky eater too).

At the moment, Abby gets cooked chicken and baby veges at night, dry kibble in the morning... most of the time (and this is no matter what kibble I buy) she will starve herself all day in hopes for the chicken. It worries me and frustrates me at the same time.

When I buy new kibble she will eat it with enthusiasm the first time, but by the second or third she sticks her nose up to it. *shrugs* I don't know what else to try. The only thing she seems to consistently eat is chicken - and I worry that she won't get all the nutrients etc that she needs if she only has that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57793
[/B][/QUOTE]

Here is the link to their website...Chicken Soup.
It looks like they only ship to Canada, but maybe you can contact them and find out!! If not, maybe you can find an online store that will ship it to you! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i tried leaving the food down and waiting for sprite to starve----and she was 4.5 lbs and underweight. you could see her spine and ribs.

i put her (well, all the dogs) on a homecooked diet. now they all eat. sprite gained 2 lbs! ---thats how underweight she was.

and all their teeth are fine.
they get to chew bully sticks 24 hours/day and i TRY to brush their teeth everyday. but they all have clean teeth.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Sunshine+Apr 28 2005, 05:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 28 2005, 06:54 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57793
[/B][/QUOTE]
This is what Ruby Jean does too! She'll eat her new kibble for a few days and then tire of it. She loves cooked chicken and I think she too waits to be fed that......!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by saltymalty+Apr 28 2005, 04:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RubyJeansmom
@Apr 28 2005, 06:02 PM
Ruby Jean seems to be getting picky-the older she gets. I've tried Science Diet--Royal Canin-mini-Holistic Royal Canin-now she doesn't like any of these. She loves the rolls from Natural Balance but I want her to eat a dry food too. Do any of your picky eaters just love a type of dry food? I guess its pretty much a trial and error thing-but it does get expensive doing that!!  My husband says leave it and she'll eat it when she gets hungry but I'm not into doing that--I need her to eat!!! She's 8 1/2 months old-does she still need to be on puppy food?  Thank you for your help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57773
Hi RJ's Mom, I have a similar problem. Our puppy who is almost 8 months started again with her picky diet. She will only eat her dry kibble if it has wet food mixed in. Mind you, it can be the smallest smidgen of wet food...detectable only to her...but she eats it. The past two days have been particularly bad....til I noticed why....she finally lost her first canine tooth. It must have come out today while we were out shopping because I found it in the bottom of her Juicy bag. We went to Gap, Lord and Taylors (BTW, a wonderful sale on Coach...50% off green bags, 25% off pink ones plus a $20 gift card w/$100 purchase), Pottery Barn and Clarks. At each store, she had some sort of treat....so I'm not certain when it fell out. Tonight she ate her dinner like she hadn't been fed in a week. So my point here is that RJ might be teething, which could contribute to her picky habits.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57783
[/B][/QUOTE]

I will try mixing in a little wet food with it--she does love her wet food. (I don't give it to often so this should be a treat for her)....also I will try and check her mouth-if she'll let me
maybe this is what is happening to her too! She's only 4 lbs so its very important she eats!! Are you still feeding Valletta puppy food?
(BTW) thanks for the sale info!!
I always LOVE that!!)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 28 2005, 04:54 PM

[/QUOTE]

I have been looking for the Chicken Soup brand and cannot find it around here so I am going to order her some and see if she likes it! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom+Apr 28 2005, 09:36 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 28 2005, 04:54 PM

I have been looking for the Chicken Soup brand and cannot find it around here so I am going to order her some and see if she likes it! Thanks!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57842
[/B][/QUOTE]

I ordered my first one from Petfooddirect.com. Then I got on the Chicken Soup website and found a small petstore that sells it in the town where my husband works. It is cheaper there, and no shipping. You might try that...and see if you can find a distributor closer to you.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Phoebe loves artemis and I mix it with a TBLS merrick canned twice a day. I dont know if anyone has seen that merrick but it looks good enough to eat myself!

The main reason for my post is that Phoebe recently went through this where she was hardly eating. I thought it had to do with teething so in this case at times I would hand feed her a few pieces to see if she would start on her own. Most times she didnt. She also seemed to stall in growth. I started noticing missing teeth and now most of them are gone and she is back to normal eating like a piggy! I expect her to start a growth spurt because of it. If she is still losing teeth at that age if you didnt have them removed, this could very well be the case as to why she prefers the soft food also.

I have read the less variety you give a dog the better. I tend to believe that. You will end up driving yourself insane and alot of wasted bags of dog food (Holli also went through not eating)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts