Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a female malt for a few months now. I have a little boy, Clifford, who is my heart and soul. I know that responsible breeders are so, so busy and probably bombarded with calls and silly questions. I really do understand that. That is why I always email breeders rather than call them. I figure they can email me back when they get a chance. When you call, you never know if the time is good or not.

I've done all breed rescue for years so I know what some pet peeves regarding people wanting to adopt. I used to hate when I got emails that said "how much for your dog?" or "is the dog still available?". It's like, tell me about yourself, tell me about what kind of home you will provide this dog, don't make me play 20 questions with you.

So when I've sent out emails to breeders, I tell each one about my life, the fact that my husband and I are in our 30's, we won't be having children, I work from home, I have years of experience working for a vet in the past and I've done rescue for years, I own a malt, etc etc. I think that we really are a wonderful home for a malt if I do say so myself!

I was reading a thread from Jan 2005 regarding this topic so I thought I'd start fresh. I know people suggest looking breeders from the AKC or the AMA. I have emailed every single breeder that is even close to my area and not one has contacted me back. Not one!
It's been weeks so I've given up hope of hearing from any of them now.

Now I would never in a million years buy from a pet store, because my conscience would never let me. But for the first time, I can see why people end up at pet stores or just opening up their classifieds section and buying a dog from there. The process is so frustrating. Also I know people suggest going to dog shows, but I'm really leary of doing that. There is a pet board that I belong to that has a few breeders and showers and they have all said that one of their biggest pet peeves is when they are at a show and people try to talk to them. They said they have a million things to do and they are under a lot of pressure as it is and people asking them questions about their dogs or how to get a puppy is very annoying.

So I don't know what to do! I was originally looking to spend about 1500 but now I'm even willing to spend 2k on a female. I would love a pup anytime between summer and Christmas so it's not like I'm in a hurry either.

Also anyone know why some breeders don't put prices on their websites? I've had a few breeders contact me whose websites I found just by looking them up on the web. One told me her females started at 2800. Another told me 1800-2k for a girl. This was last month when 1500 was my limit. It would make things so much easier if all breeders put prices on their site. Wouldn't it save buyers and the breeders a lot of time if they put prices there so this way if they are way out of your price range, you can just not waste each other's time? Anyone know why many breeders don't put prices?

thanks for letting me vent
I'm embarrassed that I'm new here and coming off as so negative.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I have been looking for a female malt for a few months now. I have a little boy, Clifford, who is my heart and soul. I know that responsible breeders are so, so busy and probably bombarded with calls and silly questions. I really do understand that. That is why I always email breeders rather than call them. I figure they can email me back when they get a chance. When you call, you never know if the time is good or not.

I've done all breed rescue for years so I know what some pet peeves regarding people wanting to adopt. I used to hate when I got emails that said "how much for your dog?" or "is the dog still available?". It's like, tell me about yourself, tell me about what kind of home you will provide this dog, don't make me play 20 questions with you.

So when I've sent out emails to breeders, I tell each one about my life, the fact that my husband and I are in our 30's, we won't be having children, I work from home, I have years of experience working for a vet in the past and I've done rescue for years, I own a malt, etc etc. I think that we really are a wonderful home for a malt if I do say so myself!

I was reading a thread from Jan 2005 regarding this topic so I thought I'd start fresh. I know people suggest looking breeders from the AKC or the AMA. I have emailed every single breeder that is even close to my area and not one has contacted me back. Not one!

Now I would never in a million years buy from a pet store, because my conscience would never let me. But for the first time, I can see why people end up at pet stores or just opening up their classifieds section and buying a dog from there. The process is so frustrating. Also I know people suggest going to dog shows, but I'm really leary of doing that. There is a pet board that I belong to that has a few breeders and showers and they have all said that one of their biggest pet peeves is when they are at a show and people try to talk to them. They said they have a million things to do and they are under a lot of pressure as it is and people asking them questions about their dogs or how to get a puppy is very annoying.

So I don't know what to do! I was originally looking to spend about 1500 but now I'm even willing to spend 2k on a female. I would love a pup anytime between summer and Christmas so it's not like I'm in a hurry either.

Also anyone know why some breeders don't put prices on their websites? I've had a few breeders contact me whose websites I found just by looking them up on the web. One told me her females started at 2800. Another told me 1800-2k for a girl. This was last month when 1500 was my limit. It would make things so much easier if all breeders put prices on their site. Wouldn't it save buyers and the breeders a lot of time if they put prices there so this way if they are way out of your price range, you can just not waste each other's time? Anyone know why many breeders don't put prices?

I'm embarrassed that I'm new here and coming off as so negative.[/B]
If you found a lot of good breeders in VA, I'm shocked.

If you don't get a response via e-mail, they may simply not check their mail often. Call. I usually e-mail and ask when is a good time to call. If I don't get a response I call during the day and expect to leave a message. If I'm long distance (and I always am), I leave my e-mail so they can tell me when to call or if they want to call me back they can do so collect.

Not all good breeders have web sites. Those that do often have them more to show off their dogs than to advertise puppies. If you are seriously interested in a pup, you can call or e-mail. It wouldn't even occur to me to look for a price on a breeder's web site...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When I was looking for my Yorkie I went through some similar issues. I started out e-mailing everyone on my breeder referral list and when I only received one response I started calling. I ended up leaving messages for about 85% of the breeders and not a single one called me back. I don't know whether I came off the wrong way or what but it was really frustrating. I truly was close to giving up hope but I kept calling and kept e-mailing.. I'm sure I annoyed most of the Yorkie breeders around Texas with my constant e-mails. I did start getting a trickle of e-mails and phone calls back. Some of the breeders apologized because they had been away at shows and what not. After a while of this I finally got in contact with a really sweet breeder who referred me to Pixie's breeder. It was a pain in the butt having to go through so much but it was worth it. I bought Tuffy from a newspaper ad and he has had some health issues as well as growing up to be a big ol' boy w/ a really cottony coat so I really wanted to make sure to go to a reputable breeder for my Yorkie. Keep up the e-mails and calls and hopefully the breeders will realize how serious you are about getting a puppy from them. On the topic of shows, I've never had a breeder be rude to me at a show when I tried to get info from them. The ones I've spoken with always seemed to be happy to chat with me. But I guess it depends on the show and the breeder. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMM no I've hardly found any breeders in Virginia. I went from the AKC list and the AMA list which had a lot of the same breeders and I emailed everyone in VA, MD, WV, PA, and NC. I figured that was about as far as we could travel. I really would prefer to see the parents and the breeder's house and not have the puppy shipped. Ever since the Hollybelle incident, I really learned that reputation doesn't really mean much.

Then I also went looking on the internet for what looked like reputable breeders and emailed them as well. I got answers from the ones with websites....well, some of them. But it was all a dead end. Either prices were way too high, or they weren't planning on any litters, or they were keeping their females, etc...

At least some of the breeders w/ websites emailed me back but not one of the breeders from the AKC or AMA list did.
I guess I'll start calling people, but I thought that email would be easier for them to contact me at their convenience. Phone calls often lead to phone tag which is even more frustrating.

So is it common to not hear from breeders? I start to take it personally but do they do this to everybody? I just don't know what to do.

Mystify, I'm glad it's not just me. I guess I'm learning a lesson because in the past I would tell people to find a dog through the akc or the breed club of their breed and I made it sound so easy. I used to hear people complain about how hard it was to find a certain breed and I thought they were just exaggerating or not trying hard enough. Boy was I wrong!

VA and the rest of the south seem to have cornered the market on byb's just like the midwest has its puppy mills. It is so, so hard to find a good breeder.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
You're not alone.
I know exactly how you feel. I started calling breeders to look for Abbey a playmate & I never seem very satisfied when talking with them. They seem almost, well, offended with my questions. To me if you are going to buy something, not only expensive but that will be part of your family for the next several years - you should be entitled to ask questions. I want to make sure I find a good breeder though, especially with the Amish Country so close to where I live & I know people have alot of problems from dogs they have gotten from there. Until then, I think Abbey is satisfied being the little Princess she is!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Abby is gorgeous! May I ask where you got her? I know what you mean w/ being so close to Amish country. Nothing against Amish and I know not all Amish are puppy millers but around Lancaster PA and around Shenandoah VA there are many Amish communities and we have to be so careful. That's why I really want to be able to see a person's home and how all of their dogs live. Seeing websites like www.nopuppymills.com makes me ill.
I just don't want to be a part to that kind of cruelty in any way.

It seems like all the goodies are on the east and west coasts. What's up with that? I didn't realize the south was so lacking in good breeders. No wonder they are so hard to get a hold of. They are probably swarmed with requests.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I am sorry that you have had such poor response. When I was looking for Sadie in 2004 I did the same thing that you did - sent a long letter with our family situation, current pets, etc. I actually got pretty good response. Maybe at the time that I was looking there just happened to be breeders who had puppies available. One thing that I did that you might consider, is that I asked that even if breeder did not have any puppies available or planned, maybe they would know of another breeder who could help. This is the way that I was connected with Sadie and Sassy's breeder. There have been several threads on SM in recent weeks regarding people looking for pups. Search through those and maybe you'll find some breeders in your geographical area that you could contact. I hope that someone on SM can assist you.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abby is gorgeous! May I ask where you got her?

Thanks so much!
We certainly love her! I get sooo many comments on Abbey whenever we have her out anywhere. Of course, around here maltese are not commonly seen or heard of - for some reason. My hubby keeps saying - I think Abbey's perfect, we should just go back to her breeder. Which, I probably will end up doing - she is perfect in everyway to us - I just have this crazy desire to have the silky coat. Abbey has a cottony coat but not a really bad one, so I guess maybe you just have to give & take alittle. I am thankful she is sooo sweet & that she doesn't have much tearstaining.
I'll pm you the info. May be quite a drive for you though!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I know you have been hesistate to pick up the phone but sometimes that is the best way to do it. Breeders get tons and tons of email and they don't often have time to respond to all of them. You can try calling them in the afternoon or around 8:00. Be mindful if they are in a different time zone.

I remember I wrote about Nibbler and didn't get a response. I decieded to call her and if I didn't .. he would have been sold to someone else.

·
Registered
751 Posts

I'm embarrassed that I'm new here and coming off as so negative.[/B]
If you found a lot of good breeders in VA, I'm shocked.

If you don't get a response via e-mail, they may simply not check their mail often. Call. I usually e-mail and ask when is a good time to call. If I don't get a response I call during the day and expect to leave a message. If I'm long distance (and I always am), I leave my e-mail so they can tell me when to call or if they want to call me back they can do so collect.

Not all good breeders have web sites. Those that do often have them more to show off their dogs than to advertise puppies. If you are seriously interested in a pup, you can call or e-mail. It wouldn't even occur to me to look for a price on a breeder's web site...
[/B]

You are RIGHT there are not many good breeders in Va.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You might plan a trip to the Harrisburg dog shows in April...there are usually a good number of Maltese entered there.[/B]

Actually the dog show is in June. It's held 2 miles from my home and I attend every year. This year there were not as many Malts as there usually are. I hope there are more next year.

The show is held in Harrisonburg and Staunton. Both towns are within 30 miles of each other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kodie's mom why does the topic make you nervous?

That's great that there is a dog show in VA! So it's in June? I'd love to check it out. Thanks JMM and ConnieVa!

Frosty's mom, I'm willing to drive to West Virginia, Pennsylvania, north Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, anyplace that is within a 6 hour ride. Because we'd have to turn around and come straight home. If we drive longer, we'd have to stay in a hotel, and at that point the cost is just too high. I'd rather pay more and have the puppy shipped from a super breeder.

I want to thank all who have PM'd me helping me find breeders. I feel so much better now and I feel like there's hope! You all are a wonderful bunch with great taste in dogs!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been looking for a puppy for a few months now too. I guess I was very fortunate in that I got a response from almost everyone I contacted except the ones on the AMA list. For some reason, I was able to get a response from all the top breeders that were not listed on that list. I got replies from only about 3 people on the AMA list.

As far as trying to contact breeders. I would email them and wait a few days, if they did not reply, I gave them a call. I got responses from almost everyone. Even if they did not have any puppies available, they informed me of when they will. As I was very very cautious about finding a good Puppy, I asked very specific questions- a few times even requesting the information of the Vet they took thier puppies to, and I have called the Vets for reference on the breeder. They didn't seem to mind at all. I do understand when they are very busy- just imagine having to read so many emails everytime you log on and keeping track of who is who. Just be patient--- it will all be worth it in the end. You WILL find that perfect puppy for you!... as I did.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
When I was looking for a maltese it took me 9 months to find a breeder that I liked and who liked me, then another 5 months waiting for Lacey to be born and take her home. That was such a long year for me, but it paid off. Lacey is a wonderful little puppy that I just can't imagine life without. Keep looking, I know how hard and frustrating it can be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all for the support. As I told another member, I thought finding a malt from a breeder would be an easy and exciting experience lol. I had no idea how hard it would be! I know it will pay off in the end though.

another malt question, I notice on breeder's websites, some pups have ears that kind of stick up. Is that normal? Clifford's ears are kind of longer and droop. Don't malts have floppy ears? Or is it okay for their ears to perk up?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts