Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
You might plan a trip to the Harrisburg dog shows in April...there are usually a good number of Maltese entered there.[/B]

Actually the dog show is in June. It's held 2 miles from my home and I attend every year. This year there were not as many Malts as there usually are. I hope there are more next year.

The show is held in Harrisonburg and Staunton. Both towns are within 30 miles of each other.
[/B]
No, I meant Harrisburg, PA. It is a much larger show circuit and tends to get a good Maltese entry.
[/B]

Sorry I mis-read the word.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Charmypoo, I must have come across wrong or something. I personally, couldn't care less about champion bloodlines. I find it very impressive what show breeders do, but I want a maltese pet. That's it. I would like a female pet who is healthy and has a good temperment. But a show dog doesn't interest me at all.

I agree that there are a lot of breeders out there who would be labeled as a byb because they don't show. But they love and care about their dogs very much and they breed for health and temperment. This is what I'm looking for.

I figure if I can't get just a pet maltese for 2k, then I need to find another breed.

But the reason I want a female is because Clifford does much better with females than males. He can tolerate other males, but he doesn't bond with them. I think having a female with a male will be a good match.

I wish I had begun searching last year. Breeders are going up, up up in prices. I just found a breeder a couple weeks ago, www.majestymaltese.com. Their prices as of Friday were around $900 for a female malt and they also have maltipoos that were around $500. Just today I look at their site and now the maltipoos are $900 and the malts are $1500! In the course of a few days, their prices went up. It's crazy!

But actually with the help of so many wonderful people here, I have a few good breeders who have very reasonable prices that I'm looking at. I figure with a 2k limit, I should be fine just finding a pet. We'll see!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Charmypoo, I must have come across wrong or something. I personally, couldn't care less about champion bloodlines. I find it very impressive what show breeders do, but I want a maltese pet. That's it. I would like a female pet who is healthy and has a good temperment. But a show dog doesn't interest me at all.[/B]
Maltmom, I felt exactly like you when I got my first Malt, Rosebud (RIP), and when I got Kallie. I would see the high prices and would think, hey I don't want a show dog and I don't need champions in the pedigree; I just want a loving pet. But my opinion changed based on the information I've read.

From what I have read here on SM and other sites, I have come to the conclusion that even though we don't want show dogs ourselves, when buying from a breeder who does show, then we are more likely to get a Malt that is close to standard, assuming that is what we want. If they are breeding proven champions then the chances of their offspring being close to standard are pretty good. Sometimes one of the parents isn't a champion but a good breeder, from what I understand, will use these Malts because they have proven that their offspring are close to standard or can be shown. After all, consider CH Risque Business ROM the sire of 106 champions.... neither of his parents were champions! But they weren't pet store Malts, either. www.marcrismaltese.com

My main concern with BYB is the quality of their breeding stock. In the case of my first Malt Rosebud and Kallie, both sets of parents were from pet stores. So both of them were/are pretty far off from standard. Maltmom, I may have you mixed up with someone else, but I thought I had read that you were looking for a Malt that was reasonably close to standard. Unless there are a lot of champions in the pedigree, I don't see how you can then be sure of that. Of course, it might turn out that your puppy ends up looking and acting like a Malt, but IMO it is a crap shoot.

Those of you who are more experienced in this than I, please jump in here if I am misunderstanding something.

There is a great article about this subject on the Bhi-Jei site.

http://www.bhejei.com/ethical.htm

Here are some threads from SM with some good info:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6421

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5582

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Charmypoo, I must have come across wrong or something. I personally, couldn't care less about champion bloodlines. I find it very impressive what show breeders do, but I want a maltese pet. That's it. I would like a female pet who is healthy and has a good temperment. But a show dog doesn't interest me at all.[/B]
Maltmom, I felt exactly like you when I got my first Malt, Rosebud (RIP), and when I got Kallie. I would see the high prices and would think, hey I don't want a show dog and I don't need champions in the pedigree; I just want a loving pet. But my opinion changed based on the information I've read.

From what I have read here on SM and other sites, I have come to the conclusion that even though we don't want show dogs ourselves, when buying from a breeder who does show, then we are more likely to get a Malt that is close to standard, assuming that is what we want. If they are breeding proven champions then the chances of their offspring being close to standard are pretty good. Sometimes one of the parents isn't a champion but a good breeder, from what I understand, will use these Malts because they have proven that their offspring are close to standard or can be shown. After all, consider CH Risque Business ROM the sire of 106 champions.... neither of his parents were champions! But they weren't pet store Malts, either. www.marcrismaltese.com

My main concern with BYB is the quality of their breeding stock. In the case of my first Malt Rosebud and Kallie, both sets of parents were from pet stores. So both of them were/are pretty far off from standard. Maltmom, I may have you mixed up with someone else, but I thought I had read that you were looking for a Malt that was reasonably close to standard. Unless there are a lot of champions in the pedigree, I don't see how you can then be sure of that. Of course, it might turn out that your puppy ends up looking and acting like a Malt, but IMO it is a crap shoot.

Those of you who are more experienced in this than I, please jump in here if I am misunderstanding something.

There is a great article about this subject on the Bhi-Jei site.

http://www.bhejei.com/ethical.htm

Here are some threads from SM with some good info:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6421

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5582
[/B]

You have presented some very good points. I would like to add one thing here, which is one of the things I see as being so misleading for people selecting a pet.
There is a growing trend for some breeders to go out and buy the dog with the best pedigree they can find (some are champions), and breed it to whatever is in their kennel. They have very little understanding of standard and the lines in the dogs, they are just building a pedigree to sell pups. There are known instances of champions being sold into these places because they were not considered the quality the original breeder or the person who got the champion on the dog wanted. They may produce cotton coat or bad topline, or poor pigment. So, they dumped them for a sum of ten to fifteen thousand at times. Then, this breeder with ten or fifteen females goes to breeding, charging more for their pups because they have a champion.
These are NOT show kennels. They have no intention of putting their dogs in the ring, and their main goal is lining their pocket. They charge as much, and sometime more than people actively involved in the sport of showing.
If I were looking at a dog, I would be wary of people like this.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wish I had begun searching last year. Breeders are going up, up up in prices. I just found a breeder a couple weeks ago, www.majestymaltese.com. Their prices as of Friday were around $900 for a female malt and they also have maltipoos that were around $500. Just today I look at their site and now the maltipoos are $900 and the malts are $1500! In the course of a few days, their prices went up. It's crazy![/B]
Hi Maltmom,
I must have misunderstood and I apologize. It shouldn't be very difficult to find a pet Maltese for under $2 K. I have came across a lot of wonderful pets but just not show quality which is what I am looking for.

Are you sure MajestyMaltese breeds maltipoos? I am pretty sure she only breeds Maltese. I am surprised.

I wish you good luck and I will let you know of any cutie pies I see.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I wish I had begun searching last year. Breeders are going up, up up in prices. I just found a breeder a couple weeks ago, www.majestymaltese.com. Their prices as of Friday were around $900 for a female malt and they also have maltipoos that were around $500. Just today I look at their site and now the maltipoos are $900 and the malts are $1500! In the course of a few days, their prices went up. It's crazy![/B]
Hi Maltmom,
I must have misunderstood and I apologize. It shouldn't be very difficult to find a pet Maltese for under $2 K. I have came across a lot of wonderful pets but just not show quality which is what I am looking for.

Are you sure MajestyMaltese breeds maltipoos? I am pretty sure she only breeds Maltese. I am surprised.

I wish you good luck and I will let you know of any cutie pies I see.
[/B]
I just went to Majesty Maltese's website and don't see anything about maltipoos. Are you sure you saw it on there site? I don't even see anything about their prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
oops! It's www.majesticmaltese.com.

Majestic Maltese is the one that has maltipoos. I've seen so many breeders, I get the names confused. My apologies to Majesty Maltese!

Am I correct to assume that a breeder who has maltipoos or any mixed breeds is one to steer clear from? That's always been my understanding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My breeder is in the Pittsburgh area, and she's fabulous. She is really dedicated and passionate about bettering the breed, and breeds 2-3 times a year, max. If you google "josymir maltese" her website and contact info should come up. Please let me know if I can help in any way!

JMM no I've hardly found any breeders in Virginia. I went from the AKC list and the AMA list which had a lot of the same breeders and I emailed everyone in VA, MD, WV, PA, and NC. I figured that was about as far as we could travel. I really would prefer to see the parents and the breeder's house and not have the puppy shipped. Ever since the Hollybelle incident, I really learned that reputation doesn't really mean much.

Then I also went looking on the internet for what looked like reputable breeders and emailed them as well. I got answers from the ones with websites....well, some of them. But it was all a dead end. Either prices were way too high, or they weren't planning on any litters, or they were keeping their females, etc...

At least some of the breeders w/ websites emailed me back but not one of the breeders from the AKC or AMA list did.
I guess I'll start calling people, but I thought that email would be easier for them to contact me at their convenience. Phone calls often lead to phone tag which is even more frustrating.

So is it common to not hear from breeders? I start to take it personally but do they do this to everybody? I just don't know what to do.

Mystify, I'm glad it's not just me. I guess I'm learning a lesson because in the past I would tell people to find a dog through the akc or the breed club of their breed and I made it sound so easy. I used to hear people complain about how hard it was to find a certain breed and I thought they were just exaggerating or not trying hard enough. Boy was I wrong!

VA and the rest of the south seem to have cornered the market on byb's just like the midwest has its puppy mills. It is so, so hard to find a good breeder.[/B]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been looking for a female malt for a few months now. I have a little boy, Clifford, who is my heart and soul. I know that responsible breeders are so, so busy and probably bombarded with calls and silly questions. I really do understand that. That is why I always email breeders rather than call them. I figure they can email me back when they get a chance. When you call, you never know if the time is good or not.

I've done all breed rescue for years so I know what some pet peeves regarding people wanting to adopt. I used to hate when I got emails that said "how much for your dog?" or "is the dog still available?". It's like, tell me about yourself, tell me about what kind of home you will provide this dog, don't make me play 20 questions with you.

So when I've sent out emails to breeders, I tell each one about my life, the fact that my husband and I are in our 30's, we won't be having children, I work from home, I have years of experience working for a vet in the past and I've done rescue for years, I own a malt, etc etc. I think that we really are a wonderful home for a malt if I do say so myself!

I was reading a thread from Jan 2005 regarding this topic so I thought I'd start fresh. I know people suggest looking breeders from the AKC or the AMA. I have emailed every single breeder that is even close to my area and not one has contacted me back. Not one!
It's been weeks so I've given up hope of hearing from any of them now.

Now I would never in a million years buy from a pet store, because my conscience would never let me. But for the first time, I can see why people end up at pet stores or just opening up their classifieds section and buying a dog from there. The process is so frustrating. Also I know people suggest going to dog shows, but I'm really leary of doing that. There is a pet board that I belong to that has a few breeders and showers and they have all said that one of their biggest pet peeves is when they are at a show and people try to talk to them. They said they have a million things to do and they are under a lot of pressure as it is and people asking them questions about their dogs or how to get a puppy is very annoying.

So I don't know what to do! I was originally looking to spend about 1500 but now I'm even willing to spend 2k on a female. I would love a pup anytime between summer and Christmas so it's not like I'm in a hurry either.

Also anyone know why some breeders don't put prices on their websites? I've had a few breeders contact me whose websites I found just by looking them up on the web. One told me her females started at 2800. Another told me 1800-2k for a girl. This was last month when 1500 was my limit. It would make things so much easier if all breeders put prices on their site. Wouldn't it save buyers and the breeders a lot of time if they put prices there so this way if they are way out of your price range, you can just not waste each other's time? Anyone know why many breeders don't put prices?

thanks for letting me vent
I'm embarrassed that I'm new here and coming off as so negative.
It’s Brutal ! They don’t call back or they tell you a litter is due on a certain date and then they never follow through ...and you wonder is my puppy born ?am I going to get a puppy but no one calls! ! I don’t think I know of another industry like this💔💔🔥

·
Registered
10 Posts
My breeder is in the Pittsburgh area, and she's fabulous. She is really dedicated and passionate about bettering the breed, and breeds 2-3 times a year, max. If you google "josymir maltese" her website and contact info should come up. Please let me know if I can help in any way!
I will try her 🙏🏻🙏🏻Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been looking for a female malt for a few months now. I have a little boy, Clifford, who is my heart and soul. I know that responsible breeders are so, so busy and probably bombarded with calls and silly questions. I really do understand that. That is why I always email breeders rather than call them. I figure they can email me back when they get a chance. When you call, you never know if the time is good or not.

I've done all breed rescue for years so I know what some pet peeves regarding people wanting to adopt. I used to hate when I got emails that said "how much for your dog?" or "is the dog still available?". It's like, tell me about yourself, tell me about what kind of home you will provide this dog, don't make me play 20 questions with you.

So when I've sent out emails to breeders, I tell each one about my life, the fact that my husband and I are in our 30's, we won't be having children, I work from home, I have years of experience working for a vet in the past and I've done rescue for years, I own a malt, etc etc. I think that we really are a wonderful home for a malt if I do say so myself!

I was reading a thread from Jan 2005 regarding this topic so I thought I'd start fresh. I know people suggest looking breeders from the AKC or the AMA. I have emailed every single breeder that is even close to my area and not one has contacted me back. Not one!

Now I would never in a million years buy from a pet store, because my conscience would never let me. But for the first time, I can see why people end up at pet stores or just opening up their classifieds section and buying a dog from there. The process is so frustrating. Also I know people suggest going to dog shows, but I'm really leary of doing that. There is a pet board that I belong to that has a few breeders and showers and they have all said that one of their biggest pet peeves is when they are at a show and people try to talk to them. They said they have a million things to do and they are under a lot of pressure as it is and people asking them questions about their dogs or how to get a puppy is very annoying.

So I don't know what to do! I was originally looking to spend about 1500 but now I'm even willing to spend 2k on a female. I would love a pup anytime between summer and Christmas so it's not like I'm in a hurry either.

Also anyone know why some breeders don't put prices on their websites? I've had a few breeders contact me whose websites I found just by looking them up on the web. One told me her females started at 2800. Another told me 1800-2k for a girl. This was last month when 1500 was my limit. It would make things so much easier if all breeders put prices on their site. Wouldn't it save buyers and the breeders a lot of time if they put prices there so this way if they are way out of your price range, you can just not waste each other's time? Anyone know why many breeders don't put prices?

i was noticing in Arizona the breeders are asking 4,000 for a female. There were a few of them asking that much! I bought my 1st malt from a pet store. He was 2,000 14 years ago? I didn’t plan on getting a dog that day? he did have health issues too? Plus he was a lot larger than I see here? But I loved him! I decide to get another one since he passed 5 months ago now. This time a girl. I found a breeder and put a deposit on one. She is 2,500. Luckily I got a stimulus check to help me cover her cost. But now the girls are more than that in calif. I figure I would rather get a puppy from a breeder, than a puppy mill? What I don’t understand is that dogs that are mixed like Yorky and Maltese cost more than a Maltese? Who knows? I would think a full blood dog should cost more? One guy at the beach said that his dog cost 4,000 was a poodle and golden retriever? My friends think i should not pay a cent for a god? i think you get what you pay for. Plus research helps too! Hope you find your baby soon mine is now three weeks old!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i was noticing in Arizona the breeders are asking 4,000 for a female. There were a few of them asking that much! I bought my 1st malt from a pet store. He was 2,000 14 years ago? I didn’t plan on getting a dog that day? he did have health issues too? Plus he was a lot larger than I see here? But I loved him! I decide to get another one since he passed 5 months ago now. This time a girl. I found a breeder and put a deposit on one. She is 2,500. Luckily I got a stimulus check to help me cover her cost. But now the girls are more than that in calif. I figure I would rather get a puppy from a breeder, than a puppy mill? What I don’t understand is that dogs that are mixed like Yorky and Maltese cost more than a Maltese? Who knows? I would think a full blood dog should cost more? One guy at the beach said that his dog cost 4,000 was a poodle and golden retriever? My friends think i should not pay a cent for a god? i think you get what you pay for. Plus research helps too! Hope you find your baby soon mine is now three weeks old!
Dog not god

·
Premium Member
20,030 Posts
Maltese are crazy expensive anymore!! I guess the price of everything is going up everywhere, so everything they need to purchase is more expensive too. Don't know what the answer is, but I have to say back in October I had a retiring show breeder offer me a very pretty female pup for a great price...unfortunately, I was on my way home from a road trip...picking up a new puppy. (figures...lol) If you're on Facebook, there is a group called something like Maltese Show Breeder puppy and retiree avability group - I never remember the exact name. They are a group of show breeders who have puppies occasionally. Good luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Rescues are another option. AMAR, SCMR, NCMR are all reputable rescues for Maltese. Show breeders also have retirees as Pat mentioned. Casper is a retiree. I was originally looking for a rescue, but the perfect dog never emergered, so I began looking for a retiree. Casper and I could not be happier. Some breeders also have fairly young dogs that they held back to potentially compete, but decided they were not the best choice for the ring. I know that some breeders are slow in responding, and often a personal connection can be useful.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
6 Posts

Your experience seems to be the norm and not at all unusual - breeders are notorious for not returning emails or phone calls. We went through probably 12-15 breeders looking for a 6-12 month old female and we were Willing to pay their exhorbitant prices and it was still like pulling teeth -and truthfully we were looking for a rare, premium product - because they usually keep the best females to show or breed -so the females are always harder to find - regardless of your price range. I’m just going to go out on a Limb and tell you yo just Just keep emailing them and calling until you get an answer / you must be very persistent to get their attention but as someone else has already mentioned- $2,000 for a female from a top AMA breeder probably isn’t realistic - just telling you my own experience- best of luck to you !!

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Here in CA from my experience I'd say triple that if you want female top notch pedigree.
🐶 🌻🐾

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Just realized this is an OLD post - sorry!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts