Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had my stroke for the morning! I was returning from taking the boys to school and had Delilah in my arms. I get in the front door and when I put her down on the foyer floor, the door didn't latch all the way and she bolted out the front door to chase the cat. Then she saw a lady walking her dog, forgot about the cat and made a bee line for the street. Me all the while screaming like a fool for her to stop. She just kept on running to the lady and her dog.
So as her punishment, I gave her a very stern no and put her in her crate.

Even when the cats come inside to eat, she is constantly chasing, yapping and nipping at their feet. So I have to put her up in her crate just so the cats can eat in peace!

How do I stop/correct these behaviors?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am sorry girl! That would have given me a heart attack too! Maybe you can put Delilah on a lead and supervise interactions with the cat. Anytime Delilah does something to terrorize the cat, clap your hands and tell her, "leave it!". When she stops the action and looks at you, praise her and give her a treat. (JMM correct me if there is a better way)

Soonif you practice daily, she should be trusted off lead to interact with the cat. Hopefully she will learn that the cat is something off limits.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You did one of the worst things you could do - teach your dog that bad things happen when you come to me. Would you run back to someone yelling and chasing you? Heck no! You'd head the other way. Would you ever want to come if you got scolded and locked up for coming? Nope.
The behavior immediate to your consequence is what the dog thinks the consequence is for. So coming back to you results in something undesirable. The dog does not connect that running off is what you disliked.

Welcome to Dogwise.com
Really Reliable Recall is a great idea.

As far as the cats I put the dog on leash and wait for calm behavior. Click/treat for calm. Eventually I add in a cue such as "What good cats" so my dog has learned the presence of cats paired with calm behavior results in good things. If the dog is frantic walk out of the room for a few second of calm and return.
I've also taught dogs that looking at a cat and returning attention to me earns rewards. This has worked well for some herding breeds.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I knew you were gonna say that Jaime! She scared me so bad because the garbage trucks were out and I heard one coming down the street. They are not exactly known for going the 25 mph speed limit! She was wide open and didn't even give me a passing glance. She was just focused on the cat and other dog! She sees another dog, she barks her head off. Something I have been trying to stop as well.

TY for the link. I am going to order it!

·
Registered
842 Posts
No advice because Nelson is the same way. I know he would run into the street if he ever got out. We live on a main BUSY road. Scares me to death to think about it. I won't even put him down for our walks until we are on the side street.

But puppy school is what I would suggest. That is what we are doing. For simply to learn how to stay and come when called. He is like a 2 year old. In the yard or house, he does the neener neener you can't catch me bit. Where he jumps just out of your reach. You cannot catch him at all, he thinks it's a game. So maybe she needs to learn some manners too? Lifesaving manners! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When Coco was a puppy, she did exactly the same thing. I thought for sure that I'd lost her for good, as she ran toward the gate of the neighborhorhood which, of course, went out to the main road. Fortunately, I'd taught Coco the word treat, and I starting telling her that I had a treat for her. She finally came running over to me. I was never so relieved. I know the fear you had at the time, but rewarding them for coming to you is a much better idea. I'd also keep her on a leash. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The Really Reliable Recall really does work. I've seen it work for MANY dogs of many breeds. As long as you do it exactly as instructed and don't abuse the word you choose.

I've heard so many different really reliable recall words: Turkey Dinner, Monterey, Shazam, Pronto, The Goose is Loose, Chardonnay, etc...

It's very important to teach your dog that coming to you is the greatest thing ever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts