Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone. I need advice here. My Mitzi dosent come to me when i call her she just stares at me
i slap my legs for her to come, i say her name i talk sweet to her and nothing she just stares
so if i want her i have to get up to get her , Do you guys know why she does this?? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Do you sometimes call her to you and then do something she doesn't like such as grooming or going in her crate or leave? If so, then she probably associates coming to you with something negative.

You need to start training her to "come" and giving rewards....Put her on a leash and get a couple feet from her. Hold the leash and say 'come" and gently give the leash a little tug so she'll move toward you. Then when she gets to you, give her a treat......... Then keep going farther back.... There is more to this command than I have time to write today since I'm running late in getting ready for my trip, but I suggest getting a training book or going to some obedience classes with her... The classes will teach you how to train for the "come" command... Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I did it the hard way.Ever time I asked them to come and they didnt,I went and got them.I made sure I gave them a treat even though I went and got them. They knew I would get them if they didnt come , finally they would just come.Now they come all the time,but as K/C Mom said make sure you just dont ask them to come for bad stuff,give them treats each time for everything. good luck

·
Registered
522 Posts
I never call Izzy to me for 'bad' stuff like bath time or gated community time. I go get her instead. I kept small treats beside my desk and I would call Izzy several times an hour and click when she started towards me and simply give her a treat and not say anything else. Now she will come racing from anywhere on the off-chance I have a treat.

Also, in the times when she does ignore me, I pretend that I'm playing with my other dog and she'll come flying.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@May 15 2005, 11:40 PM
Also, in the times when she does ignore me, I pretend that I'm playing with my other dog and she'll come flying. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62527
[/QUOTE]

I do that too! Its so funny! Especially since we dont have another dog

I was also told of another method by another trainer. She does the leash one too where you say come and give it a tug... You can also hold a treat down at her level, and back away from her a few steps at a time all the while saying "come".

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shoot,Harley thinks your playing when you call him-he will run in circles when you want him to come inside. He'll jump around,bark,....you name it.We've tricked him with treats,etc.He only comes when he's good and ready :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts