Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to mention a story that has been in our newspaper the last couple days. On SM, we've been discussing whether or not to give the rabies shot to our babies and I thought this might fit in. Even though the dog in this case is not a Maltese, it could have been. Luckily, most of us never leave our babies unattended, but this is just an example of what can happen when we least expect it.

The story is that a family had a yellow lab and she was 13 weeks old. She was out in her fenced yard when the lady who owned her saw that an animal had gotten hold of her dog's muzzle through the fence and would not let go. The owner went to the other side of the fence and struggled with the other animal, which at the time was assumed to be a dog. She finally pulled the animal away from her dog but was bitten several times and is being treated for rabies because the animal that attacked her was not immediately captured, but a rabid fox was found the next day in the same area.

They had to put the puppy to sleep because "there was a high probability that she would contract rabies." (since she was too young yet to have had her rabies shot) and the only other choice was quarantine for six months. The lady's husband said, "It was a gut-wrenching decision. I wish there had been another way. Everybody was trying to figure a way around this."

Can you just imagine the emotional pain this family is going through... sooo sad.

Such a sad story and really no one did anything wrong... the puppy was too young to have had a rabies shot but if he had been older and had the shot, all would have been A-OK... except for the poor lady who is still being treated....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The other animal was a dog, or the fox? I read it as another dog...right? But since they didn't know the animal, they didn't know if it was rabid?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
good story K/C, thanks for posting this. lots of us think this could never happen to my baby, but it can. this story shows that very fact. it's really sad it had to end the way it did. i feel for the woman undergoing treatment. it is not a pleasant thing to go through. that is why all vets are vaccinated. if they get bit, they can just get a booster shot. a lot less painful and less invasive than the treatment.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by tlunn@Mar 5 2005, 07:56 PM
The other animal was a dog, or the fox? I read it as another dog...right? But since they didn't know the animal, they didn't know if it was rabid?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40306
[/QUOTE]

At first they thought the other animal was a dog... that was what was first assumed. Then they found a rabid fox a short distance away and guessed that the fox must have been the animal that attacked the dog..... I imagine in the horror of the moment the lady wasn't able to look closely at it...

I edited the orignal post to hopefully make it more clear about which animal was which!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts