Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wtaching my cousins maltese, mandy fro about 6 months. (was supposed to be 2 weeks) she loves my pups, mini and frosty. Unfortunatly, today she came and said she is ready to take the dog home and that her apartment is ready to move in.

I wasnt home when she came for the dog. Probably i would not give it to her. What kind of person gives her dog away for 6 months, not to mention that she was only 4 months at the time.

She grew with us and was part of the family!!! i feel like i had to give up my own dog

My dogs are sad. especially mini who is her sister (we got them from the same breeder.)

I feel horrible. She probably feels like i gave her away because she was bad?!?!?

I wonder whose going to feel her all the goodies, vitamins, and buy her toys and clothing. This thought makes me cry.

i will probably go visit soon, and buy her the things that she will need.

Sorry this was so long. But who will understand better if not you guys
my mom said that she aslo got attached but after all its only a dog. NOT.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you:( Does your cousin live close to you so you can visit often? That would help everyone adjust plus the puppies could still play sometimes.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
AAAW!
So sorry! It is so easy to get attached to these little fluff-butts! Hopefully you can have visitation and playtime...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am so sorry, kinda made me mad when I read this. The nerve of her to come and take her when you were not there and you have cared for her so long.

Did she visit much and play with her? What did they have to do build the apartment? I personally think she should have went and purchased another dog. Left Mandy were she was, if you wanted to keep her and was no burden to you.

I swear people, don't think these little guys don't have hearts and feelings. To bad Mandy could not speak up for herself, bet she would have stayed with you and the other dogs.

Huggsss to you and let us know how Mandy's doing. If I were you I would keep check on her, how you know that she will want to keep the dog anyway since she give her to you in the 1st place.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ania,

I think I recall a posting from you months ago about this situation. You may be able to make a case for ownership since you have cared for her for so long. Plus, didn't you mention that your cousin had been very neglectful of her and could really care less about her? Have you tried offering to pay for her? Or even making a case to keep her?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Maybe the best thing would be to try to stay as friendly and nice as possible, all the while letting her know that if she gets into a jam and can't keep the puppy that you are prepared to buy her (or whatever) and take care of her. And of course she could come and VISIT occassionally. If you tick her off you'll probably never get the chance to see the puppy or she'll give it away without even telling you. Its a really crummy situation for you. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree with MsMagnolia, the best course of action might be staying close to your cousin and the puppy. And always offer to pup-sit and help out in a pinch, all the while telling her you will take her back if the puppy doesn't adjust to her new home.
I'm sorry you're feeling so badly, I would to.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yeah I agree. That's kinda what I did with my turtle. It was my best friends (who also was my roomate for years in college and out) turtle and she got him just as we moved out of her parents house and into college. He was just a hatchling (baby) when she got him and I ended up caring for him more than her. I always changed his water (she refused because you had to suck on the end of one of those hoses to get teh suction going). She did feed him though I would have if she didn't. Then after our first semester she moved to another town and another college. She moved into an apatrment with her boyfriend and took the turtle. I visited a couple times (she lived 5 hours away) and always commented on how dirty his water was. Finally when she moved out of her boyufriends she said I could take care of the turtle for a while. So my second year of college I took Binx with me. After I graduated she saw how happy he was and how well I had cared for him and she said that I could keep him. Now he lives in a 90 gal tank (he started out in a 10 gal when she had him) in my diningroom. He is over 5 years old now and much happier with me. He would probably be dead if she still had him. Or she would have dumped him in the nearest lake.
My point is, if your cousin sees how much you love her dog and how well you take care of it, then when she gets tired of caring for the dog she will offer it to you. It might take longer this way or you may never get the dog but at least she wont get mad at you and never let you see the dog again.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm sorry mandy had to leave. It's so hard not to get attached, especially when you've cared for her for so long. Hopefully you will be able to visit or she could visit you. I hope it all works out for you!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you still had to give her to your cousin. Let's just hope she can make Mandy as happy as you did. It'll be ok. At least you can still see her. Take care.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wish it was so easy. I offered $500 for mandy but she said that if it wasnt for her 5 year old son, she would give me the dog.

She never cared for her, never visited, and when she came to pick up the dog, my brother told me that she had no clue which dog was her?!?!?!

she promised she will let me take her for the weekends. (sometimes)

I will have to go there sometime today and pick give her all her toys blankets etc.

My heart is breaking when i see my dogs sitting there all sad. They stoped eating and dont want to play.

My boyfriend said he will go there and steal her one day

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Ania@Jan 31 2005, 10:10 AM
i wish it was so easy. I offered $500 for mandy but she said that if it wasnt for her 5 year old son, she would give me the dog.

She never cared for her,  never visited, and when she came to pick up the dog, my brother told me that she had no clue which dog was her?!?!?!

she promised she will let me take her for the weekends. (sometimes)

I will have to go there sometime today and pick give her all her toys blankets etc.

My heart is breaking when i see my dogs sitting there all sad. They stoped eating and dont want to play. 

My boyfriend said he will go there and steal her one day 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32489
[/QUOTE]

I would be patient and keep in close touch and hopefully she'll get tired of caring for her. I wouldn't be surprised if the "novelty" wears off soon.... Especially trying to care for a five-year-old as well as Mandy. I surely wouldn't steal the dog.... that would only cause more problems.... I would just stay very close and keep letting her know of your wishes... I sure hope you get her back!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww. I feel so bad for you. A Kagillion XOXO's for you from ButterCloud and Noriko.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh GOD-this is awful for you and for the dog. If you went to court, I KNOW they'd award you the dog-the place the dog is used to always wins.
BUT-this is your cousin-you may not want to alienate her.

I think it was heartless of her to leave the dog to begin with, then yank her from her home where she was so loved. She should just get the kid another puppy-I have 3 children-my 6 year old would readily accept a puppy. Especially if the child hasn't even lived with the dog for 6 months.

My heart breaks for you-I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I imagine the pup is not use to small children either.....sad for sure. Maybe try and see if she would be willing to go with you to the local shelter and pick out a dog to rescue?? One that was more suited for a 5 year old?? Tell her how you feel and that you have bonded so strongly with the puppy....she just may be willing to do that....
hugs for you and your other pups....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys... i dont think my cousin wants to give her out. I offered money and she didnt agree. The good thing is that shes com ing today to get all the stuff... im hoping she will bring mandy along... :excl:

my wish is that she will get bored with the dog, or im hoping she will pee all over her new wooden floors and carpets. And chews on her most expensive pair of shoes. I hope she bites her.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Here's to hoping she's the worst dog ever! LOL Most dogs end up peeing and pooping in strange places anyway so she might just do that. Hope it's enough to push your cousin over the edge and into giving her back to you! Also if the 5 year old hugs too hard or hurts the dog, she might bite him and that would make your cousin want to give the dog back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts