Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. I have to take MuShu on a trip (6 hr car ride) with me. He will be 12 weeks by then. But he won't have all his shots yet. My questions are:
#1 Is it safe for him to be around people cuz I'm sure family will wanna meet him

#2 Is it safe for him to be around another dog (he's a 1 yr old ShiTzu with all shots update and stays home most of the time)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by DiDi@Apr 22 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Everybody.  I have to take MuShu on a trip (6 hr car ride) with me.  He will be 12 weeks by then. But he won't have all his shots yet.  My questions are:
#1 Is it safe for him to be around people cuz I'm sure family will wanna meet him

#2 Is it safe for him to be around another dog (he's a 1 yr old ShiTzu with all shots update and stays home most of the time)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55414
[/QUOTE]

just to be save i wouldnt have MuShu around other dogs before he had all his shots
and i would limit the ppl he interacts with until he's settled down at home with u

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by mee+Apr 22 2005, 03:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DiDi
@Apr 22 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Everybody.  I have to take MuShu on a trip (6 hr car ride) with me.  He will be 12 weeks by then. But he won't have all his shots yet.  My questions are:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55414
just to be save i wouldnt have MuShu around other dogs before he had all his shots
and i would limit the ppl he interacts with until he's settled down at home with u
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55416
[/B][/QUOTE]

Crap. Alright. Guess I'll tell his Grandma and Grandpa to not touch him while we visit. He'll have to meet his cousin Milo a little later.
Safety 1st!!! I think my breeder would have a fit if she read my post. Shh...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse's feet never hit the ground (outside) until ALL her shots (including Rabies) were completed. It's just not worth it to expose them to something. Especially if you are taking the puppy to an area where you do not know. Meaning, you don't know if there is a high incidence of Parvo or Lepto etc......Good question!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 22 2005, 04:05 PM
Sisse's feet never hit the ground (outside) until ALL her shots (including Rabies) were completed.  It's just not worth it to expose them to something.  Especially if you are taking the puppy to an area where you do not know.  Meaning, you don't know if there is a high incidence of Parvo or Lepto etc......Good question!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55419
[/QUOTE]
Understood!!! MuShu's feet will not touch anything outside and be kept STRICTLY indooors until then. I found this Vaccine Schedule online. Is this accurate? Which one is the rabies one?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm taking Tic for his 3rd set of shots next month and the vet said she'll do the rabies then. The breeder started Tic's shots for me which was pretty cool!! Saved me some $$!! I'm not sure if it is standard for them to get it with the 3rd set, but just letting you know what we're doing

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Apr 22 2005, 04:14 PM
I'm taking Tic for his 3rd set of shots next month and the vet said she'll do the rabies then.  The breeder started Tic's shots for me which was pretty cool!!  Saved me some $$!!  I'm not sure if it is standard for them to get it with the 3rd set, but just letting you know what we're doing

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55421
[/QUOTE]
Cool Thanx! I wish I didn't have to take him somewhere but I will be as careful as I can to keep him inside his carrier/indoors/car at all times. Shouldn't be that hard right?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Apr 22 2005, 04:14 PM
I'm taking Tic for his 3rd set of shots next month and the vet said she'll do the rabies then.  The breeder started Tic's shots for me which was pretty cool!!  Saved me some $$!!  I'm not sure if it is standard for them to get it with the 3rd set, but just letting you know what we're doing

[/QUOTE]

FYI... it's best to wait and do rabies a few weeks after the other shots... less stress on their immune system..... Vets never seem to mention that, yet when I told my vet that that is what I wanted to do, he readily agreed!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
DiDi, if a lot of people are going to be in the house with him I would have them remove their shoes... the problem with him being around a lot of people, etc. is they can bring something in on their shoes and not even realize it. Gosh, my vet said even a fly can bring parvo in to your house!

I think it is not just the fact that he hasn't had all his shots but his immune system is just getting in to gear, so to speak, and he might be more likely to contact something than when he is older.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 22 2005, 05:30 PM
DiDi, if a lot of people are going to be in the house with him I would have them remove their shoes... the problem with him being around a lot of people, etc. is they can bring something in on their shoes and not even realize it. Gosh, my vet said even a fly can bring parvo in to your house!

I think it is not just the fact that he hasn't had all his shots but his immune system is just getting in to gear, so to speak, and he might be more likely to contact something than when he is older.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55449
[/QUOTE]

Alright. I will tell everyone to take their shoes off and wash their feet!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree. We didn't know anything when we got Fantasia and we let her potty outside all the way from NY to NJ and then we tried to train her to go potty outside as soon as we brought her home. She was only 8 weeks old too. We also let her walk on the floor at PetsMart
until someone told us about not letting her till she had all her shots! We were lucky that she didn't get anything.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DiDi+Apr 22 2005, 05:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Apr 22 2005, 05:30 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55449
Alright. I will tell everyone to take their shoes off and wash their feet!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55451
[/B][/QUOTE]
They probably don't need to wash their feet if they have not walked anywhere barefoot!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would NOT use that schedule. There is NO REASON to vaccinate every 2 weeks. The dog should be vaccinated with DHPP (no lepto, preferably no corona but that's somewhat optional) every 3-4 weeks until 16 weeks of age. That usually works out to a total of 3-4 vaccines depending on how old they are started.

The rabies vaccine should be separated from the last DHPP by a couple of weeks.

A year after the last DHPP, the dog will need a booster. After that, it only needs a booster every 3 years. The same with rabies unless the law in your state requires annual rabies.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 22 2005, 05:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Apr 22 2005, 04:14 PM

FYI... it's best to wait and do rabies a few weeks after the other shots... less stress on their immune system..... Vets never seem to mention that, yet when I told my vet that that is what I wanted to do, he readily agreed!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55447
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks k/c'mom, I was wrong, the third (and last) set was taken care of a few days before I picked him up, we only have the rabies left for next month. Thanks for looking out for us though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts