Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wouldn't you know it, Ruby is scheduled to be spayed, baby teeth pulled and micro-chipped on Friday and I noticed yesterday that her vagina is swollen. Our favorite vet doesn't do surgery anymore so we called the office today and spoke to one of the other vets and he said that it's ok to do the spay but that they charge extra (which is fine) because there is more to do. I'm happy with the fact that they do use the anesthesia that LadyMontava said is the best, monitor their vitals, intubate and prescribe pain pills. I just don't know if it is truly safe.

A very protective Malt mommy needs some advice!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it, Ruby is scheduled to be spayed, baby teeth pulled and micro-chipped on Friday and I noticed yesterday that her vagina is swollen. Our favorite vet doesn't do surgery anymore so we called the office today and spoke to one of the other vets and he said that it's ok to do the spay but that they charge extra (which is fine) because there is more to do. I'm happy with the fact that they do use the anesthesia that LadyMontava said is the best, monitor their vitals, intubate and prescribe pain pills. I just don't know if it is truly safe.

A very protective Malt mommy needs some advice!!
[/B]
When they are in heat the uterus is engorged and there is more blood flow. There is more risk of bleeding and complications when you spay them while in heat. Unless there is a reason why it has to be done now, I would wait until about 3 months after her season. Of course, it is an individual decision you should discuss with your vet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it, Ruby is scheduled to be spayed, baby teeth pulled and micro-chipped on Friday and I noticed yesterday that her vagina is swollen. Our favorite vet doesn't do surgery anymore so we called the office today and spoke to one of the other vets and he said that it's ok to do the spay but that they charge extra (which is fine) because there is more to do. I'm happy with the fact that they do use the anesthesia that LadyMontava said is the best, monitor their vitals, intubate and prescribe pain pills. I just don't know if it is truly safe.

A very protective Malt mommy needs some advice!!
[/B]
When they are in heat the uterus is engorged and there is more blood flow. There is more risk of bleeding and complications when you spay them while in heat. Unless there is a reason why it has to be done now, I would wait until about 3 months after her season. Of course, it is an individual decision you should discuss with your vet.
[/B]
Jackie, would it be as engorged as the very beginning of the heat... just wondering if the heat started just a couple days ago... would that make it less dangerous ??

Here's more info to support Jackie's answer:

Can I have my dog spayed while she's in heat?
Answer: It's possible to spay a dog during estrus, or heat, but it's not the best time. Most veterinarians prefer not to spay a dog in estrus because the uterine tissue can be swollen, fragile, and more prone to damage. Dogs also have a tendency to bleed more when they're in heat. Because of this, estrus makes surgery more risky for dogs, as well as for cats. Most veterinarians prefer to delay spaying a dog until she has been out of estrus for a month or so. And, since a recently spayed dog may still be attractive to males, performing the surgery during heat won't do anything to keep the neighbors' dogs out of your yard. The best thing for your dog's health is to keep her safe inside for now and to have your veterinarian perform surgery in a month or so.
http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=24&sid=1

Can my female dog be spayed while she is in heat or while she is pregnant?
It is best to wait until a female is out of heat before she is spayed. During the heat cycle all the blood vessels that lead to the ovaries and uterus are inflamed and this makes surgery more of a risk to the dog. A dog can be spayed if she is early pregnant. You should discuss this with a veterinarian.
http://www.veterinarypetcare.com/veterinaryquestions.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to call and talk to her vet tomorrow, he was off today. She has some baby teeth that are (I think) starting to rot. The gums around the double row of teeth are really dark brown. If he thinks we should wait then we will, I trust him completely.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Most vets I have dealt with in the past usually like to wait till well after the heat is finished, I would talk to your vet and if it were me I would wait, there is much less risk and less liklihood of infection and excess bleeding from the surgery.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top