Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That I rec'd from my vet , via E-mail. Most of us know these, but it doesn't hurt to pass on.

Have a safe and happy Holiday Season :)

Here is part of the E-mail I received. Can never be too careful.

Lights, decorations, good food…every year, as we celebrate the holidays, we fill our homes with seasonal cheer for ourselves and our families. However, what may seem beautiful and harmless to us may pose hidden dangers to our pets. Don't let an emergency spoil the festivities! Below are some common holiday hazards for dogs and cats and how to prevent them.


Holiday hazardHow to keep your pet safe

Electric cordsKeep all electric cords securely taped down or out of reach of your pet. Dogs and cats may chew dangling wires and be burned or electrocuted.

OrnamentsHang ornaments out of reach of your pet. Dogs, especially, may eat ornaments or wire hangers, which can get caught in the stomach and intestines.

ChocolateKeep all holiday foods away from your pet. Chocolate contains ingredients (e.g., caffeine) that can be lethal to dogs and cats.

Tinsel, ribbon,
and stringMake sure these are kept out of reach and properly disposed of. If swallowed, any of these can require emergency surgery to remove. Tinsel also has sharp edges that can cut the mouth.

Lilies, other flowers,
and houseplantsPrevent your pets from eating plants or flower arrangements. Lilies are very poisonous to cats.

Christmas treePut the tree in a pet-safe room or monitor your pet when he or she is around the tree. Dogs and cats may eat the needles (even from artificial trees) or drink the water at the base of the tree, which can be toxic (especially if it contains preservatives).
In many cases, if your pet has eaten or drunk something toxic, warning signs will include gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs may include tiredness and lack of appetite, especially in cats that have eaten lilies. If your pet shows any of these signs, or if you think he or she has eaten something dangerous but is not showing any signs yet, please call us right away. Treating your pet as soon as possible is essential!

We will be glad to answer any questions you have about your pet's health. Let's work together to make sure your entire family has a happy, healthy holiday season!


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,467 Posts
Thanks for sharing Christine. Wish my vet did something like that. All great things to know:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
Thanks

This is all good to know.

Thanks for sharing!:aktion033:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
reading this now, DooLittle just got into a table spoon of Chocolate that was attached to a christmas gift ........What should i do, anything to watch for. I also took her to get a parvo shot today. So i am at a loss of what to do or watch for. please someone ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,019 Posts
reading this now, DooLittle just got into a table spoon of Chocolate that was attached to a christmas gift ........What should i do, anything to watch for. I also took her to get a parvo shot today. So i am at a loss of what to do or watch for. please someone ?
So sorry - you know what - I think you should post this as a new post to get attention right away in case other SMers read this post already.
Do you know what kind of chocolate it was? There's different toxicity in different types - milk, dark, etc. When you said got into a table spoon did she eat the whole tablespoon. Check some past posts on chocolate or better yet is your vet available for calls after hours? I would call. How is she acting?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top