Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel bad worrying about this but, my Sammie had surgery (baby teeth) Tuesday and they gave him gas I think. He also started his Salmon food on Monday.

I noticed he has an odor coming from body and he has been passing some gas. He seems fine (other than his itching/allergies which we are working on). I wondered if a new smell could be post surgery related or his new fish food. :unsure: Guy at pet store said only thing people dont like about the fish is the breath, so I wondered if could release through skin too. Any ideas welcome on a new odor.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Yes, it could. Try changing his food back to his original for a bit to see if it subsides.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, it could. Try changing his food back to his original for a bit to see if it subsides.
god bless you little cutie pie :wub: cosy, luv the pic and dress. I sure hope so, little guy is fighting allergies and we dont need new problem. I smelled him last nite and his little gases and was like, what now? his poops smell too:w00t:, but guy warned me fish is diff than chicken.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I think it is the food. The fish diets really can smell and make them smell bad. This is why I don't feed them. You might try venison. I have fed this before. I think Addiction makes a grain-free.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is the food. The fish diets really can smell and make them smell bad. This is why I don't feed them. You might try venison. I have fed this before. I think Addiction makes a grain-free.

u babies are so sweet! thank you for the quick reply. i am headed to town and will check for a new one. this is a deal breaker as i like to snuggle with my sam and he :w00t: smelly gassy boy now. by the way he loves the fish food.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my store has Wellness Core® Original which is grain free, but has turkey and chicken. so i could try to see if he is allergic to grains only. vet says it is prob air borne, but try the food test is good to do.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my store has natural balance venison - grain free. I will get that one. no addiction brand.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought Duck and Venison both non grain by natural balance. i was not sure which, i gave him duck tonite and he ate it real good, so before i will return venison i need to find out which was best for malt's and if duck was like chicken. they let me exchange fish for the new one. pet super is good that way. I was able to return ear powder and trade my used shampoo as well for a hypo one. they have been good to me there. they think i'm nuts though. no one understands the malt's at all.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I bought Duck and Venison both non grain by natural balance. i was not sure which, i gave him duck tonite and he ate it real good, so before i will return venison i need to find out which was best for malt's and if duck was like chicken. they let me exchange fish for the new one. pet super is good that way. I was able to return ear powder and trade my used shampoo as well for a hypo one. they have been good to me there. they think i'm nuts though. no one understands the malt's at all.
If he's poultry intolerant that includes duck.:unsure: Also when you change from one food to another you mix the foods - if the same brand u may start at 50/50 mix and go from there.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes make sure you transition the food you can't all of a sudden change it. You will upset the tummy.... So you can roughly do it this way 75 old food 25 new for 3 days then 50/50 for 3 days then 25 Old and 75 New for 3 days then give 100 of the new food...If he has allergies as my Max does thats how I did it..and make sure not to keep changing too many foods and go by what your vet says. PM me for questions.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I will gradually move him to the Venison:thumbsup: and thanks for the tips.
Kandis - was just going to say that I was going to PM you the other day but you don't seem to have that option (the ability to get and send PMs) in your profile. It's something to think about. When I joined I never thought I'd PM, now my account is almost full. :blush:

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kandis - was just going to say that I was going to PM you the other day but you don't seem to have that option (the ability to get and send PMs) in your profile. It's something to think about. When I joined I never thought I'd PM, now my account is almost full. :blush:

I sent u one! It's funny, bec if not I would cry.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sammie's ODOR is gone. Thanks! changed to venison. Worked. I should not worry about small stuff I guess. But it was so pungent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts