Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know my Sammie just turned 2 and needs LP surgery on his right leg. His skip/lift has increased of late. So I finally scheduled it for Thursday. Took me a month to pick up the phone, then i saw him lifting so much this past week I had to call. What makes it hard is they don't seem to be in pain, but ortho said he prob is in some already. This is a very hard thing to do; as all of you with a precious Maltese can relate. I don't want to risk his cartlige by waiting. We are going to an orthopedic surgeon in a specialty hospital (she is a small dog speciality surgeon in orthopedic and soft tissue (from University of Florida) and came highly recommended by the agility club here. We got excellent results on his blood work. I'm very happy about that. He will not get a bordatella as I thought. :aktion033: I just keep trying to imagine him without a skip/hop.
He deserves to walk normal.
Please pray for my little boy as he goes through this. I love him so much. :innocent:
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sammie little cutie. You'll do just fine in your surgery, rest a lot, and have a perfect little leg after. xoxoxox little one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dear Kandis I will pray for your little Sammie :))) and please remember Sandi and I just went through this and we will here for you every step of the way and yes he will walk normally its amazing when you see that you feel how worth it was :)

love you

Anna xoxo
ps e-mail me anytime .

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
You're being a terrific mom, Kandis, doing this for Sammie.:wub2: It's an act of love. The reason he's hopping is that it hurts to put his foot down...he's not practicing the jig for St. Pattie's Day :Good luck: (just trying to inject some humor here as you know me so well). I'm so frustrated with my neighbor and her Havanese. The dog has been hopping for months now..a lot and she keeps saying her vet hasn't suggested she get surgery. My answer is ...get thee to an orthopod!!! I know we all worry about our furkids (and skinkids) in surgery but I'm sure he'll do fine. Love that he's got great bloodwork results and the doctor sounds awesome!!
We'll be here for you on Thursday and you know the hardest part of the surgery will probably be keeping him still enough. :smpullhair:

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
:heart:I will hold dear Sammie tight to my heart, thinking the best thoughts for his total recovery. No skip hop....just totally happy skips...with no pain.:heart::heart::heart::wub:

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Kandis, I am so sorry to hear about our sweet Sammie. He is VERY lucky to have you as a Mommy. You have done so much research and planning. I just know he will have the best care and a very speedy recovery. Please give him snuggles from Aunt Bridget and Lady Bella. We'll be praying for him. ♥

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
Yes Kandis, as Bridget so aptly stated, you have done your research and HOW! I think you are about as prepared as a new mom expecting her first skin baby! You will both be in my prayers on March lst, and the folliw-up days. Humanly speaking, we can only do what we can do!
I have to admit after finishing almost 9 weeks I am a bit concerned about Kitzel's continued hops---I had expected things to be much better by now. I am looking at quite a bit of PT, I believe. He can definitely put weight on both legs but not at a trot (which was true before surgery). When he speeds up at all we have the same alternating hop/skip as before surgery! He hasn't had opportunity to trot much at all, so I hope it is my imagination (which I will admit is over expressive at times!)
Anyhow, you are on my heart big time.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Good for you and Sammie! Hang in there little dude, your Mommy loves you and will help you get thru this and have a successful speedy recovery! Kisses and puppy licks!

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you all so much for your kind words and those special prayers for Sammie. My desktop PC crashed and I am using my iPhone. It is difficult to post a reply to you all at this point. I want you to know I'm reading all your sweet posts and they help me have courage. That's the operative word. I need courage and release from fear of seeing Sammie in pain.

Sandi
Kitzel had torn ACL, LP and the bone realigned, right?. That's a lot. Maybe he just needs time PT. The ortho told me that she has seen them continue to hop skip even after surgery. I took it as without surgery they would get even worse though. She said it will depend on the amount of deformity, or damage / injuries. This is the main thing that kept replaying in my mind why I can't wait. So afraid of ACL tear. Did Kitzels drs give you a post op prognosis or say if he had lost cartilage? From what I could tell the biggie is cartilage. I sure hope that he loses that darn hop skip with his PT. I feel your concern. Going thru all you have.
Take care.

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
No Kandis, we did not have ACL tear-- just a bone that was too long & 2 LPs. The doctor did not say anything about lost cartilage. I don't think that was an issue either since he continued to use both legs, albeit w/alternate skipping/hopping until the surgery.
I do think doing both legs at once makes the recovery longer, but it also had it's advantages. I am in this for the long-haul and committed to the PT.
I believe Sammie will do well. I would say even surprisingly well. Our only issue now is the trot. Kitzel is a trooper & I know w/time & work we will come out on top of this!
You are in my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sandi
Thanks, I sure hope so. Sammie's signs are present when in a trot. Lately they are present more after playtime. Longer lifts mixed with a hop. It's progressing at rate Kitzels did. At 2 both should still have all cartilage. I bet the extra bone work is still in healing mode. I know you will get there.
xoxo

1 - 20 of 376 Posts