Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Sammie's LP Surgery is on March 1st

18K views 375 replies 40 participants last post by  SammieMom 
#1 ·
As some of you know my Sammie just turned 2 and needs LP surgery on his right leg. His skip/lift has increased of late. So I finally scheduled it for Thursday. Took me a month to pick up the phone, then i saw him lifting so much this past week I had to call. What makes it hard is they don't seem to be in pain, but ortho said he prob is in some already. This is a very hard thing to do; as all of you with a precious Maltese can relate. I don't want to risk his cartlige by waiting. We are going to an orthopedic surgeon in a specialty hospital (she is a small dog speciality surgeon in orthopedic and soft tissue (from University of Florida) and came highly recommended by the agility club here. We got excellent results on his blood work. I'm very happy about that. He will not get a bordatella as I thought. :aktion033: I just keep trying to imagine him without a skip/hop.
He deserves to walk normal.
Please pray for my little boy as he goes through this. I love him so much. :innocent:
Thanks everyone.

#37 ·
Kandis - thinking about you and Sammie. I remember that my DS needed two surgeries when he was 1-year-old. I was a wreck. They waited until he was 1 so that he wasn't too young but boy a little baby like that. :w00t: We had the surgeries done and I was so relieved afterwards. I knew we did the right thing. It's hard to see our kids - fur or skin - get a medical procedure done but we're the parents and we're doing the best we can FOR THEM.
We will all be praying for you. Try to get distracted today and tomorrow and you know we'll be here for you and for sweet Sammie tomorrow and always. :smootch:

#38 ·
Thank you Sue. I know that exper with your baby must have been heart wrenching for you. I guess it's hard because we are powerless while they are in surgery. Sammie has never spent a night away from me either. Today we go to groomer for a quick nail and tummy trim. Tomorrow this time he will be in surgery at 12:30. Thanks for being here for me and your prayers. :sLo_grouphug3:

#42 ·
Up early this AM. . . thinking about Kitzi's little Buddy, Sammie, and Kandis. Sending up prayers that all will go well today and waiting to hear how things are falling together. Kandis, I know you are about as well prepared as is possible, so remember to pray & breathe in that order. Sending hugs.

#61 ·
OK, silly me...I see that Sammie is lifting his leg ALOT, and I think, well, so what? He's a boy, and some boys do this, right? Duh!! My brain must not be engaged!! LOL! Just checking in on both of you. It does sound like a wonderful facility, and the Dr. is so experienced. That is a comfort. (PS, Frankie lifts his leg alot too, but not the way you are talking about! LOL!)

#48 ·
OMG!! He's in there. I'm going home for a bit. They are running late today. I hope he is ok with not eating. Was supposed to be at noon now I'm not sure. I told her to call me when he goes in. Poor little guy was crawling up my neck. (but he needs this surgery). There is a LP post op dog in waiting room and lady was raving about his surgery. I'm still numb.

#49 ·
Kandis - I actually posted to your other thread before I got here. I think it was a sign that Sammie really needs the surgery with his limping this morning. You know it's the right thing and I guess, so does he.
Delaying surgery is so common. They always tend to get emergencies in and that wreaks havoc with the schedule. Sammie's under their care now and he will be watched and taken care of i'm sure. So glad you got to see another mom whose pup had surgery and she's happy.
Trust me, with my knee problems (torn ligaments and meniscus variety in both knees over the years) it's really painful when something's wrong. Actually I did something to my knee exercising this morning and I can hardly put weight on it. :w00t: It really hurts.
It will be hours before you hear anything since his surgery is late so just try to throw yourself into doing something that will distract you. I usually go on a cleaning jag (especially going through paperwork) because I hate doing it but feel like I've accomplished something when it's over.
Praying for Sammie.:prayer:

#50 ·
11:30.
Thank you everyone for your support today. This forum is wonderful.

Sue you are right. It's gotta be uncomfortable. Marj has helped me to come to terms with this for awhile. Like she said, it wont be easy to do this am.
He has never lifted till lately that early after resting. It's getting worse fast. Dr said the other leg will be affected at some point if not corrected. Not sure how.
His ortho has done literally thousands of sm dog LP. I believe they give a mild sedative right off to keep them calm. That makes me feel better. It is at a new hosp with one on one care. Megan the surgery tech is assigned to Sammie all day. So he is not alone he is with her. Eyes on, she said as soon as IV goes in. Of course it has a high price tag too.
Well I could not go home. Went to bfast and am going to a shopping center until they call and say he is ready. Then I will go back to hosp in bout one hr after bec it takes 1 1/2 hrs. I can't visit but I will be there none the less.
I will be back!! Thanks again
xoxo

#51 ·
It sounds like a wonderful medical facility. Some things are just worth the price tag. Silly me suggesting cleaning. What's a better distraction than a little retail therapy at the mall. It's a good place to burn off a lot of walking energy unless you live in NYC where we walk endlessly. Awaiting word from you when he's done.

#56 · (Edited)
Kitzel wanted to do a little opera number w/his friends to make you feel better while you wait for Sammie to get out of surgery! :wub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.