Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

so heres my scenario and need you peeps advice

i have the flu for the past 4 days now and its slowly going away..

my wife, had to evacuate the house and stay at her parents because of my flu plus.... she is pregnant.

question is, when i get better, i plan to sanitize my whole house but i dont know what to about my dog mochi.. i read that human flu doesnt effect dogs so shes been with me keeping me company.

so do i need to sanitize her as well? Anyone had a similar experience?

If I do, what do I use to sanitize her?

Thanks for your comments..

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
IMO, you don't need to sanitize your dog because you had the flu, as human flu and dog flu are two different things. I haven't heard of any human-dog or dog-human flu transmission. (But I'm not a health expert, of course.)

BTW, soap, water and peroxide are great sanitizers, and non-toxic to the lungs and respiratory system of both humans and dogs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm mainly worried about is my wife..

Since mochi has been with me all this time, she might have some contamination from me no, (even though it doesn't affect her)

Since my wife is pregnant and I heard about how bad it is for her to get sick during that time, I'm concerned about that.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Just give Mochi a good bath in her regular shampoo. Just like washing your hands is enough to prevent illness for most people, a good bath should remove any lingering germs that may be in her fur.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Do you know what type of flu you have?

There was at least one confirmed human to dog transmission of H1N1 last year. There was also a ferret and several cats who caught it from their owners.

Here's a link to some information from the American Veterinary Medical Association's site regarding H1N1 and pets:

Frequently Asked Questions about 2009 H1N1 Flu Virus

Joy

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Can My Pet Get The Flu article

Found this article from Dr. Melissa Kennedy, a veterinary virologist at the University of Tennessee:

Can My Pet Get the Flu?

I copied and pasted this portion from the article:

How common is it for animals to catch the flu from humans?

MK: It is very uncommon. With most other seasonal flu cases, infection of animals from humans doesnt often occur. But the 2009 H1N1 seemed to be able to infect other animals a bit more easily than other flu strains.

What should I do to protect them?

MK: Routine precautions like one takes with their kids--a lot of hand washing, cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing, and no snuggling with the pets when you are ill.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx everyone.. my flu isnt diagnosed anything crazy.. just a typical flu which now my 5th day most had subsided,... and my mochi seems happy and running around everywhere.

now its nap time for her..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she caught a cough from me i believe and then i decided to have her live at her parents till i get better. she took the flu shot h1n1 so shes fine and now shes away from me.. and shes miserable away from Mochi and Me.. aww hope she gets better..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts