Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our visit for shots today seeing he has been with me for 2 weeks and I know his routine. Vet suggested we wait until I had him a little while so when he had shots if there is a reaction I would know if he was acting different. He has done great today. He has been a little sore, which I found out the hard way by picking him up wrong. Vet walked out front before I checked in and commented on Sappers tear stains. He said that show dogs are put in a low dose antibiotic to prevent them, but he didnt think it was a good idea since I wasnt showing Sapper. Sappers main problem is his face was mainly dirty. He was due a bath last night but we had major storms here and I didnt get to bathe him. I have also sorta slacked off washing his face this week as we have some issues going on at home, but I am getting back into the routine of cleaning him. Had to leave the vets in a hurry cause my granddaughter fell and cut her head and soon to be daughter in law called upset not knowing how bad it was. Gdaughter is fine, just a small cut on back of head. I had to call vet to see how much he hweighed as I didnt stay around after I got the call about baby. He weighs 2 lb 8 oz so he has gained 7 oz since I have had him (2 weeks). Is that on par for weight gain? He sure is an active little bugger.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper@Apr 12 2005, 09:41 PM
We had our visit for shots today seeing he has been with me for 2 weeks and I know his routine. Vet suggested we wait until I had him a little while so when he had shots if there is a reaction I would know if he was acting different. He has done great today. He has been a little sore, which I found out the hard way by picking him up wrong. Vet walked out front before I checked in and commented on Sappers tear stains. He said that show dogs are put in a low dose antibiotic to prevent them, but he didnt think it was a good idea since I wasnt showing Sapper. Sappers main problem is his face was mainly dirty. He was due a bath last night but we had major storms here and I didnt get to bathe him. I have also sorta slacked off washing his face this week as we have some issues going on at home, but I am getting back into the routine of cleaning him. Had to leave the vets in a hurry cause my granddaughter fell and cut her head and soon to be daughter in law called upset not knowing how bad it was. Gdaughter is fine, just a small cut on back of head. I had to call vet to see how much he hweighed as I didnt stay around after I got the call about baby. He weighs 2 lb 8 oz so he has gained 7 oz since I have had him (2 weeks). Is that on par for weight gain? He sure is an active little bugger.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52084
[/QUOTE]

I have also been wondering about.... what is the average weight gain for the little babies. What amount is average?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't know if it's normal, but the breeder took my Tictac to the vet for shots yesterday and he weighs 2.6. He's 11 weeks. Peanut was truly a peanut so, he always weighed a little less than the vet liked, so I'm not sure what the normal range is.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 13 2005, 03:34 PM
There is no Maltese normal. It depends on the individual dog. As long as he is steadily gaining and appears in good body condition, then that is fine for him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52294
[/QUOTE]

Well, we are finally done with all of Indy's shots, we spread them out so as not to give him too many at once. He is already sore, so I gave him the prednisone that the Vet. gave us just in case he needed it. Indy gained another ounce, so he now weighs 2.5 lbs. He was 2.3 lbs. when we got him 5 weeks ago and he was 12 almost 13 weeks old at the time. The Vet thinks he will more than likely stay at a low weight, but he says he is doing well and is in good health. He eats well but he has the Nurti-Cal for when I think he needs it. I feel so bad for him after he gets a shot, it is so sad to see him not.. running around
and to hear him cry when he gets picked up. I'm glad all his shots are over for another year.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom+Apr 14 2005, 10:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 13 2005, 03:34 PM
There is no Maltese normal. It depends on the individual dog. As long as he is steadily gaining and appears in good body condition, then that is fine for him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52294

Well, we are finally done with all of Indy's shots, we spread them out so as not to give him too many at once. He is already sore, so I gave him the prednisone that the Vet. gave us just in case he needed it. Indy gained another ounce, so he now weighs 2.5 lbs. He was 2.3 lbs. when we got him 5 weeks ago and he was 12 almost 13 weeks old at the time. The Vet thinks he will more than likely stay at a low weight, but he says he is doing well and is in good health. He eats well but he has the Nurti-Cal for when I think he needs it. I feel so bad for him after he gets a shot, it is so sad to see him not.. running around
and to hear him cry when he gets picked up. I'm glad all his shots are over for another year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52800
[/B][/QUOTE]
Awww!!! I'm glad Indy is done with shots for now!! Glad to hear he's doing well!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper@Apr 12 2005, 09:41 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52084
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad Sapper did well after his shot
I'm sorry your Granddaughter was hurt, but I'm glad she is doing well. Sounds like Sapper is doing well, and getting plenty of excersise
My Indy is a real runner too....He has this place down just right so he can just run and run and never run into anything or have to come to a stop
He loves to eat and is very active, but he is not gaining much weight, he was 2.3 lbs almost 5 weeks ago and is only 2.5 lbs now but the Vet said not to worry that he is doing well. He did say today that he wants to wait till he is older than 6 months before having him neutered because he is so tiny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts