Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was doing a great job at brushing Sapper every day with him wanting to ply with the brush, I would still get him brushed down, for him to just get down and give one good shake so "poof" his hair looks like I have never touched it.

Now for the problem!!! I noticed Sunday night that his backside at the top of his legs are matted. I have used detangling spray, come and brush. I am at my wits end with that are. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I may be sick, but I wipe his rear when he goes poo. Would you recommend I trim the hairs around that area so it doesn't gt stuck? He has had some get stuck :eek: and I have had to really clean it.
I am kinda affraid to trim as he is sooooo wiggly squiggly. LOL

·
Registered
608 Posts
One of the first things I did for Tunder is take him to get a sanatary clip. It is only $5.00. They clip around his backside and shave his belly up a lil so that he doesn't hit that when he pee's. This takes care of the issues for us.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 5 2005, 09:10 PM
One of the first things I did for Tunder is take him to get a sanatary clip.  It is only $5.00.  They clip around his backside and shave his belly up a lil so that he doesn't hit that when he pee's.  This takes care of the issues for us.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49448
[/QUOTE]

He hasnt had all of his shots so I dont know of any groomer that will do a clip for me. He is 10 1/2 weeks old.

Melinda

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper@Apr 5 2005, 07:30 PM
Also, I may be sick, but I wipe his rear when he goes poo. Would you recommend I trim the hairs around that area so it doesn't gt stuck? He has had some get stuck  :eek:  and I have had to really clean it. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49392
[/QUOTE]
That's a common thing around here for some of us!!!! We were just talking about what wipes we use on some post here the other day
I trim Peanut's bum area with the little scissors with the rounded tips. I've been doing it to him for a while now, so he's used to it...he used to squirm sooo much that I was afraid to clip his skin by accident. Oh, if you mean the arm pit area being matted, I also trim his arm pits extra short because his harness makes him matt there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't Worry, I wipe my babies bottom after she poos and pees with a baby wipe. I would suggest trimming the hair around the butt because the poo will get stuck. Just hold his tail up so that his legs are off the ground and he won't be able to go anywhere. :D As far as the mats, you can only do so much. I have tried the same actions and I just end up cutting the mats if they are really bad. Even if you are able to comb the mats out, I find that the hair is frizzy anyway. Just do the best you can.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just had the petsmart people do it real quick. They didn't need his records because he wasn't staying. Seriously it was a 2 min. shave

Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper+Apr 5 2005, 09:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@Apr 5 2005, 09:10 PM
One of the first things I did for Tunder is take him to get a sanatary clip.  It is only $5.00.  They clip around his backside and shave his belly up a lil so that he doesn't hit that when he pee's.  This takes care of the issues for us.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49448

He hasnt had all of his shots so I dont know of any groomer that will do a clip for me. He is 10 1/2 weeks old.

Melinda
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49450
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
What kind of brush are you using? I usually saturate the mat with conditioning spray or conditioner and work it out with the single end tooth of a greyhound comb, tiny bit by tiny bit. Avoid cutting them out or yanking a lot of hair out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 5 2005, 09:40 PM
What kind of brush are you using? I usually saturate the mat with conditioning spray or conditioner and work it out with the single end tooth of a greyhound comb, tiny bit by tiny bit. Avoid cutting them out or yanking a lot of hair out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49472
[/QUOTE]

I have a human hair brush with bristles and plastic pins I usually use. I have a cheapo pin brush too I just tried tonight and it seemed to work better. I have used J & J no more tangles (for human kids) on him and am working a lil bit at a time.

Melinda & Sapper

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by maltagurl@Apr 5 2005, 09:21 PM
Don't Worry, I wipe my babies bottom after she poos and pees with a baby wipe.  I would suggest trimming the hair around the butt because the poo will get stuck.  Just hold his tail up so that his legs are off the ground and he won't be able to go anywhere.  :D  As far as the mats, you can only do so much.  I have tried the same actions and I just end up cutting the mats if they are really bad.  Even if you are able to comb the mats out, I find that the hair is frizzy anyway.  Just do the best you can.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49456
[/QUOTE]
That is what I used to do. It was so much less stressfull. At that age they don't like standing still long enough to work the matts out.

I recommend getting a small cuticle scissors like this:

Petsmart also sells a small scissors that is similar to that but for $7 something.

Edit: I have 2 size greyhound combs and a pin brush. The only comb I ever use though is the small greyhound comb (about 4 inches long). I love it.

The one I have is the one on the far right.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper+Apr 5 2005, 10:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Apr 5 2005, 09:40 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49472

I have a human hair brush with bristles and plastic pins I usually use. I have a cheapo pin brush too I just tried tonight and it seemed to work better. I have used J & J no more tangles (for human kids) on him and am working a lil bit at a time.

Melinda & Sapper
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49509
[/B][/QUOTE]

You will need to invest in a good quality pin brush unless you plan to keep Sapper in a super short puppy cut. The ones you get at pet stores have balls on the ends of the pins which snag and break the hair.

Probaly the best one out there for the money is the A#1 All Systems 27 mm pin brush with a white pad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of brush are you using? I usually saturate the mat with conditioning
You will need to invest in a good quality pin brush unless you plan to keep Sapper in a super short puppy cut. The ones you get at pet stores have balls on the ends of the pins which snag and break the hair.

Probaly the best one out there for the money is the A#1 All Systems 27 mm pin brush with a white pad.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49589

Ok, now where to buy them? I want the best I can afford for Sapper. Just not sure where to buy rom. Any recommendations?

Melinda

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper@Apr 5 2005, 06:30 PM
I thought I was doing a great job at brushing Sapper every day with him wanting to ply with the brush, I would still get him brushed down, for him to just get down and give one good shake so "poof" his hair looks like I have never touched it. 

Now for the problem!!! I noticed Sunday night that his backside at the top of his legs are matted. I have used detangling spray, come and brush. I am at my wits end with that are. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I may be sick, but I wipe his rear when he goes poo. Would you recommend I trim the hairs around that area so it doesn't gt stuck? He has had some get stuck  :eek:  and I have had to really clean it. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49392
[/QUOTE]

your not sick i wipe maxis butt every day have been since he is 10 weeks
i always get his frame shaved his hair grows quick

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
cherrybrook.com has them. A variety of catologs do, but I usually order from Cherrybrook. Definately get a greyhound or poodle comb, too.

I would try a different grooming spray. If you want to use a human hair product, you can use:

Thermasilk leave in conditioning spray
A dab of mane and tail conditioner diluted with water in a spray bottle
Pantene leave in conditioning spray

For pet ones:

Ice on Ice
Crown Royal
Coat Handler (or just get the coat handler conditioner and put a little diluted with water in a spray bottle)
Pure Paws

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
You can try all those great ideas! But if all else fails... I sometimes call it quits and just CUT the leg hairs real short to get all the matts out! haha
As for the butt... I hold kodie's tail up and cut away! haha... I think all the info is great that was already posted. Just remember when using sissors it takes practice before you get comfortable that your not gonna hurt your baby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts