Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was late taking Sapper in for his final shots (long long story). Finally made it yesterday. Sapper is 19 weeks old now and weighs in at 4lb 14oz. He is in great shape and the vet sees nothing wrong with his weight. Said he is doing great.

A funny story about our trip to the vet tho. I took my future daughter in law with me to hold Sapper in the car. On the trip there, he pooped on Tanya. OMG I was laughing so hard and she was NOT amused. Then on the way home, she checked to make sure he wasnt puking on her. I kid you not, as soon as she said good your not, he puked on her. OMG! I was rolling by the time we got home. She wasnt amused at all. LOL She finally made up with Sapper.

I have got to figure out a way to transport Sapper in the car besides free range which I know is not good at all, but he does not like being confined in a small space. Any ideas?

Thanks
Melinda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hi, I would gradually get him used to a crate and use that for transport or get one of the doggy car seats and strap him in. Just keep in mind that if, God forbid, you had an accident, the air bag would smush him if he is on someone's lap.

I know some disagree with this but I still would get him used to a crate even if you do go with a doggy car seat. You never know when he might need to be in one at the groomer's or at the vet's throughout his life. Or if he is flying on a plane with you. You can put treats in a crate and make it a positive experience and I believe he'll get used to it and like it. You can keep the door open and he can come and go.....

Glad he's done with his shots and that your future DIL isn't holding a grudge!! That story is soooo funny!!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I agree with K/C's Mom's advice. Secure harness in the back seat or a crate in the back seat. And I also agree that being crated is a skill every dog needs, even if you don't use it at home, if your pup ever had to be hospitalized it would be much less stressful if he was comfortable being confined.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
LOL!!! thats a hilarious story!!!! one time, i went to el toritos and i had made sure sprite when potty before we went. so i thought (ok, i have a few hours). WELL, after we ate, we go in the car and sprite starts pacing like crazy on my lap. she then jumps to the front seat (toyota corrola) and goes RIGHT on cynthia's lap WHILE SHE'S DRIVING...and pees all over her!!! LOL

oh, and i just got my brand new cell phone, and we were driving to san diego (4 hr drive) and after an hour....sprite diahread ALL OVER ME, the seatbelt, AND MY PHONE!!!

i felt sooo bad for her. so we just drove back to my house and we let her rest for the day. LOL> so i had to miss a day of school.

the things we do for our babies!

and about the seating arrangement:

disable your front airbag, and you can get one of those car harness and she can just lay down.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yucky! I am lucky that none of my kids are puppies anymore. They can hold it in and won't poop and pee on me. I would be pretty upset too! I am also lucky that none of my kids get car sick.

I was taking one of my friend's puppy to the vet. She puked all over me and it was super stinky. As much as I loved her, I was completely not amused. I smelt very bad for the entire day and I had to go back to work!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Dixie_Sapper@Jun 4 2005, 02:30 PM
I was late taking Sapper in for his final shots (long long story). Finally made it yesterday. Sapper is 19 weeks old now and weighs in at 4lb 14oz. He is in great shape and the vet sees nothing wrong with his weight. Said he is doing great.

A funny story about our trip to the vet tho. I took my future daughter in law with me to hold Sapper in the car. On the trip there, he pooped on Tanya. OMG I was laughing so hard and she was NOT amused. Then on the way home, she checked to make sure he wasnt puking on her. I kid you not, as soon as she said good your not, he puked on her. OMG! I was rolling by the time we got home. She wasnt amused at all. LOL She finally made up with Sapper.

I have got to figure out a way to transport Sapper in the car besides free range which I know is not good at all, but he does not like being confined in a small space. Any ideas?

Thanks
Melinda
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68968
[/QUOTE]

I prefer to travel with mine in the small wire crates we use at shows. They have the metal bars about 1 1/2 inch apart, and they don't feel as confined in them. I just put their bed in the bottom, hang a water bowl or bottle, and off we go. I can hook these crates in the seatbelts. I have a horror of having a wreck and my dogs not being confined. I get too many reports of this on rescue sites. Even in my motorhome, I want them in a crate when we are traveling. You should also have your name and phone number on this crate in case there is an accident.
If you can't find one of these crates, PM me as I have a friend who sells show supplies, and I'll be glad to give you her email. A small one for a Maltese is under $30.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts