Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bad news and good news. Bad news is that Sassy is still not eating. I am literally having to pry her mouth open to give her this special food that the vet sent home. It is soft and once its in her mouth she swallows it. I barely slept last night, worrying that she's just going to waste away.

Good news is that I called my vet and told him to go ahead and call LSU. I had all the doctors names and numbers from Jaimie so he really couldn't refuse. He just called back and they'll see us at 1:30 tomorrow. Jaimie had already told her team that if a Malt named Sassy showed up she would take her. So, Jaimie, I guess I'll see you then.....

Now lets all pray that this is something they can easily fix and it isn't some dread disease!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Susan, thank goodness that you will finally get some answers. I am so glad that Jamie will be there too! Isn't it nice to have friends when you need them most? I am going to light a candle for Sassy and all the other sick and injured malts this afternoon. I've been saying intentions to St. Francis as well...hey, it certainly can't hurt! Keep us posted on what the vets say tomorrow. In the mean time, I hope that poor Sassy feels better real soon.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My Prayers are also coming your way....I hope that you get at least some direction to go to look for answers. I find that is the worst, when you don't know what is wrong and they don't have a clue.

Please pass on the puppy kisses and licks from Teddy.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm so glad they gave you an appointment at LSU so fast! That's the thing to do since your vet is stumped. The NC State vet school is 15 minutes from me and I know I have always said that's where I would take Lady if we ever ran into something my vets couldn't handle. So far I haven't had to take her there, but my vets have called them several time with questions on medications she can take.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and little Sassy will be on the mend soon.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that she has an appointment at LSU tomorrow.... I'll be hoping and praying that Jaimie and her team figure out the problem and cure it fast.

It's so troubling when they won't eat... just heartbreaking... I know this must be terribly stressful for you...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I am glad you got an appointment so fast as well! It took me about 2 months to get an appointment to Cornell internal medicine department. I am sure Sassy will be in good hands and you will finally find out whats wrong with poor Sassy. I wish you well and hope it is something fixable! Sassy is in my prayers

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the doctor was describing this dog that was coming and i asked if it was a maltese..she was shocked i knew...i said is its name Sassy and she said yes....i told her how i knew u and she was very happy for me to be her student....I wish i didnt have to meet you again like this. Hope we can figure it out. I will see you tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm so sorry that Sassy is having problems again. I hope that you will be able to get some answers and get her on the road to good health quickly. I'm glad Jaime will be able to be there for you.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
the doctor was describing this dog that was coming and i asked if it was a maltese..she was shocked i knew...i said is its name Sassy and she said yes....i told her how i knew u and she was very happy for me to be her student....I wish i didnt have to meet you again like this. Hope we can figure it out. I will see you tomorrow!
[/B]
LOL. I bet she was shocked. My vet said that he had talked with her at length about what the problem could be. The one thing that she mentioned that he didn't know about was whether or not Sassy wears a collar or a harness when she's on leash. I was able to quickly eliminate that as a problem because she never goes outside unless she's in the J bag and she never wears a collar. I never even attach her in the bag because they like the bag so much that they sleep the whole time they're in there.

Question for you....will they do anything tomorrow or just do a consult? Vet told me to not give food after 10:00 tonight and no water after tomorrow morning. If they find something in the mylogram will they want to do surgery right then? I guess what I am asking is if there is any possiblity that we'll need to stay overnight? And are there even hotel rooms in Baton Rouge? I know they are scarce throughout Mississippi and Louisiana. My Dad is driving over with me as John has patients scheduled and I'm a nervous wreck about getting out on the road by myself. I don't really know what to expect. I won't have to leave her, will I?

Thanks again for all the help. I am very impressed that LSU can see her so quickly. What a Godsend!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Sassy will be seen by the best vets out there! Good luck and best wishes for tomorrow, I'll be thinking about you both!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I will be thinking about you and praying that Sassy's problem is minor and fixable.
I know you must just be a mess inside. Big hugs from me and tail wags and sweet kisses from the boys.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Susan, many years ago when I had to take my first Malt, Rosebud, to NC State, she ended up staying for a few days. But what I did that I think helped is this: They let me leave her favorite little soft carrier and they put it inside the large cage she was in so that she had her safe and comfy little carrier to feel secure in while she was there. You may want to bring along something like that just in case she should have to stay over.

Wishing you and Sassy the very best tomorrow......

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks everyone. Jaimie thinks Sassy will probably have to stay overnight. Unfortunately her carrier is a Juicy bag so I don't think i can leave that. LOL. I guess I could bring her little crate. Jaimie suggested an old shirt that I don't mind losing, and I'll do that for sure. I was able to find a hotel, I hope! I have a very generous and hospitable offer to bunk at Jaimie's if necessary - how much better can you get than that?!!!

Everyone has been wonderful and I'll keep you posted. I have a couple of email addresses on my Blackberry and Jaimie can let you know how things are going if I don't get to it. Say a prayer for us.....

Susan

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks everyone. Jaimie thinks Sassy will probably have to stay overnight. Unfortunately her carrier is a Juicy bag so I don't think i can leave that. LOL. I guess I could bring her little crate. Jaimie suggested an old shirt that I don't mind losing, and I'll do that for sure. I was able to find a hotel, I hope! I have a very generous and hospitable offer to bunk at Jaimie's if necessary - how much better can you get than that?!!!

Everyone has been wonderful and I'll keep you posted. I have a couple of email addresses on my Blackberry and Jaimie can let you know how things are going if I don't get to it. Say a prayer for us.....

Susan[/B]
Susan,

I think its great that Sassy will be going to LSU and that Jaimie will be taking care of her
. Miko has had a few overnight stays at the vets at this point (knees surgery, this accident) and he always does fine. I think it greatly helps that she is crate trained (they are much less stressed out this way). The vet techs told me that all Miko wanted to do was be held after his accident (how cute is that)? Please keep us updated

·
Registered
17,034 Posts

Susan[/B]
Oh Susan, I can not imagine what you must be going through right now. Please know that we will keep you and Sassy in our thoughts and prayers. You will be in good hands at LSU and I know Jaimie will personally be looking in on little Sassy. Try to keep your chin up.

21 - 40 of 499 Posts