Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting for Susan cause she might need a break from the board for a little while. I want to start this off by asking a favor...please don't go searching the internet about this and posting all the info u find. there r many forms of this and it is a rare disease. there is a lot of false info out there and i dont want it to be in this post. the doctors are going to consult with ppl all over to make sure they know everything, so Sassy can have the best treatment. so please leave this thread for well wished and group hugs. thank you....

today Sassy got to meet her new doctor...he is even new to the school. I learned to today how great he was. i was able to be with her new student and help her be familiar with Sassy's case....then the doctor came by and I helped answer questions. His thought process was the same as mine...i didnt want to stay away from this mysterious neck pain that responded to pred...and that was what caught his attention too.....so next diagnositic step for him was he wanted to do a CSF tap. this is under anesthesia where they take a sample of the spinal fluid. Sassy pulled through like a champ...i came out of a horse eye surgery just as she was waking up. Well that was the test to answer the big mystery.

Sassy was diagnosed today with Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis...aka GME. this is a neurological disease where the immune system attacks the nervous system. prednisone helps treat the inflammation caused by this. there is a lot that isnt known about GME and there r different treatments. but basically sassy will be on steroids for the rest of her life. there r many forms of this disease and that is why i ask u not to go searching everything about it. Prognosis can vary in a large way, and no one needs to be scared about this. lets let the family and the doctors learn everything about this and wait for them to tell us what will happen next.

hope Sassy gets to eat some food soon as her meds start to go into effect, that way she will be back to her happy bouncy self. I am glad we finally have a diagnosis, and now Sassy can get back to feeling better.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
*sigh*
Susan, we're thinking about you and your family right now. This is a lesson for all of us. Appreciate our babies and their health.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Its good to hear that Sassy has a diagnosis. I couldn't agree more with not searching the web and posting random stuff.
to Susan and her family.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
so glad that an answer has been found. i'll leave all the guesswork to the professionals, and just send professional hugs and prayers

noselicks to sassy, sadie, jolie, susan, and jaimie~~~~~

ann marie and the "whew...sassy, you better start eating and respond well to your meds!! i want you all better!" buttercup

·
Registered
276 Posts
<span style="font-family:Georgia">Get well soon lil miss sassy.</span>

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I was looking at her pictures today. OMG she is so cute
I will pray and pray and I'm sure she will be fine soon. It's good that you know what it is now. not knowing is the worse thing.

Get well Sassy

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Jamie, thank you very much for posting this. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for all you have done for Susan, Sassy and the rest of us. You will make a wonderful vet and I know that you will find much success in your future.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do want to say one thing....there is a difference b/w treatment and a cure....there is no cure for this disease...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sweet little Sassy. I am glad Susan, you finally know what is wrong and can start working towards the finish line. Hope little Sassy gets better soon, and enjoys her yummy treats again!
What a scary ordeal all of this is. You are lucky to be working with the best of the best docs out there. Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm glad the question has finally been answered, and pray that sweet Sassy responds to her new meds and starts eating.
's to everyone who has helped Susan, Sassy, her family and Jaimie.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Our best wishes to little Sassy, Susan and all your family!
God bless you Jamie, the doctors and the new doc who made the diagnosis.
You guys, appart from being angels are so professional in everything you do.
I hope Sassy starts feeling better and have a "normal" life with no symptoms.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Susan, I am praying that the meds help Sassy back to her normal self. There are a lot of illnesses that can be controlled with meds. I am sorry any of this ever had to happen to you and your family.
I will keep you and Sassy in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Great big
to Sassy, Susan and the family. Thank you Jaimie for letting us know

I will continue to pray for Sassy and that she will respond very well to her treatment and return to her bouncy little self and enjoy a long and happy life with all who love her so very much

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its not likely that sadie will get this..it is pretty rare

1 - 20 of 294 Posts