Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for all the PM's and posts asking about Sassy. I should have posted earlier, but we have been very focused on researching Sassy's disease to make the best possible decisions.

After we got back from Auburn I began reading a Yahoo board about dogs with GME. A vet neurologist at a well known animal hospital in Boston is having wonderful success using a chemotherapy drug called Lomustine. He has a fantastic record with the dogs going into a long term remission. We faxed this doctor last Monday and he contacted us and our vet immediately. We had Sassy go in for blood work, he formulated a treatment plan with our vet, and we start chemotherapy tomorrow. I don't know if this will work for Sassy, but I truly believe that we are still in the early stages of the disease and must treat aggressively. This is probably Sassy's best chance. The treatment will last for a year and she will take the drug once a month. Blood work will be done on a very rigid schedule to determine if the therapy is working. Hopefully the neurologist will be able to continue to work with our vet, though I am ready to go to Boston on a moment's notice if necessary.

She will be immune-suppressed and the doctor wanted the feeding tube removed to reduce the chance of infection. She is eating like a PIG! Jaimie (LadyM) has been here for a few days and will attest to this! Sassy has gained nearly a pound in the last 5 weeks. She can not be around strange dogs during the treatment so won't be going to the groomer. I took her in to the groomer last Thursday and we shaved her. It was kind of sad, but I am calling it Sassy's Chemo cut. My daughters are appalled but she is eating and she is alive so I think it is just fine. Jaimie bought her a cute little T-shirt to keep her warm.

This will be a long journey for Sassy. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I will update you. Your concern for Sassy and for our family has warmed our hearts. Here is a photo of Sassy, the Chemo Cut and her new shirt from Dr. Jaimie.

Susan

PS. I don't feel comfortable posting the doctor's name on a forum, but I would be happy to provide further information to anyone who PM's or Emails me.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Susan,

I am so sorry you and Sassy have to go through this. I can't imagine how stressful this has been for you and your family.

This new doctor sounds great and I hope Sassy responds to the chemo therapy. She looks adorable in her chemo cut and little shirt.

Thank you for the update and I will keep you both in my thoughts.

Carla & Shotzi

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awwwwww. Sassy looks very cute in her new cut.
Thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear that you both must go through this. Our thoughts will be with you in hopes that this is, indeed, the road to recovery.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Susan thank you so very much for the update on Sassy, I must say to look at her you would never know that she has a health issue, she looks just like a healthy little girl, her haircut is adorable and I love her little T-shirt, her little eyes are just so bright.
I will be thinking and praying that her new treatment is the answer to all that she has been through, that she continues to thrive and get her health back. Great big
to you all and especially to precious little Sassy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
She looks darling in her short cut and cute shirt. That is great news that she has gained a pound. I hope and pray that this treatment will work.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Sassy looks just as adorable in her "new-do" as in the long hair...and those gorgeous eyes just melt my heart!
Praying little Sassy responds well to the chemo... she's a spunky little girl and have no reason to think she won't!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Sassy's story and thinking about you all continues to bring tears to my eyes.
I hope that this treatment works better than everyone expected!!!
Thoughts and prayers coming your way as you embark on the first day of the treatments!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It was good to hear some news about Sassy. I was wondering how she was doing.
I think her cut looks adorable and I know she is probably more comfortable. I pray the chemo will make a huge difference in her disease. Take care.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i saw someone said that you couldn't tell she was sick by the picture...well u cant even tell by being there really. she eats like a shark, barks and runs around, and comes for lots of attention. We are all crossing our fingers that this drug can do what the studies are showing. I've read his studies and Susan has read about some of his patients and it looks really promissing. Keep the positive thoughts coming!!!

just one thing about chemo..i know Susan had a misconception b4 I talked to her about it. It is nothing like in people. It isnt a horrible thing that causes severe illness and makes them miserable. They dont loose their hair, and they don't get the vomiting and loss of appetite. many people refuse chemo for their pets because of what they hear about in people, and what they have seen in a loved one going through it. So if anyone ever has to face this, at least hear what your vet has to say about it...like in Sassy's case it can add many HEALTHY years onto their life

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Susan, thanks for the update. I think about and pray for Sassy daily. It's wonderful news that she has gained a pound. She looks adorable in her new cut and in a year's time she can have her long hair back. May she continue to improve every day!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Susan,
I am so happy that there is a new light in this whole ordeal. You`ve been lucky to have fallen in the right hands over and over again and Sassy is such a lucky little one to have you as her mommy.
Sassy, you and your family are in my daily prayers and i am sure this treatment is going to work wonders on her, i hope for a long happy life for this little angel. And she looks GREAT on her new cut and her new Tshirt!!!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I will continue to keep Sassy in my thoughts & prayers.
I think she is just as adorable in her new cut!
She has the most beautiful little face!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Susan, thanks for the update. I truly hope that this treatment will work wonders for your little girl. I still pray for her everyday. And she looks absolutely adorable in her new cut. She's so beautiful no matter what cut she's in. And I agree, you can't tell by looking at her that anything is wrong. Good luck with the chemo.

Jaimie, thanks for the info on the chemo. I didn't know either, but I was wondering if it affected animals the same way as people. It's so great to have you here for us.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sassy looks cute in her chemo cut
,, I'm so sorry that u have to go through this
but I'm glad that she gained weight, eating good and she playing around. I hope she will respond with her chemo treatment to cure her disease. Looking forward to hear from you soon and wish u all the good luck for your Sassy

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am so so sorry that your baby has to go thru this. Shr is a very lucky baby to have SUCH a WONDERFUL mommy. May I ask how old she is and what is her weight?
Jellybn1

Question for "Lady Montavia"? Are you a qualified vet? Jellybn1

I am so so sorry that your baby has to go thru this. Shr is a very lucky baby to have SUCH a WONDERFUL mommy. May I ask how old she is and what is her weight?
Jellybn1

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jellybn1

Question for "Lady Montavia"? Are you a qualified vet? Jellybn1

Jellybn1[/B]
Sassy is 19 months, almost 20 months actually. Her usual weight is right around 5 pounds. During the course of this illness she had a low weight of 3pounds 11 ounces. At the vet this morning she was 4 pounds 10 ounces so we are overjoyed with the weight gain.

I will answer for LadyMontava - she graduates from vet school in May. She is going to make a wonderful, caring vet, as evidenced by her involvement with Sassy's illness.

Thanks for all the posts. One treatment down and 11 more months to go.......

1 - 20 of 397 Posts