Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH i need your help , i was looking at the newspaper today and of coarse went right to the pets section, there in my area is a ad for 8 wk old maltese puppies.I tried not to call i really did,but i couldnt help myself! So i talk to the breeder he had 3 litters at once a total of 13 pups according o him
.and has 1 male left ohhhh, i want that puppy i called my husband at work and he said he doesnt want anymore dogs
I would like to get Chico a campion and a little afraid to too. I love my baby so much and he so loving almost to a falut he wont leave my side if i sit on the couch he HAS to sit on my lap ,i thought haveing a 2nd pup might help that but i dont want to lose it either kwim?oh brother someone talk sense into me! the pup has his shots so far and is mirochipped but is only 8 weeks .Why did i call why!!!!!!!!!
~ Denise

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Well after reading your post . I understand where you are coming from.
But first things first you have to convince your husband . Before you bring home a new puppy. For now stay away from the papers and pictures... it will only make it harder for you. You still have a couple more weeks to convince him. Also you deffinetly want to check out the breeder as well. Other option : Make note of the breeder number and wait for the next letter maybe summer time. That should be enough time to convice your husband.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Denise,

I hear your cry for help!

I guess one suggestion is what do you know about this breeder? If you haven't already done the research maybe you can find something there to turn you off buying this pup from him. ie: puppymill, iffy bloodline, iffy genetics history.

The other thing is without your husband's support, is this going to eventually cause problems? No one will be happy then! Especially if Chico and the pup are incompatible and that could happen.

Otherwise, go for it! (that wasn't much help was it?)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi well my husband just called me back and said to go get him , but i can tell he is only saying that to make me happy, so i told him i wont do it unless he is really ok with it and he said ok he will talk to me later . he has put up wit alot of pets from me over the years so i cant complain he is a great husband but the impluse in me wants to call RIGHT now and go see him
I guess if it is meant to be it will happen lol as a side note when he said you can go get him he said you know u gotta take care of me lolol
MEN!!!!!! wink wink

·
Registered
64 Posts
Think about it this way... quality breeders rarely advertise in the newspaper, so you may have spoken to a backyard breeder.

Imagine bringing home a new puppy that your husband is not super supportive of & the puppy turns out to be an unhealthy, aggressive, or not well socialized dog. How would that affect your relationship with your husband, with Chico, and/or with the new dog? If the dog isn't healthy, vet bills, heartache & extra TLC will be required. If the dog is aggressive or not well socialized it may make it difficult emotionally & even physically for the rest of the family.

So, if it's worth the "risk," go ahead. Otherwise wait until everything falls into place.

(Just trying to play devil's advocate for you!)
Deanne

Eta: Chico is SO adorable! & Your hubby sounds like a really nice (& completely typical!
) guy!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I wish my hubby was that easy to persuade. but no..2 pets have to fo before i get another. i just want to have 2 dogs..im not askin for much. yet when we had a stray kitten over here when we moved in, if it was a male he prob would have kept it. grrr well n e ways good luck!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Feb 18 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi well my husband just called me back and said to go get him , but i can tell he is only saying that to make me happy, so i told him i wont do it unless he is really ok with it and he said ok he will talk to me later . he has put up wit alot of pets from me over the years so i cant complain he is a great husband but the impluse in me wants to call RIGHT now and go see him
I guess if it is meant to be it will happen lol as a side note when he said you can go get him he said you know u gotta take care of me lolol
  MEN!!!!!!  wink wink
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36181
[/QUOTE]

MEN!!! Sounds just like mine!!!!
They make us happy, we gotta return the favor!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that maltese only had an average of 2-3 pups or so per litter...and this breeder had 3 litters and 13 pups? WOW....that's a lot of pups.

We have so many threads on here about buying from a reputable breeder, personally I don't know how comfortable I would feel purchasing a pup from a newspaper ad without doing any research first. What do you really know about this guy? Is this breeder telling you that this pup is only 8 weeks old and ready to come home and already 12 of the littermates are sold and in homes? I am wondering why he is selling these pups so young. You might want to think about it before you go over to his house, because as soon as you see the pup we all know you're not going to say no.
Do your research and make an informed choice using your head....and if you think this guy is reputable and you are comfortable with your choice...then go for it.

Not trying to tell you not to do it...just that I know where you're coming from and I know how easy it is for our hearts to override our judgment. Keep us posted what you decide!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, if your hubby says no...

Every baby is different though, so maybe Chico is better off alone anyway. I dont know. Trying to think of a positive reason not to get another maltese.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Forgetting the fact that this is an adorable little maltese, please remember that impluse purchases aren't a good thing. If you really really think that you want a companion for Chico, then plan ahead. Do your research. Find a reputable breeder that doesn't put random ads in the paper and go from there.

My feelings are leaning towards the fact that you might regret this impluse buy. And what happens if you bring this puppy home, it traumatizes Chico, or has a disease and gives it to Chico and end up losing both dogs. You said we were to save you. I'm saving you and Chico. I say no. (And you can't tempt me with what your husband will settle for.

Just my honest opinion. Please step back and wait a month or two and see if you feel the same way.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Since no one else has come right out and said it, I will. DON'T get this pup. There are red flags all over the place!

1) & 2) 13 pups is way too many and so is 3 litters A reputable breeder would probably only have one litter at a time. It's hard work and expensive just to have one litter going at a time. Think about the vet bills and not to mention the health of the mothers. If one mother had problems and they had to take it to the vet for a c-section then they need to put their attention on that one mother, not all three at the same time. It just doesn't add up to me.
And as it was pointed out before, 13 pups for 3 mothers is a lot of pups! They should have 9 at the most, maybe more but 13 probably means big Malts, which means big pups. Not that a big Malt is bad (Fantasia is 8lbs) but a reputable breeder wouldn't have such big pups.

3) They are selling these pups through the newspaper. That point was also brought up so I won't go into detail.

4) They are selling these pups way too young! They aren't waiting till they are 12 weeks because they already put an ad in the paper. That means they are ready to sell.

5) If this was a reputable breeder then they would insist that you make sure that your current dog gets along with the new pup. They would make appointments for the dogs to meet so they can see if they get along, and if they don't they won't sell you the pup.

6) Reputable breeders usually have a waiting list for potential buyers. If they are really good then everyone will want their pups and there really isn't enough to go around so you have to get put on a waiting list. Of course this isn't always true but sometimes.

Please if your husband is really on board with another puppy, keep looking. Research the reputable breeders in your area and get yourself on a waiting list. Research, research, research! Trust me it will cause alot less stress and heartache down the road.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all and thank you for bringing me back to my senses ! All your advice is well taken .It is just so hard but i will be strong!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Your husband is a realy nice guy.
So take the time to find a really good breeder. Really do some research on this person.

My first maltese I new nothing about breeders.. I drove 2.5 hours to get my fist puppy missie and she was just adorable. I got her way earlier then 12 weeks.. she was so small i could carry her in my coat and no one knew she was there.
I had to deworm her and have lots of vactinations done. I think she only had her first shots.

she also ended up with having seiours ( spelling) and they were bad ones.
durring all this time i was a student in college trying to pay the rent and bills.
I was very lucky at the time I found a realy good vet that wavied the cost for most of her medication as he knew I had no money as was so scared of loosing my puppy.
missie had a little pink on her noise and was the sweetest thing . She had her own little room... I set up the solarium for her. with her crate towel toys and left the door solarioum door open. I could leave her alone in the day and she would never play with cord or anything that would get her in troble.
but she suffered a lot from those seiours.

Since your husban has said yes
to a new puppy take the time to fine a good breeder, call your vet for recomendations.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Don't feel sad for not having another baby for Chico to play with. AT LEAST you have Chico, right? And my babies dont care for each other too much. Cloud has always been mama's boy. He is still clingy as ever to me so it may not matter whether he has a sibling or not.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It's so hard to say no to another fluffer, but considering all of the questions looming around this ad, it's probably for the best. When the time is right I'm sure you'll find a great baby!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am so glad you made the right decision here. Now talk to me about impulse buying when it comes to shoes or handbags......that's where I need more willpower.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree with Jodi...dont' get this puppy! There are red flags all over the place. Puppies are so hard to resist, so don't, I repeat don't go and see this puppy. If you do want another puppy research and find a great breeder. When I was looking for Lacey I went to a pet store to see what a maltese looked like. They asked me if I wanted to hold the puppy maltese that I saw in that horrible cage and I said no. I knew if I held that darling little puppy I would have purchased him and I had read all about puppy mills and such. So don't go and see this puppy.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Wow! 13 puppies and 3 litters!!!!!! I'd have to agree with Fanny May's warnings. If you really want to get another puppy so that Chico will have a friend, take your time, do the research and don't buy on impulse. Your Chico is adorable and would probably love a friend, but take your time!

Lady M - I hate to say it, but you're in the wrong profession to only have a few animals! You need to tell your husband that y'all are gonna need a real big house in the country so you can have lots of animals!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys you are totally right my husband thinks we should have had one more skinkid (we have 3) he thinks this a mother need lolol hes probley right but we are done in that dept
. I know i should have never looked at the paper and you are right 13 pups ,he said he was only mating 2 pairs and 3 ended up pg.he said his males were 7-9 pounds and he had 1 females that was 7 pounds and one that was 9 pounds. Chico is 7 lbs at 10 months .You are also right if i ever do get a 2nd dog i will take chico with me to see if they get along ...... thanks again
Oh anothe rthing he was selling them for 700 here in ny which is unheard of and he said he was negotable sp? they usually go for a 1000 or more here which doesnt make me happy .
though i am sure they would be healther and less vet bills i got chico for 550 but come to fing out throgh web research he was from a uppy mill and the breeder totally lied to me thank god he is healthy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts