Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to know what a bad puppy mill looks like, it is the place I went to today. The lady I saw while at the vets office told me she had some maltese puppies and did I want to see them. I was cuirous and I had asked her about her lines and knowing the lines were very good I went on my way home.
I could not believe what I saw. I asked her if AKC had been there anytime in the past, she said yes they asked her to correct some of her papers that were everywhere that I could see. She also said that the humain Society had been there too and she could not see why? They asked her to put fans on some of her pens and clean some of them. They understood it was hard with so many dogs.
I told her she seemed overwhelmed and needed to just stop trying to handle so many in the nicest way I knew how with out just loosing it. So I just made her an offer for her Maltese that she had to take. Then these little Poms kept jumping on me like you are going to take me out of here too? I don't know anything about a pom, but I ended up with 4 of those also. I have been bathing and defleaing ever since. It was just unbeleavable. They will go to the Vet as soon as we can get an appt. I am not rich and sure could not afford to do that, but I knew I could not rest leaving them there. They once were fine Maltese, before all the neglect. Even the little pups had matted tails. It would just make you cry.
She still has dozens of big dogs, but no more little ones. You can tell they have worms and the fleas, I have been bathing and bathing.
Lord it still makes me sick.
Before I was forced to retire I would do that if I found badly taken care of babies like that, I have taken them, took care of them and adopted them out. I could better afford it then. My heart is just too into them. I wish more agencies would do something to stop people like that from having them to start with.
Wish me luck and prayers, it will be a long road for for these babies until they have the life they deserve.
Cathy

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh my gosh! So how many Maltese and how many Poms did you leave with? Can you call and report her to someone?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I can well understand how you feel about getting these dogs out of their bad situation. I once took three adult standard poodles and five pups that were five weeks old. I paid a nice sum to get them away from the person who was letting them starve. The pups ranged in weight from 1.4lbs. to 2.7lbs. The adult male, who was very large in frame was only 36 pounds when I got him. I took them straight to the vet. It turns out that one of the adult female was from my cousin's show lines. She now has this girl. I found the other adults a nice home on a farm.
The pups all survived, and I placed them too.
I'm always taking in everyone else's leftovers. I think I paid for six spays in a three month period of time.
When I place pups from my rescue, I ask for the price of the spay/neuter, and if I can get more, I ask for a donation to be made to our no-kill shelter here in town.
Good luck with your new group of rescues.
When you decide how you will handle the placement, please post it, and I'm sure some of us can make referrals for homes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Oct 11 2005, 12:08 AM
I can well understand how you feel about getting these dogs out of their bad situation.  I once took three adult standard poodles and five pups that were five weeks old.  I paid a nice sum to get them away from the person who was letting them starve.  The pups ranged in weight from 1.4lbs. to 2.7lbs.  The adult male, who was very large in frame was only 36 pounds when I got him.  I took them straight to the vet.  It turns out that one of the adult female was from my cousin's show lines.  She now has this girl.  I found the other adults a nice home on a farm.
The pups all survived, and I placed them too. 
I'm always taking in everyone else's leftovers.  I think I paid for six spays in a three month period of time. 
When I place pups from my rescue, I ask for the price of the spay/neuter, and if I can get more, I ask for a donation to be made to our no-kill shelter here in town.
Good luck with your new group of rescues.
When you decide how you will handle the placement, please post it, and I'm sure some of us can make referrals for homes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108306
[/QUOTE]
That is great you do/have saved these poor furbabies from bad situations too!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
For you!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Wow, what a truly great thing you have done.
It must have been meant to be that she was at the vets office at the same time you were. How sad it is that those poor babies were living in those conditions. It breaks my heart. Are you going to call the humane society or someone to report the conditions so that the bigger dogs can be rescued? Thank you so much for saving the ones that you could.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I applaud you, you have a huge heart!!
Thank you for saving those poor babies and caring enough to see that they have a long happy life.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Lucky for those babies that you happened to meet this lady. How wonderful of you to rescue them. Wow!!! You're my hero today!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Since you have health problems and your own dogs to care for, I wonder if it would be something the group could help you with. Perhaps if you post what you rescued (number, sex, age of adults and pups) and the price you had to pay for them, then people on the list could see if they wanted to apply for adoption. They could pay the price, plus the vet bill--which would include the price of the spay/neuter. Since you said the woman had her paperwork in a mess, I assume you saw this when she was looking for the papers, and she also gave you the registration papers on the dogs.
I know, from your posts that you raise all your dogs in your house. I know you must be a little nervous bringing these dogs and pups into your own home, not knowing what they might be bringing into your area. I hope all goes well with this, and you are able to find good homes for all these dogs/pups as soon as they are healthy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think posting here about the pups/dogs would be a wonderful idea. I would personally be very interested if you had a black pom. My first furbaby was a little black pom whom stole my families heart. She was tragically killed over 3 years ago, and my 7 year old son still on occasion will say "I just miss Jazmann so much."
It breaks my heart every time I hear of these kind of people who can "care" for animals in the manner that they do, and do not have the heart/conscience to know what they are doing wrong. It is unlikely she even realizes what is wrong with her setup if she was so open and willing to allow you in her home and then to also tell you about the visits she has had from differenct agencies. Some people just need so much education!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
LucyLou, I was thinking the same thing....

Maybe people here could help. I live near you (I'm in south Miss), but I CAN NOT take any more dogs. Please don't let me because I'm living with my parents while my house is being rebuilt and they would die if I came home with another pet. I could ask around though and see if anyone else was looking for a puppy.

·
Registered
496 Posts
First off, it's amazing what you did. You really should let us try to help you them.
The second thing I was wondering, if it's not too personal, how much do puppymills expect people to pay for these puppies? It's obvious that they think it is a easy way to make money. I’m just wondering the going rate for dogs they really don't care about.
My sister bought her min pin form a puppy mill. She paid $250 for a $400 dog. She said the place was very gross. All the dogs were in cages stacked on top of each other, and the place smelled of puppy poo. She said when she left she was covered in it from all the puppies jumping on her. Two days after she bought Rocket, he had blood in his stool and he had a bad case of worms. She called the breeder, but he didn't seem to care.

You did a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
776 Posts
What an incredible thing you did. I am just so happy that these pups have been saved from their misery -- and I really hope that people here from the boards can help you out with getting them to their forever homes

1 - 20 of 71 Posts