Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

What a rough Valentines it's been...

Dolly was due her (first) 3 year rabies vaccine in November. I've been hesitant about it since she's so small... so I've been avoiding it. She doesn't really go out other than flying back and forth from NYC to KY. She's very much an apartment dweller. Unfortunately the airlines changed their rules as of January 1st so now we're going back to KY to visit this weekend and they emailed me that she has to have it to fly this weekend. There was no time to argue or try and get an exemption. She's *almost* five pounds now and didn't have any issues with her first rabies so I took her into the vet today to just go ahead and have it done. We talked before hand and he seemed not to worry at all. I tend to be a hypochondriac and a huge worrier when it comes to Dolly so I thought surely I was just overreacting with my worry, and it'd just be easier to get it over with and then I wouldn't have to worry about it for three years.

I should have trusted my instincts.

She was fine when we got home... we even had time to do a cute little Valentines photoshoot. It wasn't until a few hours later I noticed her frantically rubbing her face on every blanket and dog bed that she could find. When I went to pick her up I noticed both eyes were red and swollen. Luckily we live just a block from our vet here so I called and immediately rushed her in. By the time we got there they were completely swollen shut. He gave her a shot of steroids and I brought her back home.

An hour later she was still acting very strange. Rubbing her head on everything, trying to burrow under our kitchen counters, growling at Felicia (which she has NEVER done,) panting heavily, and suffering from these horrendous jerking motions. I took her right back and they gave her another shot of steroids and a shot of benedryl. She seems better now albeit sleepy, but ugh, how scary. Now I'm watching her like a hawk.

I hate that I didn't listen to my gut and feel so bad for my girl.

The valentines pic is an hour after her vaccine. She seemed fine. The other picture was how swollen she still was 30 minutes after the first steroid shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I was so very sorry to read that little Dolly had a bad experience with her Rabies shot and hope that by now she is feeling better.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
I'm so sorry that Dolly had this reaction. Glad to hear she seems better now but that must have been so scary. Hope she's ok the rest of the evening.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I am so sorry that this happened. How terrifying.Thank goodness your vet is so close by. I hope that Dolly is feeling better.
Hopefully your vet will be able to give you an exemption so that she never needs the shot again.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
Patricia, so go to Dr. Dodds site & report it & have your vet report the reaction as well. I am sorry she had to go through that---Lisi can't take injections either. She is about the same size but is allergic to tons of stuff. Kitzi not as much.
Let us know how she does. Prayers for the both of you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! The vet has already promised an exception when this one is up, which is a relief.

Tonight she seems to be on the road to normal. Little Miss was just begging for a piece of ham at dinner which is definitely a sign of improvement! She's got some scratches and raw spots on her ears/behind where she was scratching and chewing so much during the new hours and her eyes are still very red, but it's a huge improvement from earlier. Neurologically she seems to be "normal." I'll definitely be keeping a very close eye on her for the next few weeks though. Thank you all for the prayers! <3

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
How awful! I hate the rabies vaccine and the stupid law behind it! We have to give it to our babies and most have like zero chance of getting rabies. Dr. Robb is working diligently to get this law overturned. Please let us know how Dolly is doing.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
Patricia, do keep good notes on all that has happened! Reactions can occur much later than you think possible. I would also include photos in that journal. Hopefully you will never need them, but you won't be sorry, if you do.

·
Premium Member
24,095 Posts
Jordan I am just seeing this, how scary, poor little Dolly, I wish we didn't have to give them rabies shots, my girls only go to our back yard, so glad she will never have to experience this again.
Give beautiful Dolly loves from her auntie Paula

·
Premium Member
24,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
So sorry that Dolly had this terrible reaction. So scary!!

Because of my concerns, my vet gives my Whispy a shot of Benadryl before any shot. Don't think it would help if there were a severe reaction, but so far he's okay.

Glad you were there for her!!!

Gentle hugs and wags,
Lainie and Whisper

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
So sorry, Jordan, just seeing this now about Dolly.
Hopefully she is back to herself and feeling better.
I would definitely keep eye for anything out of the ordinary in the coming months. I swear my Suki got her mediated immune disease from the rabies shot because she was a picture of health until then.
Sending love and hugs to you both. xx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts