Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helllo Maltese fans I warm greet from Medellin, Colombia (South America).

Please say hola to González,

he is 2 months old now and weights 3 pounds (he is a bit chubby).
We picked him up 2 weeks ago and it has been really good fun untill 3 days ago.

We got rid of a tick that was just loose and seemed not to have bitten him. I could just get it of with a pincet, it looked it was just scrawling. I thought we where lucky. But 2 days after we noticed González was feverish and didn't want to play or eat. So we took him to the vet and he got diagnosed with ehrlichia canis :angry:

At the moment we are at day 3 of the treathment, getting 2 shots a day of Oxitetrac and he's is doing really well. Fever is gone, he is playfull again and eats really good. But we are worried that it might influence the rest of his life, I try to find experiences or stories about puppies who had it but so far i can't find anything on the internet.

If anyone can share their experience with us, we would really apreciate that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,098 Posts
I wish I could give you some advice, in the area I live in we don't see ticks, probably because it's so cold.

I have to say your little one is precious, now I have puppy fever.

I'm sure someone here will give you great advice

WELCOME TO SM :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Premium Member
17,353 Posts
You can research my name about postings as both of my pups had this when we lived in Greece. They had (can't remember exactly) 4-6 wks. of doxycyclin & their tick panels cleared up. I can't promise what will happen---mine were a bit older. We are up in the N East of New England at the moment & Lisi got a tick our first day here---it was attached but not completely engorged so I await what will happen as there are lots of tick diseases here & some are not immediately evident. I was not using their tick spray at the time as it was cold here.
Ticks can cause lots of bad results---so do keep a good written record & stay on top of things w/your vet. Did you take the tick to be evaluated for disease---sometimes if they are crawling you can catch then in a glass w/a lid. I did that once in Austria. This last tick was not able to be evaluated so we are watching closely for any outcomes. Good luck & welcome to SM---your baby is a doll.
edit: this TBD sometimes runs concurrently with Babisia (sp?) so make sure they check for that too---we also had it at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts