Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Say hi! (And a question!)

746 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  violaparkinson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! New here. I’m the dad of a 5-year-old rascal and I found this forum because I had a specific question. But first, say hi to Cody!

Looking forward to browsing the forum.

My question is...actually kind of gross. My apartment has recently been infested with roaches, the small kind. They’re in the kitchen and in the area where Cody feeds. I always find them crawling out from under his tray. I would spray Raid around the area at night and have Cody stay in my room so he’s away from the bug spray, but they’re back before long. It’s time for a more aggressive step. I’m thinking of a bug fogger. Cody and I can be away for a few hours easy while the fogger does its thing (I believe the recommendation is two hours, plus another two hours to air). Has anyone done this and can tell if it’s safe? Any other thoughts on how to solve my problem that’s safe for Cody would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!
Cody is adorable!
As for chemicals being used in the house~ I personally would not around my pets, kids or even myself. There are so many other option that will help your issue.
I’m attaching a link of an organic product that my pest control company uses. If I wasnt so lazy, I would buy myself and spray. They have been using this in my yard for 3 years now and it works great. I’ve never had a problem with any bugs. Bottle says it kills cockroaches.
They also dilute it down per instructions and spray inside my home. My house is prone to bugs of all sorts because my house foundation is a slab, in a very wooded area.
There is also wondercide, which I use on my dogs but I’m not sure how effective they are against cockroaches.
Hope this helps a bit.

#3 ·
Hi! Sorry to hear your having this problem. Try not to spray pesticides Cody will walk around and it gets on their pads and they lick their feet. I don’t know much about roaches but google safe ways to kill them. Did you ever see the commercial for wondercide? I think it’s safe for pets not to sure though Or I think baking soda kills them if you mix sugar and baking soda together I just read that online for you. Good luck! your baby is super cute!

#4 ·
Thank you, maddysmom and Coster! I will check out these brands and natural pesticides you mention. Cody is licking his paws as I type so that just drives home the point that he could catch remnants of the pesticides in his feet. Yikes. Ruling out the fogger.

#6 ·
If you think he might be picking up remnants, can I suggest foot soaks to remove any toxins. They absorb toxins thru their paws. Doing a quick rinse or using pet wipes really does nothing. You need to draw them out, so if you mix water and povidone iodine in a bucket or sink ( just enough to cover his feet) and have him stand in it for 3-5 mins, it draws out all toxins they may have picked up during the day. I do these on my one girl who has lots of allergies and it helps her so much. I also do it if I see them licking their paws after Walks, road salt during winter etc.

#5 ·
In addition - I would also make sure you do not leave Codys water down overnight and dry out the sink and any wet/damp areas. The cockroaches are frequently going after water. I agree NO CHEMICALS - There are so many other options to try!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.