Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I was fortunate enough to adopt a 4 year old sweetheart (Sophie) from a close friend.

She's perfect except for a couple of issues...
1) She is terrified of car rides (runs and jumps around, making it dangerously unsafe to drive).
2) She is very anxious and barks nonstop when I leave the house without her (she leaves me kisses and brown presents that look like chocolate bars when I return).

Our entire family (but mostly me) have been training her almost everyday (leaving the room and closing the door for 1 minute) but it feels as if nothing is getting through her cute tiny head.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
15,979 Posts
I would put her in a car seat made for dogs. Their harness is attached to a tether, so they can't jump around. I'd go for a short trip(like around the block) .Giver her praise and a treat, and go a little farther each time. The same with the separation anxiety. Shut the door, be on the other side, when finally quiet, praise and treat. Repeat again and again, until she knows if she's quiet she'll be rewarded, and that you're coming back.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice and the well wishes.

I dunno...sometimes I just see her pretty expression and feel like there's no gears moving in her head.

I do give her treats for doing the correct actions/tricks, but then after half a dozen of tiny treats, she gives me a tiny "chocolate-like" substance...

I like the car seat idea, but how are they secured? I drive a 2 seater 5-speed car and I'm afraid of getting her sick while shifting gears.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If the treats are upsetting her stomach consider to switch over to something else. In my house, dehydrated chicken in tiny pieces are the training treats.

The seat is secured using your car seatbelt. You can Google 'snoozer lookout car seat', that is the seat most of us have it. I have pictures but none seem to show it well.

I don't understand why you would get her sick while shifting gears?

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
If you leave her food down all day I expect she will have more accidents. If you don't already, feed her meals at regular times and make sure she has had a chance to go out/potty before you leave the house (I have to let Jodi out twice in the mornings) - it's likely the accidents will not happen (or less). Also if she has a walk or is tired from playing before you leave , and she has her own small area (xpen, kennel, bed etc, somewhere where it's her own comfy spot) her she will be more content. She's had a big change with a move to a new home , likely missing your friend, so maybe she needs more time to settle in.

I had to get up extra early in the mornings to make sure he was fed and had been outside , sometimes walked etc trying tire him so I could leave and hope he would sleep and not be so anxious. Our schedule eventually relaxed a little as he got older and we got into a good routine.

Just a note about treats, it can be a very small piece of a regular treat (even pea-sized), not a whole cookie. You don't want to overfeed so that you are giving another meal.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sophie is potty trained. In fact sometimes I worry she'll contract UTI from how little she pees...
I feed her twice a day. Breakfast and dinner. I walk her minutes after meals.
Hmm...I suppose I'll have to cut down on the treats. Thanks for the advice. :blush:
I drive a very tiny car. When I shift gears, the car slightly lunges forward. I think the car seat idea might help.
Sophie's comfortable spot is in my room/bed. When she's not there, she's glued to my side. Everywhere I go (except the bathroom), she'll follow me. She'll even walk by my side outdoors without a leash.

*Update: Last night I went out for dinner with the family without her and she did fine. As a preventative measure, I put a diaper on her. While we left, she :smcry:for a few minutes (to an hour?), then quieted down and fell asleep on my bed. When I got home, her diaper was dry/empty and she gave me
and kisses.

I think I'll try the method posted on the YouTube link. Our house is relatively sound-proof but I don't want her to stress out. She's an awesome breed and a great companion.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I'm so glad that you found this forum. You have a bit of a challenge on your hands, because the people who gave you sweet Sophie, probably weren't experienced with training and care of toy dogs. Now you have a lot of friends who will gladly share their experience and advice. Keep in mind that she is just a little dog, who wasn't taught how to behave, or how to respond at an early age. Now, you are her mother and you will instill her with confidence by gently leading her to the behavior that makes you both happy. :Welcome 1:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Said it so well for all of us.

I'm so glad that you found this forum. You have a bit of a challenge on your hands, because the people who gave you sweet Sophie, probably weren't experienced with training and care of toy dogs. Now you have a lot of friends who will gladly share their experience and advice. Keep in mind that she is just a little dog, who wasn't taught how to behave, or how to respond at an early age. Now, you are her mother and you will instill her with confidence by gently leading her to the behavior that makes you both happy. :Welcome 1:
:aktion033::goodpost:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. I've already learned so much reading through old thread posts.
Aside from the anxiety issues, she's a blast to be with...sleeps whenever she gets the chance. :w00t:
The previous owner...liked to yell and scream...and so did her other doggie...I think that attributed to her fearful personality.
In her new home, we're all quiet and soft-spoken. She's slowly opening up and adapting to her new surroundings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts