Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats right i said bajeebies, right out of me, last night i decided to go to bed early, around 10ish so I took the dogs (eek, i said dogs, hope they didnt hear) out early for their last pee of the night, as usual Sampson and Maggie went right out and did their thing so I let them back in as Lizzie meandered about the yard deciding if she was going to go pee or not and i see her run to the back corner of the yard at the fence, then i see this black thing moving, i thought it was our neighbors dog, they have a black hot dog but Lizzie kept circling around it and neither were barking which gave me my first clue it was not hot dog, so i step in the kitchen and get the flash light, i have a flood light on my building outside that shines back towards the house so i couldnt see anything behind that point, anyway, i shine the light out there and see this black thing moving, in "our" yard, then i see a white stripe, yep, uh huh, see where i am going with this ???

SO I FREAK OUT

i run out in the yard to get Lizzie all the while trying to figure if i have wet myself or if i have started sweating real bad
anyway i get out there and of course Lizzie will NOT come to me for anything, so here we are doing the skunk dance, all within about 5 feet of this skunk, surely he thought i was bonkers, yelling and screeming at Lizzie to get away, she probably got as close as 2 feet to the skunk, i was just waiting for the skunk to do a flying leap onto one of us in rabid attack mode or turn and squirt us with his deadly ray but through all this he was the only calm one :new_Eyecrazy: finally i got Lizzie to run back toward the house, oh yea, i hope none of you are laughing at me, anyway, back towards the house we go, oh yea, while this is going on my wife and son have no idea i am outside facing immediate danger to my well being, so we make it back into the house, i go back out and watch as mr. skunk makes his way down the fence line and under a very small hole into the neighbors yard like nothing had just happened

SO, the moral of the story here children...

is that the black hot dog in the corner of the yard is most likely a skunk on a covert operation for the CIA

and last but not least...

i did check, i did NOT wet myself :lol: so today i will be securing the premises for these future attacks on my lively hood, have a nice day

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Joe,

You just crack me up.

Glad you did not have Tomato Juice in your future last night...maybe you should have some on hand however....just in case that little critter has other covert ways of making his way into the yard.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
OMG

Joe I have to tell you, being an Aussie and never having the displeasure of ever smelling something like a skunk before, I have to admire your courage. I mean to be so close to one of those dreadful creatures knowing full well the ability of that putrid stench, should he become upset with you or Lizzie, to destroy every hair and all the senses in your nostrils, you are one brave bloke and a better human being than I could ever be.
One summer night last year we were outside watering the yard when I copped this discusting odour for the first time in my life, :new_Eyecrazy: I immediately looked at hubby and told him he needs to see a doctor :excl: because that is discusting. I kid you not, that stench filled the air of our entire neighborhood and hung around for ages, I mean you needed a chain saw to cut through it. Thank God we had the house closed up and it didn't manage to get inside. That animal was no-where to be seen yet the stink was so bad you would have thought it was right there in our yard. It turned out that it had got into the neighbor's garage across the road and had sprayed everything in there, and her little Yorkie too I might add and it had been gone for over an hour, yet the stench was still there for hours until she had pulled everything outside and bleached the entire lot. The poor little Yorkie had chased it away and in the process had copped a spray so she had to be bathed and bathed and bathed.
I would say if you ever wanted to use a lethal weapon against anyone, put a skunk in their garage, I am sure that would give them something to think about.
We would never ever contemplate a doggie door for that very reason and our neighbor now has hers sealed up permenantly because that was how that critter managed to get in.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG that is soooo scary!!! I would totally have a heart attack if I saw a skunk that close to me or K & C!! I'm so glad that it all turned out OK!!!

That is why I get so angry with my yard people because they keep leaving the gate to my fenced area open. I'm not as worried about K&C getting out since they stick pretty close to me but I'm afraid something will come in. SO, this happened again the other day and I called and told them never to come in my fenced area again and I put a padlock on it. So, now I feel safer but I'll have to get some yard equipment so I can take care of that area my self.... But it's worth it to know I won't have to worry about that again.

Thanks for that great story Joe... I'm glad it had a happy ending!!!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
not laughing at you...yeah right!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
At least it didn't spray!

I was sitting on the porch with my husband a few summers ago....all of a sudden hubby got up and did this weird dance and ran into the house and closed the storm door (main door was still open) looking out frantic.....I said "What's the matter?!" He said "There's a skunk coming up the walk!!" As I look over, the darn thing started up the stairs! Hubby was still clinging to the door and I had to kinda fight him to let me in! I said "Lemme in, lemme in!!" He was still clinging to the door holding it shut watching the skunk come up the stairs....he finally let me in...we both watched it come up on the porch, and LOOK IN THE DOOR AT US! After is sauntered off the porch I smacked hubby.....I said "You SAW the skunk coming, and you ran and hid AND DIDN'T TELL ME....AND I HAD TO FIGHT YOU TO GET IN!?!?" He said "Well, I didn't wanna get sprayed......." I said "Yeah.....thanks for thinking of me......"

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Believe it or not we have a resident skunk in my neighborhood. Now mind you, I live at the beach and I have two trees in my yard...and there are maybe 10 trees total in my neighborhood...we still get racoons, deer, rabbits, fox, and yes skunk too! I guess they all like a stroll on the sand every once in a while!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I have been told you have to bathe them in tomato juice but you can get the stink off because Dolly the little Yorkie stinks no more.
I will have to ask the neighbor what she used to clean her up, but I think there was a lot of perfume etc wasted that particular day. The thing that gets me being new to all of this, one of these little critters can stink up the entire neighborhood all on its own with one little spray, and the smell is dreadful, I can't even begin to compare it to anything I have ever smelt before. I have to say the wildlife here in the US is sure different to ours back home in good old Oz, we have nothing that compares to a skunk.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.