Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coco's hair around her eyes is really long and I want to cut it myself. She's only 8 wks. and hasn't had all her shots yet so I'm afraid to take her to the groomers. I tried doing it myself but she keeps wiggling and I'm scared to poke her in the eye. I'm using the rounded tip scissors. Any idea to help her keep still?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If your planning on grooming her yourself in the future you might want to get a grooming table. I didn't think I needed it but what a difference it has made. I wouldn't trade it for the world - lol. I got a travel kind that folds for storage, so it doesn't take up too much room but works very well.

Other than that I totally agree with Boom's mom, tire her out. A tired sleepy puppy is a cooperative puppy!

Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know I can use scissors on prissys eyes because she is very still. If you want a little bit easier way to do it I get small trimmers. You can get the small ones groomers use or I have a sideburn trimmer that works great.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
8 weeks is still very, very young and wiggily. I agree that trimming her when she is very, very sleepy should do the trick.

Shrek finally stays still for me to trim around the eyes -- at five months.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
At your next vet appointment they can help you out with it. If you don't like that idea the best I can come up with is to have someone else hold her still. She'll get used to all the grooming eventually! Good luck!! :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you go to a beauty supply store you can buy very sharp "round tipped" scissors to trim around the eyes. I do this all the time with Tiki. I lay him on his side in my lap and hold his nose firmly, but gently to trim one eye and them I flip him over and do the other. The first couple of times I did it he squirmed some, but now he is used to it and just lays there looking forward to the treat that always follows.

Judi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts