Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that Hunter has been doing something very funny with his mouth the last few hours. So, we watched our hands and then began checking his mouth area for irritation. Well, Hunter has a VERY LOOSE tooth front top tooth and a SLIGHTLY LOOSE bottom front tooth.

Vet is closed and he doesn't appear to be in pain, just discomfort. Call to emergency vet told us to give him some PRN pain meds and bring him to vets in the morning.

Questions from a very panicked mom:

1. Will they have to put him under to pull these teeth or can they give him a local and then pull?

2. This will leave him with only 3 front teeth between his canines - will this change his ability to eat?

3. How much pain will be be in from this? Is there the possibility of dry pockets like when we have molars removed?

AND because I think ahead

IF they have to put him under - is there anything else he should have looked at/done while he is under?

Please Please Please Please send Hunter good wishes - we haven't had to put him under since we've had him and I am quite uncomfortable with it due to double heart murmors in my little man. I've never had a dog before so this is concerning and is making me very nervous!!!:smscare2:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
You and Hunter are in my thoughts. I am sure he will be okay and shouldn't be in any pain right now.

I believe he will have to go under anesthesia to have the teeth removed. If he has much tartar on his teeth, you may as well get a full dental done at the same time so he won't have to go under again later. They can also check all of his other teeth in detail to see if they need to watch for more loose teeth in the future.

His eating shouldn't be affected by the front teeth removal, as they don't really chew with their front teeth (just like humans). He may be sore in the mouth for a couple of days and the vet will instruct you on when he can have hard food (I believe you have to soften it for a few days), etc if they need to be pulled. I'm not really sure of the answer in regards to your question about dry sockets.

XOXO Hunter!!! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Adult teeth have roots so they will most likely use anesthesia. It's amazing how they adapt to not having teeth. They can even eat their kibble. Try not to worry too much.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
My parents dog only has her canines and a few molars in the back and she eats her food fine - hers all got pulled at age 6/7 because the vet thought they were wiggly and would go rotten. She is now 11 and can still eat dry food fine (though she really likes it if you add hot water to it).

Good luck at the vets!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Toby had a few loose teeth last year from chewing on the metal bars of the crate. Anyway, the vet took a look at them and said not to worry, they may tighten back up. They pretty much did over time. One is still kind of loose, but they don't seem to bother him.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
oh Hunter I hope you have your teeth taken care of tomorrow and are OK before you know it. Try not to worry Mommy.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Sending positive thoughts to Hunter that the Vet will take care of his teeth and all will be well

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
My Samantha had very bad teeth the last few years of her life - more than half had been removed during dentals and she had no problems eating. They will probably have to put him under but he should be OK - you should have a full dental at the same time to give him a nice set of pearly whites!

Prayers that our little man will have an easy time of it!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
1. Will they have to put him under to pull these teeth or can they give him a local and then pull?
IF they need to be pulled yes he would need anesthesia. However, wobbly incisors can usually be left to their own devices. I would be wondering if there's anything else going on in his mouth.

2. This will leave him with only 3 front teeth between his canines - will this change his ability to eat?
Dogs and cats who have every tooth pulled can eat dry food once they heal up. Dogs who eat dog food don't really use their incisors to eat anyways.

3. How much pain will be be in from this? Is there the possibility of dry pockets like when we have molars removed?
These teeth are small with shallow roots. He will be fine. With any dental procedure a pet will be put on antibiotics because the procedure releases a lot of bacteria.

AND because I think ahead

IF they have to put him under - is there anything else he should have looked at/done while he is under?
He should have a complete dental exam and cleaning. If he has any lumps or bumps you've been waiting to remove this is a good time to do that. If he has any orthopedic concerns this would be a good time to get excellent x-rays. He should have labwork done before anesthesia.

We anesthetize dogs with heart conditions on a regular basis following the recommendations from their cardiologists. We have some excellent, safe anesthetics to use these days.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Boo knocked one of his little top teeth loose during play. One min. he was running & playing,the next min. he was sitting there licking & licking in a weird way. I checked & saw his tooth kinda dangling & his gum bruised.Called the vet,took him in & the vet put something on his gum to deaden the area,took a tool,& very easily & quickly pulled it out.Boo didn't even seem to notice.Vet said he would be fine,just keep an eye on the bruised gum. Took Boo home, he never even seemed to notice he lost a tooth & well,we can't tell either. Cost me $83.00, it was an after hrs. emergency.:blush: Couldn't have that tooth dangling & Boo licking all night.lol That was in Jan.we still don't miss that tooth. Hope it's that easy for Hunter.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I don't have any answers but wanted to tell you to give Hunter a hug for us.
I hope everything goes ok!
:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hiya, im not much help but Bella has NO front teeth at all and also some missing from the back. Although shes a bit slower at her food now she seems to manage ok

I hope that little Hunter will get on ok. We will be thinking of him (and you!) xx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts