Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that I will be getting my puppy this week. The breeder has been feeding her Science Diet Puppy Food. What are your opinions about this? She is twelve weeks old and almost two pounds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 4 2005, 07:20 PM
I just found out that I will be getting my puppy this week.  The breeder has been feeding her Science Diet Puppy Food.  What are your opinions about this?  She is twelve weeks old and almost two pounds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69041
[/QUOTE]

Sapper is now 19 weeks old and that is what he was fed by the breeder and I have continued it. He eats the Puppy Small bites. He even helps pour his food into the dish.
I will be pouring what I know he needs and he will walk behind the bag and jump on it to get more out.

Congrats on getting a new lil one.

Melinda

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 4 2005, 08:20 PM
I just found out that I will be getting my puppy this week.  The breeder has been feeding her Science Diet Puppy Food.  What are your opinions about this?  She is twelve weeks old and almost two pounds.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69041
[/QUOTE]

I would start switching to a high quality food over a two week period. The Science Diet is not so great. Here are the ingredients:

Science Diet Puppy Food
Ground Whole Grain Corn (source of natural digestible carbohydrate & lutein), Chicken By-Product Meal (source of natural protein), Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp (source of natural dietary fiber), Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil (source of natural DHA), Flaxseed (source of natural omega-3 fatty acids & alpha-linolenic acid), Soybean Oil (source of natural omega-6 fatty acids & linoleic acid), Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of stabilized vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene (an antioxidant), Rosemary Extract.

The ingredients that come before the first oil ingredient are the ones that are the most abundant in the food. Here is my take on it:

1st Ingredient Corn: Often an allergin; A protein source should be the first ingredient
2nd Ingredient: Chcken By-Product Meal--- I woudn't feed my dogs anything with by-product in it
3rd Ingredient Soybean Meal: Often an allergin
Where is the whole chicken and non-by-product chicken meal?

Here is Royal Canin Small Breed Puppy, Artemis and Innova... just three of the possibilities for you that are much better than Science Diet. K & C used the Royal Canin and it was a good choice for them. They had firm stools and the kibble is very tiny and they had no trouble chewing it. They didn't like Innova and I couldn't find Artemis in my town.The ingredients in Artemis and Innova are a bit better, though. Notice how they have no corn and brewers rice (cheap filler).

Royal Canin Small Breed Puppy Food
Chicken meal, chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brown rice, dried egg product, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, brewer's yeast, salmon oil, potassium chloride, sodium silico aluminate, rice hulls, chicory extract, salt, choline chloride, salmon meal, dried apples, dried blueberries, taurine, vitamin E supplement, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), ascorbic acid, flax seed, marigold extract, monosodium phosphate, folic acid supplement, zinc oxide, iron sulfate, manganese proteinate, biotin, sage, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, dried ginger, garlic, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, rosemary extract, pyroxidine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement.

Artemis Puppy Food:
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E, C and Rosemary Extract), Oatmeal, Dried Eggs, Fish Meal, Natural Flavoring, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Fresh Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Peas, Whole Fresh Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root (Prebiotics), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Soulubles (Digestive Enzyme), Enterococcus Faecium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus(Probiotics)

Innova Puppy Food
Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, barley, brown rice, cottage cheese, tomatoes, hemp oil, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, potatoes, herring, apples, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, eggs, garlic, dicalcium, phosphate, eggs, garlic, dl-alpha tocopherol, sodium ascorbate, chicory root extract, freeze dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteninate, iron protenate, carotene, niacin d-calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pryidoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Science dog food, Umm I wasn't aware it wasn't that good. I have never heard of the other brands you named not sure where I can find them in my area but I will be looking. Thanks for sharing
Teaco

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Teaco@Jun 4 2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info on the Science dog food, Umm I wasn't aware it wasn't that good. I have never heard of the other brands you named not sure where I can find them in my area but I will be looking. Thanks for sharing
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69052
[/QUOTE]

I will start looking for these now. I wonder if you can buy small quanities of these to see what she will eat.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom+Jun 4 2005, 10:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
@Jun 4 2005, 08:15 PM
Teaco
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69052

I will start looking for these now. I wonder if you can buy small quanities of these to see what she will eat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69076
[/B][/QUOTE]

The pet foods store I shop at has samples... either from the pet food company or they will pour some in a baggy. Also, they will accept returns if the dog doesn't like it. I guess they figure they want you to be happy with the store because when you do find a food your dog likes, you'll be a shopping for it there for many years to come.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is fine to change, but you need to buy a small bag of the food the pup is on and give her a couple of weeks to settle in before changing it. Try to deal with one major stressor at a time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well all I know about science diet puppy is that when I used to feed it Sunny got the worst tear staining ever it went away when I switched food and came back when I tried science diet again (I am feeding something else now) so thats all I have to say about that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts