Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought Caesar a bag of Science Diet chicken and vegetable jerky treats. I just gave him half of a piece alittle bit ago, he LOVES it. I am much more comfortable feeding my baby this than the lungs. :new_Eyecrazy: They also have beef and vegetable flavor. I think these are new, I haven't seen them before, but stopped at the pet store after class today. Just thought I would share. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JMM@Jan 21 2005, 06:34 PM
We use the Solid Gold jerky treats or tiny toys. The dogs love them and the ingredients are top notch.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30764
[/QUOTE]
Oh really. I will have to look for those sometime. I was just walking around and saw these, it's a mixture of veggies and meat, I saw them on the end of the shell and got a packet.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here is the ingredient list for the Science Diet Jerky Treats...not the greatest; i.e., the wheat flour, soy flour, corn gluten meal, corn meal, corn flour, BHA, ethoxyquin, etc.

Science Diet Jerky: "Wheat flour, soy flour, sucrose, corn gluten meal, water, propylene glycol, corn meal, chicken, corn flour, animal fat (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), natural flavor, vegetable oil, dried carrots, natural and artificial chicken flavor, sorbic acid, dried parsley flakes, phosphoric acid, sweet potato powder, titanium dioxide, minerals (calcium chloride, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), ethoxyquin (a preservative), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement)."

Here is info on Solid Gold jerky:

"Solid Gold Beef Jerky Made with beef and brown rice flour, these treats make a nutritionally sound, delicious snack. Solid Gold specializes in the development of "non-allergenic" products. Solid Gold always uses wholesome USDA Choice lamb and beef meal, USDA grade I and II grains, and healthful monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils. They never use chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin. Solid Gold never uses wheat, corn or soy. Animal or poultry fat is never added to their products. Ingredients: Beef, Beef Meal, Beef Liver, Brown Rice Flour, Cracked Oats, Tapioca Starch, Unrefined Brown Sugar, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerine, Molasses, Sea Salt, Garlic, Natural Mesquite Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Vitamin E, Cinnamon, Rosemary. Guaranteed Analysis: Moisture (maximum) 30% Crude Protein (minimum) 12% Crude Fat (minimum) 5% Crude Fiber (maximum) 3.5% 1 pound jar."

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, thanks. I won't buy another packet after he finishes this one, I assumed they were healthy since they were put out by Science Diet and it has been tested by the food people. ( I don't remember the initials at the moment, but I remember someone said to make sure it was tested by them).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Jan 21 2005, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, thanks.  I won't buy another packet after he finishes this one, I assumed they were healthy since they were put out by Science Diet and it has been tested by the food people.  ( I don't remember the initials at the moment,  but I remember someone said to make sure it was tested by them).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30793
[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean... it is sort of like people food.... we figure since it's out there that it's OK but all lots of mfg. care about is making money and not about our health.... grrrr!! One of my pet peeves!!

I'll see a food that looks like it'd be OK and then read the ingredients and I'm shocked! Whether it is people food or dog food it is definitely a buyer beware situation.... That's really such a shame....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jan 21 2005, 09:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Jan 21 2005, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, thanks.  I won't buy another packet after he finishes this one, I assumed they were healthy since they were put out by Science Diet and it has been tested by the food people.  ( I don't remember the initials at the moment,  but I remember someone said to make sure it was tested by them).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30793
I know what you mean... it is sort of like people food.... we figure since it's out there that it's OK but all lots of mfg. care about is making money and not about our health.... grrrr!! One of my pet peeves!!

I'll see a food that looks like it'd be OK and then read the ingredients and I'm shocked! Whether it is people food or dog food it is definitely a buyer beware situation.... That's really such a shame....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30795
[/B][/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, I wont even get into the phamacutical companies
...definantely brought up in a lot of class discussions!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Hills (Science Diet) is one of the worst companies for still using BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin. I avoid their products for that reason. I had bought some of their light chicken treats last Spring and Lady started having seizures again. I hadn't even checked for BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin, but when I realized they contained those preservatives, I threw them out. She hasn't had a seizure since.

CHEMICAL PRESERVATIVES IN DRY PET FOODS

COMPILATION OF RELATED STUDIES AND OBSERVANCES
DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY, NAGOYA CITY UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL, JAPAN.

A recent study was completed to determine the toxicology of BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin and Propyl Gallate. The following is an overview of the findings:

ETHOXYQUIN:

* Promoted kidney carcinogenesis

* Significantly increased the incidence of stomach tumors

* Enhanced bladder carcinogenesis

* Significantly increased number of colon tumors

BHA:

* Causes squamous-cell carcinomas in stomachs of rats and hamsters. (Cancers of this type are among the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals with light colored fur. Many white cats die within months after getting squamous-cell black tumors on their skin).

* Enhanced stomach and urinary bladder carcinogenesis

BHT:

* Promoted urinary bladder carcinogenesis

* Could be a promoter of thyroid carcinogenesis

The study noted that BHA and other such antioxidants, particularly Propyl Gallate and Ethoxyquin, showed additive effects in inducing stomach hyperplasia and cytotoxicity.

According to Dr. Wendell O. Belfield, D.V.M., practicing veterinarian for some 26 years, co-author of "How to Have a Healthier Dog" and "The Very Healthy Cat", and founder of the first Orthomolecular Veterinary Hospital in the United States, both BHA and BHT are known to cause liver and kidney dysfunction and are banned in some European countries. He adds that Ethoxyquin is suspected of causing cancer and that Propylene Glycol, another common pet food ingredient (closely related to anti-freeze), causes the destruction of red blood cells.

ETHOXYQUIN (Often in the past listed as simply "E" on pet food labels)

(Some dog food makers fail to list Ethoxyquin on their labels but when pressured to disclose the facts will admit its use). In late 1992 (and perhaps even today), one of the most expensive dog foods, touted by its manufacturer to be "all natural", listed "E" as an ingredient.

Ethoxyquin is manufactured by Monsanto, who requires employees handling the substance to wear eye and respiratory protection. Containers are marked with a skull and crossbones and prominently display the word "POISON". Ethoxyquin is listed and identified as a hazardous chemical by OSHA. Ethoxyquin has a rating of "3" in the Chemical Toxicology of Commercial Products listings (on a scale of 1 to 6, with 6 being super toxic requiring less than 7 drops to cause death).

The Department of Agriculture lists Ethoxyquin as a pesticide. It is also used as a rubber preservative. It is also approved for use in livestock feeds (such as food for laying hens and dehydrated forage crops of alfalfa, barley, clovers, corn, oats, wheat, fescue and various grasses), its residues therefore entering the human food chain. Based on body weight, the FDA allows Ethoxyquin to be used in PET foods at a rate 300 times higher than permitted as residue in beef, pork, etc. consumed by humans!

Monsanto issues a disclaimer regarding use of Ethoxyquin, stating that "Although the information and recommendations set forth herein are presented in good faith ... Monsanto Company makes no representations as to the completeness or accuracy thereof ... [users must] make their own determination as to its suitability ... Monsanto will not be responsible for damages of any nature whatsoever ..."
Article in "Natural Health" Magazine - May 1999

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
oh mannn...Here i go being a worried mother again... even ever i read about all that stuff... I get nervous! I just tried looking up Kodie's dog food.. Hill's l/d and i see the ingredient Ethoxyquin... It says its a preservative? Hill's l/d I do not see any of those other ingredients listed in the food... umm.. are they still present? Now i'm wondering.. should i discontinue use of this food? I just looked up Chicken soup.. and its about double the protein as in the l/d.... ummm.. I dunno what to do.. anyone know any web sites that tell you how much protein is in human foods if you make ur dog real food? I was thinking of just making Kodie real food.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 25 2005, 09:35 AM
oh mannn...Here i go being a worried mother again... even ever i read about all that stuff... I get nervous!  I just tried looking up Kodie's dog food.. Hill's l/d and i see the ingredient Ethoxyquin... It says its a preservative?  Hill's l/d  I do not see any of those other ingredients listed in the food... umm.. are they still present?  Now i'm wondering.. should i discontinue use of this food?  I just looked up Chicken soup.. and its about double the protein as in the l/d.... ummm.. I dunno what to do.. anyone know any web sites that tell you how much protein is in human foods if you make ur dog real food?  I was thinking of just making Kodie real food.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31261
[/QUOTE]

You should not use a high protein food in a liver dog. If you want to do home cooked, you need to do it in association with your veterinarian. It is very important to keep things low protein for a liver dog. You can use a book like Dr. Strombeck's book with recipes in it and go over them with your vet or have your vet contact a nutritionist for a consult (like UC Davis) and they will formulate a home made diet specifically for your dog's needs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
[/QUOTE]Here is info on Solid Gold jerky:

"Solid Gold Beef Jerky Made with beef and brown rice flour, these treats make a nutritionally sound, delicious snack. Solid Gold specializes in the development of "non-allergenic" products. Solid Gold always uses wholesome USDA Choice lamb and beef meal, USDA grade I and II grains, and healthful monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils. They never use chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin. Solid Gold never uses wheat, corn or soy. Animal or poultry fat is never added to their products. Ingredients: Beef, Beef Meal, Beef Liver, Brown Rice Flour, Cracked Oats, Tapioca Starch, Unrefined Brown Sugar, Phosphoric Acid, Glycerine, Molasses, Sea Salt, Garlic, Natural Mesquite Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Vitamin E, Cinnamon, Rosemary. Guaranteed Analysis: Moisture (maximum) 30% Crude Protein (minimum) 12% Crude Fat (minimum) 5% Crude Fiber (maximum) 3.5% 1 pound jar."
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30792
[/QUOTE]

I have been reading labels on "treats" for weeks, I have not found 1 that did not have any of the no-no ingredients.....Even this Solid Gold has "unrefined brown sugar, molasses, garlic (thought they were not suppose to have garlic)" I am JUST SO CONFUSED.....I decided that Sisse will most likely NEVER have treats...any idea's ??

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The sugar and mollases are in part to make the texture of the treat as well as flavor it. Garlic is a problem in large amounts, not in the amount that is in a Solid Gold treat. Treats should not be the main portion of their diet, and Solid Gold treats are quite high quality IMO. I think any of the flavors would be fine.

I break one treat into 6-8 pieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts