Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to worry everyone with this, but I just need to let it out now.
Four weeks ago Scooby injured his back leg and his patella was slipping in and out and he was really in trouble. We are not sure how it happened but he wasn't himself after his last groom on the Friday. I know accidents can happen and we are not blaming anyone, particularly our groomer who we have talked to and asked if she noticed anything different on the day, she said no he seemed normal to her, she is a lovely lady and very loving with all her clients and Scooby adores her, but, that particular day he wasn't right when he came home. He could have slipped and she may not have noticed, it's possible, but his groom didn't seem the same around his head and I know if Scooby isn't right or feeling good he can be very snarky and perhaps he was giving her a hard time so she just left him be.
Anyway since then on the Saturday morning after he went out to go potty and slipped on the ice, he cried and hopped for a while then was favoring that rear leg, which he wasn't doing Friday so I am thinking that must have made things worse.
We rushed him to the vet and he was checked and his patella was painful and slipping constantly so he was put on Rimadyl which seemed to do well as his leg is normal and he is walking fine on it, but, we kept him on the Rimadyl for the third week of the month and everything has just gone down hill with him since then.
He went off his food, he started vomiting last Sunday and had diarhea so I called our vet at home and she met us at the clinic to check him. I told her I had stopped the Rimadyl because I suspected it was upsetting his stomach, she agreed to keep him off it from then. He has lost considerable weight and is still refusing to eat. He has gone from 11.4lb to 10.4lb in the month with most of the weight loss from last Sunday.
Yesterday we thought he was on the mend as he seemed a little perky but still not eating voluntarily, I have been suringing baby food, sweet potato and chicken into him a table spoon at a time and he would keep that down. He also is having a chalky medicine to line his stomach to allow it to heal, plus another med to stop the vomiting and now he is on some prescription food to build him up, which I have to suringe into him because he has absolutley no interest in eating at all. except for some boiled chicked, he ate about 3 mouthfulls and threw it up.
We took him back to the vet yesteday and she finally did a full blood panel and I get the result this morning, he drank some water last night and threw all that up but kept the food down that I suringed into him, but he is weak and not himself at all.
We are so scared that the Rimadyl has caused some damage to his insides as some dogs do not do well on it for prolonged periods even though Scooby was only on it for 3 weeks I am thinking the third week was just one too many.
Please keep poor little Scooby in your thoughts and prayers today that his blood panel comes back normal and there is no internal damage going on, we are just so worried and distressed over this because Scooby has always been such a healthy happy little boy before all this happened

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
So sorry to hear this Janet..I really hope Scooby gets better as each day passes..
I will keep you both in my prayers.

ANDREA~

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I will definately keep Scoopy in my prayers.
I hope the blood test will tell you whats going on & that isn't anything too serious.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, Janet, I am so sorry to hear this news! My Lady is really sick now and I know how upset you must be.

I will pray that the blood panel comes back okay and he hasn't suffered any permanent damage from the Rimadyl. I know we've all heard horror stories about it, but remember, those are rare compared to the number of dogs who take it with no problems. My sister's german shepherd takes it daily for arthritis with no problem.

Having just gone through this with Lady, could Scooby just really be dehydrated? These little ones dehydrate pretty quickly and it makes them really, really sick. I'd been syringing food and hand feeding Lady, even syringing pedialite and would have sworn she'd gotten enough (and she wasn't vomiting or diidn't have diarrhea) and she still got dehydrated from the infection. A few weeks ago she was so limp I thought she was dying and rushed her into my vet, but it was dehydration, not the infection, that was making her so weak. She got IV fliuds for a few days and was much better. I am doing subq fluids on her at home now just to keep her hydrated and strong while she battles this infection.

I will pray for your little guy. Let us know as soon as you get the cbc results, okay?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Janet, I am so sorry to hear about Scooby. I saw in one of your posts that you mentioned Scooby was not doing well. I wanted to ask then what was wrong but I felt like you would let us know when you wanted us to know. I hope and pray that you get good results from the blood panel and that Scooby will be feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Janet,

I will pray for scooby's fast recovery....poor little guy. I hope the baby brother is not annoying him while he is sick...you know how they can be.

Marj,

I will also pray for Lady as she mends...what a strong little girl she is.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Hi, I'm new on here, but I can't imagine how horrible it would be if Angel got really sick.

Know that Scooby & you are in my thoughts & prayers!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm so sorry that Scooby isn't doing well. Sending prayers and good vibes his way.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, Janet, I am so sorry to hear this news! My Lady is really sick now and I know how upset you must be.

I will pray that the blood panel comes back okay and he hasn't suffered any permanent damage from the Rimadyl. I know we've all heard horror stories about it, but remember, those are rare compared to the number of dogs who take it with no problems. My sister's german shepherd takes it daily for arthritis with no problem.

Having just gone through this with Lady, could Scooby just really be dehydrated? These little ones dehydrate pretty quickly and it makes them really, really sick. I'd been syringing food and hand feeding Lady, even syringing pedialite and would have sworn she'd gotten enough (and she wasn't vomiting or diidn't have diarrhea) and she still got dehydrated from the infection. A few weeks ago she was so limp I thought she was dying and rushed her into my vet, but it was dehydration, not the infection, that was making her so weak. She got IV fliuds for a few days and was much better. I am doing subq fluids on her at home now just to keep her hydrated and strong while she battles this infection.

I will pray for your little guy. Let us know as soon as you get the cbc results, okay?
[/B]
Thanks Marj, we have kept an eye on Scooby for dehydration and he is fine that way, the vet checked for it too, he is taking water, but just won't eat at all and when he vomits it's the water that he brings up if he has too much at a time so now I am limiting him a little to how much he has at one time hoping he won't throw it up and the food I just forced into him. If you see him he looks fine, his attitude is almost normal most of the day but he just won't eat voluntarily, he doesn't have diarrhea now, he did a normal poop this morning, only a little one but it wasn't loose. We are just at our wits end as to what is going on, so once we get the blood panel results we may know what we are dealing with hopefully.
I truly hope little Lady is feeling better too, I will keep her in my prayers along with you Marj

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Janet, I just want you to know that I will pray for Scooby. When I get back from my day at the flea market I'll check. Hang in there my friend

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will pray for scooby's fast recovery....poor little guy. I hope the baby brother is not annoying him while he is sick...you know how they can be.[/B]
Oh he would love to play with Scooby but we are keeping him away for now, Scooby has never really wanted to play with him, and now I think I can see he just wasn't feeling well enough

The thought also has crossed my mind that some of this could be emotional too, Scooby has always been #1 and now he is sharing his mummy and daddy, I mentioned this to the vet, and she said it's possible some dogs are just not meant to have siblings to share their home with.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Janet.. certainly praying hard for little Scooby to have a speedy recovery. Having a sick little one and not knowing the "why" is very frustrating. Will pray the bloodwork shows nothing that is serious and that he just needs a bit of time to recoup!

·
Premium Member
16,776 Posts
Janet, I'm so sorry to hear that Scooby is still not feeling well. I'm going to pray for him and hope to hear from you soon that his blood panel is ok.

1 - 20 of 451 Posts