Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 451 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ok everyone, I just spoke to the vet and Scooby's bloodwork Cbc came back almost perfect. He was marginally dehydrated but not a worry there, his blood sugar (glucose) is one point above normal, his liver and electrolites were marginally low but not a concern, his kidney function is perfect, all in all she said it was an almost perfect result, nothing there to worry about at all, the good thing is there is not liver damage what so ever

Tomorrow at 9am I am to drop him off for xrays of the digestive tract to rule out obstruction as a cause of his vomiting although we are now leaning toward emotional stress as being the cause but Barb just wants to make sure there isn't something in his stomach that could be causing his vomiting.

I want to thank you all so very much for your kind thoughts and prayers as I am sure they have helped yet again another of our precious little ones come through with a good result in a very important way, thank you everyone, we sure are a wonderful family who share our great love for our little babies

Now all we need to do is get through the xray tomorrow, even if it shows something at least then we know what we are up against and can deal with it

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Sure glad to hear Scoobys blood test results are within normal range & I hope that rules out the worse possible causes of his illness. I wonder if he could have a virus of some sort. Boo was very sick last yr. & couldn't eat or drink for several days & just laid around & made little pitiful moaning sounds. Scared me to death so I know how you feel, seeing Scooby so sick. Hope he recovers soon & that the x-rays all look good.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

I bet it is just stress. It is amazing how sensitive these little ones are. If they don't feel well, they sure let you know, don't they?

Hugs to you both!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Ok everyone, I just spoke to the vet and Scooby's bloodwork Cbc came back almost perfect. He was marginally dehydrated but not a worry there, his blood sugar (glucose) is one point above normal, his liver and electrolites were marginally low but not a concern, his kidney function is perfect, all in all she said it was an almost perfect result, nothing there to worry about at all, the good thing is there is not liver damage what so ever
[/B]
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Awww...we all knew Mr. Scooby is practically perfect in everyway!!!
</span>

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
wonderful news! Bless his little heart...maybe Scooby really does like being the only child. You and Scooby will continue to be in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

I bet it is just stress. It is amazing how sensitive these little ones are. If they don't feel well, they sure let you know, don't they?

Hugs to you both![/B]
Marj, I have thought all along and have mentioned it to Barb that I am wondering if Scooby is stressed over Koko, but she said it's most unusual for a dog to go on this long not showing interest in his food so suddenly and continuing on the same path for so long. The thing is he was eating well right up till last week so it really can't be Koko, he has been here now for almost 5 months, but as you say who knows with these little ones, they are so very sensitive to so many things that we take in our stride. I am leaning toward thinking he could be upset because of his injury and the fact that he hasn't had his little strolls around the block etc. but we will see tomorrow after the xray.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts

Tomorrow at 9am I am to drop him off for xrays of the digestive tract to rule out obstruction as a cause of his vomiting although we are now leaning toward emotional stress as being the cause but Barb just wants to make sure there isn't something in his stomach that could be causing his vomiting.

I want to thank you all so very much for your kind thoughts and prayers as I am sure they have helped yet again another of our precious little ones come through with a good result in a very important way, thank you everyone, we sure are a wonderful family who share our great love for our little babies

Now all we need to do is get through the xray tomorrow, even if it shows something at least then we know what we are up against and can deal with it
[/B]
Oh thank goodness nothing showed up on the blood work!! He couldn't have eaten an earplug, could he? If Lucy starts exhibiting those same symptoms, that will always be my first thought now!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Oh this is wonderful news!!!

Is Scooby going to need Patella surgery?[/B]
Thanks Deb, we have discussed that also with Barb and at this point his knee is doing well, she thinks it was a ligament strain and the Rimadyl took care of that, she cannot foresee surgery at this point because he is walking normally on both rear legs and there is not more slipping of patellas that she can feel.

Oh thank goodness nothing showed up on the blood work!! He couldn't have eaten an earplug, could he? If Lucy starts exhibiting those same symptoms, that will always be my first thought now![/B]
Ha! funny you should mention that, but Scooby isn't really one to pick up and eat foreign objects, but Barb asked the very same thing.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oh this is wonderful news!!!

Is Scooby going to need Patella surgery?[/B]
Thanks Deb, we have discussed that also with Barb and at this point his knee is doing well, she thinks it was a ligament strain and the Rimadyl took care of that, she cannot foresee surgery at this point because he is walking normally on both rear legs and there is not more slipping of patellas that she can feel.

[/B]

Way to go Scooby Dude!!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
OH FANTASTIC!!! that the blood work came out fine.. As you were mentioning that it might be related too little Koko...my thought was it seems odd to just crop up now... however did crop up so close to the injury.
My bet would be on there is some relation to getting hurt...and maybe the med caused tummy to feel out of sorts and the combination just so stressful for the little guy.
Good to rule out any possible internal obstruction.. if nothing there...You know things can't be too terrible...though maybe trying a change from chicken 'just to see' might be a good idea. You may have already tried and I missed the post ( haven't had time to read thru them all).
Anyway will continue the prayers till little Scooby-Doo is 100% back to his ole self!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh I am so happy to hear that Scooby's bloodwork came back so positive!! I have been checking and re-checking what was going on. The second I read "Rimadyl" I start shaking due to what we suspect was one of the "rare" cases of problems we went thru with it. It appears to be a miracle drug for so many issues and yet I carry alot of guilt and grief over having given it to my parents little Daisy that died New Year's Eve day. No, we don't have enough conclusive proof but the doubt lingers in my mind. I will never give another furbaby that medicine. I'm sorry...my guilt is speaking here but I just can't take the chance.

I am just so happy no liver damage is showing on Scooby and hope very soon everything is back to normal for you!!!!!

Sharyl & Hailey

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
OH FANTASTIC!!! that the blood work came out fine.. As you were mentioning that it might be related too little Koko...my thought was it seems odd to just crop up now... however did crop up so close to the injury.
My bet would be on there is some relation to getting hurt...and maybe the med caused tummy to feel out of sorts and the combination just so stressful for the little guy.
Good to rule out any possible internal obstruction.. if nothing there...You know things can't be too terrible...though maybe trying a change from chicken 'just to see' might be a good idea. You may have already tried and I missed the post ( haven't had time to read thru them all).
Anyway will continue the prayers till little Scooby-Doo is 100% back to his ole self![/B]
We are force feeding him at the moment, no chicken, just prescription food from the vet now just to build him up, but sadly he just threw up again, so we are back to square one on what to feed him
Everything he is eating is force fed and most seems to stay inside him for most of the day then in the later part of the day today he has pooped a little and thrown up again, so I am not going to panic and keep up what we are doing till after we see the xray result.
One thing I am thinking is he had taken a real liking to the nylabone edible treats and when I look back he has eaten a few of them in the last month, perhaps he has been unable to digest them properly and he could have a lump of that in his tummy, again grasping at straws but trying to look into all aspects of what the heck is going on with him.
The odd part is if you look at him he looks normal, he is not hunched in pain, he is walking normal and barking at passers by, all normal Scooby's daily ritual. One thing I am thinking is he is missing his daily walk that he hasn't been able to have since his injury and since being sick, yet when we say do you want to come out for a ride in the car he gets all excited and we take him and he is fine, his usual bossy little self demanding the window down etc and yelling at everyone he sees, I am just so puzzled as to what is going on and I am hoping and praying that what ever it is goes away and he gets better real soon

41 - 60 of 451 Posts