Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rex went to the vet today and we found that he had scratched his cornea

He started having a grey discharge yesterday and squinting a lot. They had to put yellow stuff in his eye, which drained onto his fur

He rubs up against everything like he thinks he is a cat.
We dont have any other pets so I am guess he did this by rubbing up against the bricks around the fireplace. Time to put pillows around it! I feel like a bad mommy

He also has been scratching with no fleas that I can find, although I did see one in his potty box a few days ago, they said that he could be allergic to the flea saliva and still itching even though the flea was long gone. They gave me K-9 Advantix to put on him and said not to wash him for 3 weeks! I wanted to take him to the groomer and get the 4th of July special with the patriotic tag and bandana and nails and all and he is supposed to smell like baked apple pie when I get him back!

Anyway he goes back next week to get his boosters that he was supposed to get today, they want his eye to be healed first.
We got him last month and brought him home on May 15th, his first vet visit on May 24th he weighed 5.1 pounds. Today he only weighed 3.7 pounds. My mother in law was feeding him table food and we feed him Nutro Natures Best (I think that is the whole name it is Nutro something) He loves it and we dont feed him a scrap of human food. I am wondering if that is why he had the drop in weight, he eats just fine and looks fine. The vet said we will keep an eye on his weight too.
I have to take my human kids to swim. Have a good day everyone!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut scratched his cornea before too. The vet did an eye stain test. He turned out fine. Turns out that Peanut likes to take nose dives into the bushes and I guess a twig scratched his eye

That does seem like a lot of weight to drop so quickly. Keep us posted on his weight after your next vet visit.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Gosh, that's more than 20% of his weight in less than a month! Did your vet think he was too thin or was he overweight at the May weigh in?

How old is he?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 14 2005, 12:28 PM

We got him last month and brought him home on May 15th, his first vet visit on May 24th he weighed 5.1 pounds.  Today he only weighed 3.7 pounds.  My mother in law was feeding him table food and we feed him Nutro Natures Best (I think that is the whole name it is Nutro something) He loves it and we dont feed him a scrap of human food.  I am wondering if that is why he had the drop in weight, he eats just fine and looks fine.  The vet said we will keep an eye on his weight too. 
I have to take my human kids to swim.  Have a good day everyone!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72501
[/QUOTE]

If I am reading everything correctly, that is a very, very fast drop in weight... over a pound in about 3 weeks... approx. a 25% drop. That would be like a 100-pound person going down to 75 pounds in 3 weeks. Does he look thinner than before? I'm wondering if there was a mistake and it was 3.1 before or maybe 4.1.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It has been my expierence that unless you are using the same vet on the same scale weight can look like it has changed drastically but it hasn't. I would pick on scale to weigh him on all the time and watch his weight that way. I think if he really lost that much weight you would notice. Tunny weighed 4.2 lbs this weekend at the vet at home he weighed 6lbs at my moms he weighed 3.4lbs. His correct weight is right around 4-4.5lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
My guess is the first time they weight him they made a mistake. Can also be a typo in his file.

Alex had his eye scratched by a stray cat in our yard. He was very very lucky.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering if it was from the change in table food to dog food? He doesnt feel any thinner. On the scales at the vet there is a screen so I saw for myself his weight both times. He was a little squirmier today-the scale at the vet is this big flat thing that they stand on like the length of a treadmill, I dont know if him moving around would have effected it, they weighed him twice and took the one where he was the stillest. The first time he was 4.0. I am not really concerned about it that much, since he is eating well and doesnt feel or look any thinner. I guess we will see next week what he weighs at the vet. Here, I can step on my scales 5 different times and get 5 different readings, so it isnt very accurate to check him by. I need new scales! Anyway now we are off to my daughters gymnastics. It is one of those busy days!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Jun 14 2005, 09:43 PM
Just a random thought, but was he wearing a different collar/tags from one trip to another?  Running joke with my vet with Cassie's weight was "is that with or without her collar and tags?"  Last time they weighed her it was 6.3 lbs but I figured I could easily deduct the .3 for the collar, id/rabies tags, St. Francis medal and her bandana...or maybe more than .3 lbs.  Probably should have taken it all off but didn't think about it then.  Or maybe I'll just weigh all her "accessories".  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72675
[/QUOTE]
Lol! My vet always bugs me about the tags weighing more than the dogs too!
Peanut and Tic have their own personal scale at the vet b/c there aren't any other small breeds that go there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 14 2005, 11:28 AM

He started having a grey discharge yesterday and squinting a lot.  They had to put yellow stuff in his eye, which drained onto his fur   

He rubs up against everything like he thinks he is a cat. 
  We dont have any other pets so I am guess he did this by rubbing up against the bricks around the fireplace.  Time to put pillows around it!  I feel like a bad mommy 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72501
[/QUOTE]

Watch him closely! Did the vet give you an E-collar while he was healing, to protect him from furthur injury? I know if it gets infected after a scratch it can get much worse. We have a canine opthomologist who puts a "contact" lens type think on the eyeball to prevent it from being hurt any furthur and aid healing.

You are NOT a bad Mommy! Accidents happen all the time. He may have scratched it on something benign and not the bricks. They are terribly curious little things!

Hope he's all better soon! Poor baby!

Robyn

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Msloke@Jun 14 2005, 08:43 PM
Just a random thought, but was he wearing a different collar/tags from one trip to another?  Running joke with my vet with Cassie's weight was "is that with or without her collar and tags?"  Last time they weighed her it was 6.3 lbs but I figured I could easily deduct the .3 for the collar, id/rabies tags, St. Francis medal and her bandana...or maybe more than .3 lbs.  Probably should have taken it all off but didn't think about it then.  Or maybe I'll just weigh all her "accessories".  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72675
[/QUOTE]
That is funny you say that, he had the collar he came in on his first visit, it was heavier!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No e-collar. Never heard of one. I am still so new to all this! Anyway Rex's eye is open all the way now and just in 12 hours the discharge is gone and he is seeming to be back to being himself. We are trying to keep him from rubbing up against the fireplace now! He doesnt seem to be pawing at it or anything after I put the ointment in, it doesnt seem to bother him at all.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GOOD VET VISIT! Rex wasnt happy though! He has started getting very nervous when he goes now, well this is the 3rd time in 4 weeks! His eye is all better, but I have to continue the medicine for 3 more days. He got 3 shots and weighed 5.2 pounds! That sounds more like it! He is a free dog for 3 more weeks, then he needs another booster.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Yeah Rex
Hope he continues to improve!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Rex just hurt his eye again
He is squinting it like he did before and he was just rubbing up against the wall and was fine. Luckily I still have medicine for his eye and I will see how it is in the morning. He rubs up against everything like he is a cat. I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jul 1 2005, 09:11 PM
  He is squinting it like he did before and he was just rubbing up against the wall and was fine.  Luckily I still have medicine for his eye and I will see how it is in the morning.  He rubs up against everything like he is a cat.  I dont know what to do. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77022
[/QUOTE]
Poor Rex!!!!
Oh, I hope he feels better
Good luck with Rex

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by angel+Jul 1 2005, 09:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Jul 1 2005, 09:11 PM
  He is squinting it like he did before and he was just rubbing up against the wall and was fine.  Luckily I still have medicine for his eye and I will see how it is in the morning.  He rubs up against everything like he is a cat.  I dont know what to do.  

Poor Rex!!!!
Good luck with Rex
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77028
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I feel like crying at this moment. I feel like a failure. This is the second time he has done this within 3 weeks. I dont know what else to do other than pad all the walls and that just isnt do-able. Is Rex the only one that has this cat like instinct to rub up against everything? Hopefully he didnt scratch it again, but he is keeping his eye shut like he did before. He has been off the medicine for less than a week. I did put it in his eye again and hopefully he is better by morning. We go to Petsmart vet and they are open on the weekend so if he isnt better I will have to take him back in and postpone his grooming appointment again.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom+Jul 1 2005, 06:24 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2005, 09:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Jul 1 2005, 09:11 PM

Poor Rex!!!!
Good luck with Rex
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77028

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I feel like crying at this moment. I feel like a failure. This is the second time he has done this within 3 weeks. I dont know what else to do other than pad all the walls and that just isnt do-able. Is Rex the only one that has this cat like instinct to rub up against everything? Hopefully he didnt scratch it again, but he is keeping his eye shut like he did before. He has been off the medicine for less than a week. I did put it in his eye again and hopefully he is better by morning. We go to Petsmart vet and they are open on the weekend so if he isnt better I will have to take him back in and postpone his grooming appointment again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=77037
[/B][/QUOTE]

You are NOT a failure! I've never heard of anyone padding the walls (at least not outside a psychiatric hospital) to protect their dog. You can't control something like that. I'd just take him back in and have the vet take a look. Chin up, it will be ok!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am going to take him to bed now so he can sleep and rest his eye. He wont go to bed unless I am there too. I think sleep will do us both good. I hope come morning he is better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts