Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a maltese boy named Pochi, he is 51/2 months old. My husband is crazy about him and is suggesting to buy the female. I would like your opinions, for those of you who have 2 maltese.

We work 8 hours and we left him at home alone. Everytime he plays with my friends dogs he is so happy but when we arrive home he is kind of depressed, he just lay down on the floor looking sad, he does not want to play neither come to us. After 3 hours he is fine again. I think it would be a good idea to buy the female, but would like your comments.

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,

I think you're right about getting another puppy.

I got my second baby when Frosty was 7 1/2 months old. He was very lonely without anyone home... (especially that i work...)

Once Mini came along, he changed soooo much. He was never bored, always happy and very enegetic. (Not to mention that my house was a ruin... toilet paper all over the house, but ohhh boy they're surely not alone.

Dogs are very social animals. It doesnt mean that they have to have human all the time, dogs can make good comapny as well....

Ania;)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Most breeders recommend waiting until about a year to add another one, I think, to make sure your first one is 100% housebroken and well behaved so that he or she can set a good example for another one. Otherwise, you'll end up with double the problems.

As with getting the first one, just make sure you are prepared for the 15 year (hopefully) commitment before taking on the responsibility, especially the financial obligation. As those of us on this forum with older dogs can attest to, this breed is prone to a host of health problems and can be very expensive. I think many people make the mistake of thinking that after the first year of the purchase price, shots, spaying, etc., they are over the hump financially. Lots of health issues don't show up until after 3 years old. My Lady was diagnosed with epilepsy at 4 and diabetes at 5 and her medications cost about $150 a month alone. Just ask yourself if one of your dogs needed $2,500 worth of orthopedic surgery for luxtaing patellas if you could afford it. And could you afford it for two dogs?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Go for it, Pudge was that age when we got Josie for him and it was the best thing we ever did. We did it for the same reason, we are gone all day long. They are the best buds and I never feel guilty that they are home becasue they are not alone, so I say go for it...However remember I am also the one considering my 3rd/4th Malt
So I may not be the best representation on here
Seriously though you will not regret it and it is a great age for you to get another one, they will adapt to each other so easily. Let him pick her out. We took Pudge with us and it was clear when we found the "one".

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got Maya when Daezie was 5-6 months old. But Daezie was/is really smart ans she was potty trained when Maya come to live with us.

I our case we have two girls and they get along great. Daezie and Maya get alone perfectly. Daezie is the alpha dog.

I too work 7 hrs every day and my husband works all day too so we don't fell as bad that they stay home for that time.

We are thinkin of adding a 3rd one. I would love to adopt a homeless maltese and so i'm searching for her (I prefer females).

Wish you the best....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts