Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a little early, but we will begin signing up for the Gift Exchange in September.

After last year's Gift Exchange, I had asked for suggestions to improve the process and we did have a handful of suggestions. Here is the thread:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/59-everything-else-maltese-related/102299-secret-santa-question.html

So, what I'm asking is:

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending?
2. Will you adhere to it?
3. What would you suggest the limit be?
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.)

Please let me know of anything else you think of. I'm working on putting this year's rules together so that I can send them to Yung for approval.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Secret Santa!!!!!! yay!

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? No, I think it should be in categories and people pick what value they want to spend - and they are matched with someone with the same value.
2. Will you adhere to it? yes
3. What would you suggest the limit be? $25 - $30, $30 - $40, $40 - $50, $50+
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) yep!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I think there should be limits. I would really like to keep- the limits lower and hopefully contribute more to rescue. There are so many fluffs in need. It's fun to get presents, but how about we buy something small for our secret santa, and give either money or needed items of the same value to rescue.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Lynn. Last year was the first time I took part in SS and I felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things people were giving and put upon to match it, even though that wasn't necessary. I know a lot of people had history here but as a newcomer it felt a bit awkward. I think in these times the economy is still hitting a lot of us and I like to give money several times during the year to rescues and charities and thus would rather spend more money there. I think more of Secret Santa as the thought that counts more than the money spent, while I know the rescues really need cash to help with the increase of dogs in need and perform medical tests and procedures.

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I think it would be a good idea to set parameters.
2. Will you adhere to it? Yes.
3. What would you suggest the limit be? Around $25- $30
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) Could do this though I would think it would make the matching up harder and could make people feel bad if they can only afford the lower category vs. high. If everyone spends the same thing then no hard feelings. JMO

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Lynn. Last year was the first time I took part in SS and I felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things people were giving and put upon to match it, even though that wasn't necessary. I know a lot of people had history here but as a newcomer it felt a bit awkward. I think in these times the economy is still hitting a lot of us and I like to give money several times during the year to rescues and charities and thus would rather spend more money there. I think more of Secret Santa as the thought that counts more than the money spent, while I know the rescues really need cash to help with the increase of dogs in need and perform medical tests and procedures.

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I think it would be a good idea to set parameters.
2. Will you adhere to it? Yes.
3. What would you suggest the limit be? Around $25- $30
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) Could do this though I would think it would make the matching up harder and could make people feel bad if they can only afford the lower category vs. high. If everyone spends the same thing then no hard feelings. JMO
My feelings exactly!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I would like to
2. Will you adhere to it? Yes
3. What would you suggest the limit be? No more than 50
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.)

I would prefer to not have very many categories of spending, if there are different categories at all. I am afraid that if there are too many separate categories it would be very hard to match people up. Perhaps an "under $25" category and a "$25 to $50" category would be nice.

If some people are feeling generous, maybe they could adopt a rescue as their "Secret Santa" and send them some needed items. :)

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the idea of adopting a rescue as a SS.

My opinion is that we keep the limit to $25 + shipping costs. Remember that the fluffs enjoy toys, flossies and cookies more than anything else. The rest is for us Moms, imho. LOL

My hopes are that we set a hard limit and then that those that can, also donate to rescue, but it's really up to you guys, so whatever you decide is fine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I really like the idea of adopting a rescue as a SS.

My opinion is that we keep the limit to $25 + shipping costs. Remember that the fluffs enjoy toys, flossies and cookies more than anything else. The rest is for us Moms, imho. LOL

My hopes are that we set a hard limit and then that those that can, also donate to rescue, but it's really up to you guys, so whatever you decide is fine.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I haven't been able to participate in SS the past two years, but I thought I would give my imput anyway. :)

I think it would be best to have a minimum & maximum limit. Perhaps a minimum of $10 and a maximum of $30. Shipping expenses would be in addition to that.

I do also like April's idea of an "Under $25" and "$25-$50" category. Realistically, though, you can get a few cute things (treats, toys, perhaps a gift card to pet store, grooming items, etc) by spending $25 or less. I just know a few members on here really love to spoil their Secret Santa pups and enjoy shopping excessively for them so perhaps that 2nd higher category would be good to have.

Also, if we had a lower spending limit, people with more than one fluff could probably do SS for each of their babies instead of just one. If I'm able to participate this year, I know I couldn't do $50 each for both London & Preston, but under $25 for each of them would be a bit more reasonable...especially for those who have to clear it with their hubbys! lol

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I've enjoyed the secret santa for quite a few years but did not participate last year for several personal reasons.

If I do participate this year it would probably be just for one of my dogs. And I used to enjoy gathering "stuff" and maybe a little bit spoiling my SS a bit. Haven't actually really decided if I'm going to participate this year yet. but.......I do like the idea of having two groups to choose from under $25 and over $25 sounds nice. Of course the majority rules on this one.

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I like having the choice of under $25 and over $25
2. Will you adhere to it? yep
3. What would you suggest the limit be? ummmm under $25 and over $25 (but not over $50)
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) just two I guess

Please let me know of anything else you think of. I'm working on putting this year's rules together so that I can send them to Yung for approval.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I'm up for whatever the majority vote is :) I like the under $25 and over $25 category but in all reality someone could spend $25 and be in the over $25 category. It's not about the gift or how expensive or elaborate it is, it's the thought that goes into it. I just love seeing how excited my pups are when they get a package in the mail! Maybe make a minimum spending limit of $25 and a maximum of $30. I know that I like to send something nice to my SS and you can't order a cute custom dress for much less than $30.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I love being a part of Secret Santa. I admit I'm guilty of spending more than the limit because I saw how much everyone else was spending. I am totally fine with going with a smaller limit though and sticking to it if that's what everyone promises to do. I'm up for anything so whatever everyone decides is fine with me!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I was wondering about the SS a few days ago.

I would like to see a cap spending limit ($25-30.00 range), not to include postage. But I am fine with going with the majority

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I would like to
3. What would you suggest the limit be? No more than 50

I would prefer to not have very many categories of spending, if there are different categories at all. I am afraid that if there are too many separate categories it would be very hard to match people up. Perhaps an "under $25" category and a "$25 to $50" category would be nice.

If some people are feeling generous, maybe they could adopt a rescue as their "Secret Santa" and send them some needed items. :)
I was just thinking about last year's SS this morning and remembered that in Secret Santa we can choose to have our SS contribute to a rescue of our choice. That's what I did last year and indeed my chosen rescue got money but my wonderful SS also sent Tyler a few little fun gifts so he had something to open.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Personally, I'd rather not have categories and just have a specific range, maybe $25-$50, not including postage.

I would stick with the limit.

I've always loved participating in the SS and look forward to it again this year.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I think capping it at $25-$30 (not including postage) is a good idea.
2. Will you adhere to it? I would adhere to that.
3. What would you suggest the limit be? See above.
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) I think that categories would be too difficult for you to organize.

I have always loved Secret Santa and think it is still a great idea. I absolutely LOVE the idea of having the option to contribute to a rescue of our choice.

Basically, what everyone decides on, I am will be most happy to go along with the decision.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was just thinking about last year's SS this morning and remembered that in Secret Santa we can choose to have our SS contribute to a rescue of our choice. That's what I did last year and indeed my chosen rescue got money but my wonderful SS also sent Tyler a few little fun gifts so he had something to open.
Yes we sure did. :biggrin:

1. Do we want to set a hard and fast limit on spending? I think capping it at $25-$30 (not including postage) is a good idea.
3. What would you suggest the limit be? See above.
4. Would you prefer to go to categories of spending? (i.e., $20-30, $30-40, $40-50, etc.) No it would be too administrative for you.

I think contributing to a rescue shelter is a very good idea; it's nice to share with other fluffs that aren't as fortunate as ours. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I'm guilty of overspending because I have so much fun doing it! That's a personal problem I guess.:w00t:
That said I do think we should set a limit and yes I will stick to it. I'll go along with the majority on what the limit is.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I just want to say that we really enjoyed being part of the Secret Santa last year!
It was SO much fun to shop and wrap presents.
And then receiving parcels in the mail from far away places was so neat!
My hubby was amazed that our pup got a package all the way from Ireland!
And Paris was so happy to get mail from the US.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts