Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still feeding Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl and Secret has been doing very well on it and seems to have made the adjustment with no problems.

Yesterday I rotated proteins again and this time we were using grounded sirloin. Lacie can't eat beef so I do something else for her, but Tilly is good on beef and so I gave beef to Secret too.

She threw up her dinner about midnight. She's fine this morning, and ate chicken for breakfast. I don't think I'll try her on beef again either.

That means that Tilly probably won't be getting much beef either if neither Lacie or Secret can have it.

Do any of your fluffs seem to have problems digesting beef?

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Rain is that way with beef. She does not tolerate it well. Those angels seem to have sensitive stomachs. She does fine on chicken, never tried pork. I felt it would not go over well with her either. She loves veggies too. I would just mark beef off Secret's list.....LOL!!!! She's a cutie for sure~~~~:wub:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
So sorry about Secret. It's so sad when they throw up. I want to hold Tyler's forehead like I did for my DS. We never have had any trouble with beef. Tyler's a little carnivore I guess.:blush:

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Poor Secret....I'm sorry she had an upset tummy....glad to know that though....in case I ever felt like giving my kids beef. I've never given it to them because I thought red meat caused tear staining and I've always tried so hard to keep Abbey's face clean.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Boo doesn't seem to tolerate beef well either, so I never buy it anymore. Don't even buy the bullysticks anymore.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Awww! poor Secret. :( Lola had her Dr Harvey's last night for the second time with salmon, but she threw it up. She helped herself to Acana later in the evening to fill herself up again though. I think I am maybe giving her a bit too much, she is used to periodically eating her kibble and not having a big meal. I think it is a bit too much of a shock to her system.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like beef doesn't agree with most of the angels (and some of the others too). It really is hard for me to digest too -- so beef is off our list of foods. Better for us anyway.

So far, Secret has had chicken, ground turkey, ground lamb, salmon and eggs without any problems, so it just seems to be beef. Lacie can't tolerate beef either, and Tilly is just as happy with any of the other proteins -- so, no Beef.

BTW -- Secret is fine and ate her chicken for breakfast without any problems.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Awww I'm sorry Secret threw up. I'm glad she was ok this morning.

Dixie eats anything with no problems (thank you God :aktion033:). Our vet in MA always tells me not to feed her beef. He says most dogs are allergic or have problems digesting it. I read just recently that beef is at the top of the list for food allergies in dogs. I had always fed Dixie beef and she has no problem with it so I continue to use it in my rotation of proteins. We use Dr. Harvey's too but the Canine Health kind. I just started to use Preference mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with Dr. H. She is crazy about it. I was going to switch her to it for a while just to rotate her foods. Then Whole Dog Journal arrived with an article on feeding Carbs so I may just keep it 1/2 and 1/2.

Give Secret a big kiss for me and a nose lick from Dixie.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awww! poor Secret. :( Lola had her Dr Harvey's last night for the second time with salmon, but she threw it up. She helped herself to Acana later in the evening to fill herself up again though. I think I am maybe giving her a bit too much, she is used to periodically eating her kibble and not having a big meal. I think it is a bit too much of a shock to her system.
Secret was eating kibble when she got here. Bonnie had even sent some with her so that I would have some.

In switching her to Dr. Harvey's I've fed her 3 small meals a day as I ddn't want her to get ill with the switching of foods. I would try that with Lola. Now that we're into our 3rd week, I have moved Secret to 2 meals a day that are a little bigger. And then they get 1 small cookie at bedtime (Buddy Biscuit).

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Secret threw up, i hope that she's doing better now. I feed mine beef and they don't have a problem with it. I just made up a batch last night with ground chuck.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex does fine with any kind of meat. He mostly has beef (eye of round steaks). But the meat I feed comes from the butcher not from dog food.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Secret was eating kibble when she got here. Bonnie had even sent some with her so that I would have some.

In switching her to Dr. Harvey's I've fed her 3 small meals a day as I ddn't want her to get ill with the switching of foods. I would try that with Lola. Now that we're into our 3rd week, I have moved Secret to 2 meals a day that are a little bigger. And then they get 1 small cookie at bedtime (Buddy Biscuit).
She usually doesn't hardly eat during the day and prefers to eat more at night, so I think I will give her a half portion tonight and then leave out her crunchies so she can snack if she is still hungry. She likes it so much she pigs out. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Poor Secret. I hope her tummy is back to normal. It seems beef can be too rich sometimes. B&E never have any problems w/food. They have pretty hearty tummies but I know other dogs that have issues w/beef...I think it can be too heavy for some dogs. With Dr. H I'll use ground/grass fed beef...I wonder if that would be a lighter alternative than sirloin?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts