Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the many post on grooming, I am uneasy having someone else continue to do it. So far no problems, but never know how they treat them behind your back.

Think I can groom Puddles myself ? He does great getting a bath, stands real still. He does not like a blow dryer at all, cause our groomer uses the big one while they are in a cage ( I think).

I don't even know what I need to start off with?

Clippers with different combs? What size blade?
Thinning shears?
Little scissors?

I don't want to spend a lot on this, due to the fact I may not be able to handle him myself. Maybe a few things to start with.

Ya'll that do you own grooming, give me some ideals, please.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I like Andis corded clippers (AG or AGC). Expect to pay about $100 for a good pair of clippers. Moser Arcos by Wahl are a nice cordless clipper if you only have 1 dog to do. If you haven't used clippers before, I highly recommend you have a lesson with a groomer or breeder who knows what they are doing. You can cut your dog. If you use snap on combs get a 30 or 40 blade for under. Otherwise buy the size blade you want. I usually buy 2 so one can get hot and I can switch. I use a 10 blade for sanitary trims.

You'll need straight shears and/or curved shears. Depending on what type of cut you do thinning shears can be used to blend the coat. I also have a tiny pair of scissors for face and other little things.

I also use the pocket trimmer or tiny Conair trimmer for paw pads and face if you clip in the corner of the eyes.

That puts you at about $200. You can make or buy a grooming table and if you do continue to groom him you may want to invest in a Super Duck dryer or even a stand dryer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 4 2005, 09:53 PM
I like Andis corded clippers (AG or AGC). Expect to pay about $100 for a good pair of clippers. Moser Arcos by Wahl are a nice cordless clipper if you only have 1 dog to do. If you haven't used clippers before, I highly recommend you have a lesson with a groomer or breeder who knows what they are doing. You can cut your dog. If you use snap on combs get a 30 or 40 blade for under. Otherwise buy the size blade you want. I usually buy 2 so one can get hot and I can switch. I use a 10 blade for sanitary trims.

You'll need straight shears and/or curved shears. Depending on what type of cut you do thinning shears can be used to blend the coat. I also have a tiny pair of scissors for face and other little things.

I also use the pocket trimmer or tiny Conair trimmer for paw pads and face if you clip in the corner of the eyes.

That puts you at about $200. You can make or buy a grooming table and if you do continue to groom him you may want to invest in a Super Duck dryer or even a stand dryer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49025
[/QUOTE]

I think the only thing i'm missing now is the Grooming table and Super Duck dryer LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts