Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I love Bare Escentuals Faux Tan. You can buy it on QVC.com or you can call BE's beauty hotline. I think the hotline is a bit less expensive on s&h than QVC. It is a very natural looking tan and it has a nice aroma...kind of like almonds and honey. Clarins also makes a good product. Both BE and Clarins products have an instant bronzer that shows you where the product is going. It makes it somewhat idiot proof. I always wear disposable gloves so not to get any on my palms. Also, before you use any self tanner, make sure you exfoliate your skin well. If you don't, when the tan fades, you'll end up with lizzard skin.

One suggestion on application of self tanners...I usually apply at night. I'll shower, exfoliate and moisturize then apply the self tanner. I then get ready for bed, brush my teeth, floss, etc. By the time I'm done, my tanner is dry so I can wear my jammies. Be prepared to wake up to brown sheets (don't worry it comes out in the wash), and to see brown shower water running down your legs. That's just the bronzer. If the color isn't deep enough, that leaves you time to add a second application. I don't use self tanners on my face or upper body, just on my legs. For some reason, this time of year they are a lot paler than the rest of me!

There is another product that just recently came out...by Jergens. It is a self tanning type of lotion that very gradually and slowly builds color. Some of the ladies on the Delphi BEAddicts forum have been raving about this product. I haven't tried it yet, but I think if you're looking for a natural "glow" instead of a tan this might work. But if you're looking to be tanned, you'd probably be best to use a self tanner.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for a tan. I'm naturally pretty pale and I don't tan very easily. A couple of years ago, I went to the tanning bed for a couple of months. I started at 5 minutes (I burn very easy) and after a month got to 8 minutes. I barely had a tan. I even tried the stand up beds (the ones that you supposedly can't burn in), I managed to get a sunburn.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If you are really pale, then I would suggest that you start with a tanner that has a very light shade. I think the BE and Clarins may be too dark for you. The last thing you want to look like is that you've fake tanned! You might want to try the Jergens product. That supposedly gives you a light glow. Then, once you've built up some color, you can apply a traditional self tanner. Here is the link:
http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?...ewProduct&id=15

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I use these... and they are also from HSN. They work with your natural tan color from your pigments. Its a clear formula though. It doesnt look fake either.

tan towel

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I used Fake Bake. I loved the color but I hate having to apply it every week and leaving it on for 8 hrs before washing it off. Don't know if other self tanners make you do that. I just go to the tanning beds. I probably go about 4 times a year. Every time I go, I have a discussion with the workers about how long I should stay in the beds. I want the full 20 because I do not tan easily. They always want me to go for 7 mins and I'm like, "what's the point?"

When you went tanning, did you use a tanning lotion? That helps you get a better tan and it's better to tan with lotion than without.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Savage Bronze from Sally's is the best tanner I've come across so far. For me, it's dummy proof.
I usually can't do self tanning to save my life, but I get a great, natural looking tan with this stuff. It has a color guide so you can see where you put it. My biggest problem with it is that it stinks to high heaven, it has this weird chocolatey smell that is awful. If you get it, make sure to get the mitt that they sell by it because it makes application so easy. I've also heard raves about the Jergens tanner too. Check out Makeupalley.com , they have tons of reviews on sunless tanners.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Apr 5 2005, 09:43 AM
I used Fake Bake.  I loved the color but I hate having to apply it every week and leaving it on for 8 hrs before washing it off.  Don't know if other self tanners make you do that.  I just go to the tanning beds.  I probably go about 4 times a year.  Every time I go, I have a discussion with the workers about how long I should stay in the beds.  I want the full 20 because I do not tan easily.  They always want me to go for 7 mins and I'm like, "what's the point?"

When you went tanning, did you use a tanning lotion?  That helps you get a better tan and it's better to tan with lotion than without.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49214
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I used a tanning lotion with a bronzer in it. Still nothing. I've had 2 second degree sun burns in my life. I finally decided that I'm not going to get skin cancer just to have a tan. Up to now I've been fine with being pale. But now I'm sick of it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Mystify79@Apr 5 2005, 09:44 AM
Savage Bronze from Sally's is the best tanner I've come across so far.  For me, it's dummy proof. 
    I usually can't do self tanning to save my life, but I get a great, natural looking tan with this stuff.  It has a color guide so you can see where you put it.  My biggest problem with it is that it stinks to high heaven, it has this weird chocolatey smell that is awful.  If you get it,  make sure to get the mitt that they sell by it because it makes application so easy.  I've also heard raves about the Jergens tanner too.  Check out Makeupalley.com , they have tons of reviews on sunless tanners.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49216
[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the one that was on HSN but that one did not have an aftersmell. It came with application gloves.

I'll check out that site.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have actually done the mystic tans-spray on paint booth.....it gave a really even nice tan. I would highly reccommend that if you can find a reputable place in your area that has a nice color mix in their spray. I was really suprised and it lasted about 7-10 days so if you got it done right before you left for San Diego you would have color. I would do at least two sessions before you went. It is good if the place is good. I have not seen good results with the hand painted on bronzer's only the paint booth type. It only takes one minute.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 5 2005, 10:16 AM
If you are really pale, then I would suggest that you start with a tanner that has a very light shade.  I think the BE and Clarins may be too dark for you.  The last thing you want to look like is that you've fake tanned!  You might want to try the Jergens product.  That supposedly gives you a light glow.  Then, once you've built up some color, you can apply a traditional self tanner.  Here is the link:
http://www.jergens.com/products/index.asp?...ewProduct&id=15
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49202
[/QUOTE]

I have used Jergens, I like it.
Gives you that "glow"!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I need to do some fake bakn' before I go to San Diego too! I am so PALE (i mean for a black/puertorican person) I am the same colour as my pale white friend who I am visiting. I went to the BE counter at Sephora (i finally got some BE you guys !
) and I'm thinking I am going to be Tan or Medium Tan, but I was light, the lady put it on me and she said there is no way I could be tan or medium tan. She said if I get a tan I could maybe try medium beige, but to stick with light.

I need to hurry UP and get a tan!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 2happymalts@Apr 5 2005, 10:51 AM
I have actually done the mystic tans-spray on paint booth.....it gave a really even nice tan. I would highly reccommend that if you can find a reputable place in your area that has a nice color mix in their spray. I was really suprised and it lasted about 7-10 days so if you got it done right before you left for San Diego you would have color. I would do at least two sessions before you went. It is good if the place is good. I have not seen good results with the hand painted on bronzer's only the paint booth type. It only takes one minute.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49254
[/QUOTE]

I tried that in Dubuque when it first came out. My arms and legs were great but my hands and feet looked terrible. I guess I didn't do a good job wiping myself down afterwards. I also had this drip mark on the back of my leg (missed that too).

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Well the tan towels are kinda the same solution as the spray tan thing (the one without color). Maybe if you check out HSN's schedule of air time shows they will be having a demonstration on them. Thats what got me hooked. Its worth watching. The self tanners that have color most of the time look fake especially on someone that is so fair as yourself.

I have also used this one air spray system from HSN Jet Tan It is a colored (bonzer) type of solution and you air spray it on to get a more natural look. It looks great but its so messy. Thats the only part of it I didnt like. I do have to admit this product does NOT turn orange at all. ITS DARK BROWN! HAHA... I dont really recommend this for someone fair because you will be black with one application and it will look stupid. haha.. but heck.. watch for that demonstration on HSN too... since its now spring.. i would keep watching and looking at different self tanners that HSN are going to be offering. I remember last year they had a lot of different products and you never know if your gonna like it until you see the demonstration. Just little advice.

ohh.. and i have read a lot of those reviews when i was looking around for a self tanner and i wasnt impressed. The colorless solutions seem to be the most natural look not bonzers.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm scared to do any of them now. I'm afraid it will look stupid. AHHH!!! I hate my pale skin. Why couldn't I inherit my dad's skin. He tans so easily!

·
Registered
323 Posts
The biggest thing with the mystic tans is that on your hands and feet you need to really slather on the blocker they give you, like not rub it in but slather it on like thick in between you toes and on hands anyplace that is dry, and if you have a "good" friend have them go with they can help wipe down drips afterwards, it works better as a team but they better be a good friend as they will see you naked :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: . Besides my husband I only have one friend that is that good of a friend and we wiped each other down so the tans were great and very even. I have also used Estee Lauder's self tanners and they work well...now I am just using the beds and the above mentioned friend said I look like I am tanorexic---
I tan really fast and really dark, I got my mom's dark german skin...yeah. Hope you find something that works. You have a bit of time to test things before San Diego so go for it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Mary Kay has a great self tanner. I also buy their body scrub wash (forget the exact name), use it in the shower and then apply tanner. It's not dark because I'm pale and it works fine on me. I usually apply it twice a week though. It won't give you a baywatch look but at least no scary white legs!! LOL Does have a certain odor, not bad but strange.
Not sure how safe any of them are - was told by my ob when I was pregnant to definately not use them as they are absorbed their your body! But then again, What is safe?!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts