Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i've talked about this issue before on here... but I was just wondering about a few things.

As some of you know... Kodie has serious separation anixety issues. I seem to think it stems down from the 8 months of going to different hospitals for all these tests for his liver... but what do I know... i'm not a vet.

Kodie is fine when i'm holding him or sitting with him. If I hand him to someone else to hold him... and i walk away... he goes CRAZY! If hes on a couch (he cant get off cause hes so small) and I walk out of the room... forget it! Hes all nervous and staring at the doorway.. sometimes he will bark (like hes callin me back). He has a big issue with me not being right with him. If someone else is holding him (even though he likes the person) he isnt calm at all... he wiggles and tries to get back to me. The thing is... if i'm sitting down in the same room instead of standing... he wont be as nervous with someone else holding him. I guess he figures I'm not going to be leaving the room because i'm sitting down.

*Do you think everything he went through traumatized him and he looks for me for safety?

*What do you think will help this problem?
We do not have any doggie day cares around this area.. so that will be a no. I do once in awhile take him to the breeders house where i got him so he can be around other little dogs but other than that.. I do not know anyone with a little dog.

*Do you think another puppy will help him?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I can't really help you with this issue. I would recommend talking to your vet and a trainer. A trainer might be able to help you with these issues. Hopefully someone on here has some suggestions.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My first Maltese developed bad separation anxiety once he got sick and seemed to get very dependent on me. He had always been a very independent, happy Maltese before then. He was much older, though, (7 1/2 years when it started) and nothing I tried helped much. It got worse as he aged, but I think that was due to diminishing eyesight, and that he became so much sicker. I put him in doggie daycare, usually about twice a week when he was feeling well enough, and it was the only place that he looked forward to and didn't miss me at all. It brought me so much joy to see him bark excitedly, wriggle in my arms and run off to play with all of the doggies. So, I would keep trying to take Kodie to other dogs houses for playtime. I did think about adopting another dog to help Oliver not be so alone, but it made things worse. I had a little foster dog that my vet suggested we bring home, didn't go over well at all! We had little Spencer for 3 months before he became permanently adopted and Oliver HATED him, withdrew from me, and seemed very depressed. Don't know if this very long story of mine will help any, it is just my experience. I know that Jackie has lots of experience with dogs and training, hopefully she will give you some answers.
Quincymom

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm not an expert but I think Kodie might have a hard time if you get another dog. It seems like he's very attached to you and it might make him feel like he has to compete for your attention, so it could possibly make his separation anxiety worse. Not knowing Kodie or what his personality is like, I can't really tell. This is just my opinion, ignore it if it sounds dumb
. If you do want another dog, tell the breeders about kodie's personality, and I'm sure they will try to match his personality with a compatable dog.

A while back when our house was being remodeled, we moved into a relative's house and Peanut developed the worst separation anxiety. It really helped Peanut get over it when I would leave for a few minutes at a time. I usually took him for a walk to get coffee in the morning, and instead, I left him home alone for like 5 minutes. He eventually started to see that things were okay even though I was gone. He used to not pee, poo, eat or drink if I left the house. But after working at it and increasing the time I left him alone, he's okay with it. He goes on normally with out me now.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 8 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm not an expert but I think Kodie might have a hard time if you get another dog.  It seems like he's very attached to you and it might make him feel like he has to compete for your attention, so it could possibly make his separation anxiety worse.  Not knowing Kodie or what his personality is like, I can't really tell.  This is just my opinion, ignore it if it sounds dumb
.  If you do want another dog, tell the breeders about kodie's personality, and I'm sure they will try to match his personality with a compatable dog.

A while back when our house was being remodeled, we moved into a relative's house and Peanut developed the worst separation anxiety.  It really helped Peanut get over it when I would leave for a few minutes at a time.  I usually took him for a walk to get coffee in the morning, and instead, I left him home alone for like 5 minutes.  He eventually started to see that things were okay even though I was gone.  He used to not pee, poo, eat or drink if I left the house.  But after working at it and increasing the time I left him alone, he's okay with it.  He goes on normally with out me now.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41208
[/QUOTE]
Well... kodie is home alone all day while i am at work... hes fine.. he sleeps.. eats alittle... and poos while i'm gone!

Its the weirdest separation anxiety I have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Mar 8 2005, 05:33 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41227
[/QUOTE]
Awww, he just loves him mommy!!!!

Hey, I just thought of this, since you are friendly with the breeder you got Kodie from and you still visit, how about asking the breeder if you could 'borrow' one of her dogs to see how Kodie would react to the other malt being in your house? Kind of have a trial run before commiting to another dog on a weekend or some time you have the whole day to spend with the doggies. I don't know if you have a close enough relationship with the breeder for her to agree to that, but she might go for it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Mar 8 2005, 06:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Mar 8 2005, 05:33 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41227
Awww, he just loves him mommy!!!!

Hey, I just thought of this, since you are friendly with the breeder you got Kodie from and you still visit, how about asking the breeder if you could 'borrow' one of her dogs to see how Kodie would react to the other malt being in your house? Kind of have a trial run before commiting to another dog on a weekend or some time you have the whole day to spend with the doggies. I don't know if you have a close enough relationship with the breeder for her to agree to that, but she might go for it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41240
[/B][/QUOTE]

That might be a good idea. Maybe a playmate would help him cut the apron strings...he he...

I was reading the things that Kodie does...and was thinking that Brinkley is not far from that...and I am sure that there are many the same way. He likes to be in the same room with me...and sits at the gate with his nose through the bars if he can't come down the hall with me...he can be in the "deepest" sleep, and if I get up to go to another room...he follows me. On the weekends, when we are home...it is almost sad by the evening. He has followed me around from room to room all day and by supper he is all tuckered out. He can hardly hold his head up.
I don't think his endearment to me is to the point of unhealthy though...it is one of the things that I like about the breed. He sleeps and carries on as normal when we are gone...I don't know...I am SUCH a rambler...did I even MAKE a point?!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Wanting to be with Mom when she's home is a lot different from separation anxiety when he is alone.

Start by having your friends feed him treats while you stand around and ignore Kodie. Then step in and out of the doorway while they feed him treats. Again, I don't mean in one session you will get to this. You may have to start out just squatting or standing by the couch and over many, many sessions walk around the room and eventually get the door.

My dogs would follow me out of the room, but wouldn't panic about being in the room with other people. Getting him comfortable with other people and realizing what good fun that is should help him relax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts