Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i've talked about this issue before on here... but I was just wondering about a few things.

As some of you know... Kodie has serious separation anixety issues. I seem to think it stems down from the 8 months of going to different hospitals for all these tests for his liver... but what do I know... i'm not a vet.

Kodie is fine when i'm holding him or sitting with him. If I hand him to someone else to hold him... and i walk away... he goes CRAZY! If hes on a couch (he cant get off cause hes so small) and I walk out of the room... forget it! Hes all nervous and staring at the doorway.. sometimes he will bark (like hes callin me back). He has a big issue with me not being right with him. If someone else is holding him (even though he likes the person) he isnt calm at all... he wiggles and tries to get back to me. The thing is... if i'm sitting down in the same room instead of standing... he wont be as nervous with someone else holding him. I guess he figures I'm not going to be leaving the room because i'm sitting down.

*Do you think everything he went through traumatized him and he looks for me for safety?

*What do you think will help this problem?
We do not have any doggie day cares around this area.. so that will be a no. I do once in awhile take him to the breeders house where i got him so he can be around other little dogs but other than that.. I do not know anyone with a little dog.

*Do you think another puppy will help him?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 8 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm not an expert but I think Kodie might have a hard time if you get another dog.  It seems like he's very attached to you and it might make him feel like he has to compete for your attention, so it could possibly make his separation anxiety worse.  Not knowing Kodie or what his personality is like, I can't really tell.  This is just my opinion, ignore it if it sounds dumb
.  If you do want another dog, tell the breeders about kodie's personality, and I'm sure they will try to match his personality with a compatable dog.

A while back when our house was being remodeled, we moved into a relative's house and Peanut developed the worst separation anxiety.  It really helped Peanut get over it when I would leave for a few minutes at a time.  I usually took him for a walk to get coffee in the morning, and instead, I left him home alone for like 5 minutes.  He eventually started to see that things were okay even though I was gone.  He used to not pee, poo, eat or drink if I left the house.  But after working at it and increasing the time I left him alone, he's okay with it.  He goes on normally with out me now.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41208
[/QUOTE]
Well... kodie is home alone all day while i am at work... hes fine.. he sleeps.. eats alittle... and poos while i'm gone!

Its the weirdest separation anxiety I have ever seen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.