Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My 9 month old baby has separation anxiety (also a bad case of FOMO). I am trying my best to deal with it while he is still young. I am a single guy who lives on his own, so I need to get my little guy to be ok with being alone for even a little bit so I can recover some sense of freedom and normalcy in my life (he currently accompanies me everywhere i go)

For those of you whose little one suffered from the same thing, what worked for you and what do you recommend? I've been working with a "Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer" for a month and a half now, and progress has been very slow. She recommends meds for my puppy (prozac I think) to help speed up the process a bit, but not sure how I feel about giving that to my puppy. A friend of mine has recommended CBD oil instead, and another friend has recommended booking an appointment with a behaviorist veterinarian and seeing what they suggest (i heard they are very pricey). Suffice to say, I am bit overwhelmed with all the options and am not sure what's best. Any advice you guys can recommend or suggest will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

· Administrator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,279 Posts
That is always a hard one. Some have found adaptil helpful, it is a plug in fragrance, other thunder shirts or a snug sweater. I would be reluctant to use medication if you can avoid it.

Finding something to occupy the time can be helpful. There are remote treat dispensers and toys like puzzle boards. Some people play music or keep the TV on. You could even try a recording of your voice on a loop.

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,335 Posts
Can you have someone come in & play w/your guy for 1/2 hr. morn & aft? It could get him over the long day alone. Personally I have mostly had 2 at a time which really helps w/that issue. I too would be wary of using Prozac. How about doggy day care?

· Premium Member
72 Posts
Hi everyone!

My 9 month old baby has separation anxiety (also a bad case of FOMO). I am trying my best to deal with it while he is still young. I am a single guy who lives on his own, so I need to get my little guy to be ok with being alone for even a little bit so I can recover some sense of freedom and normalcy in my life (he currently accompanies me everywhere i go)

For those of you whose little one suffered from the same thing, what worked for you and what do you recommend? I've been working with a "Certified Separation Anxiety Trainer" for a month and a half now, and progress has been very slow. She recommends meds for my puppy (prozac I think) to help speed up the process a bit, but not sure how I feel about giving that to my puppy. A friend of mine has recommended CBD oil instead, and another friend has recommended booking an appointment with a behaviorist veterinarian and seeing what they suggest (i heard they are very pricey). Suffice to say, I am bit overwhelmed with all the options and am not sure what's best. Any advice you guys can recommend or suggest will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
Hi everyone!

I have 2 dogs and they keep company to each other and I also leave music on when I am away.
As mentioned by Sandi, I have someone who comes when I leave for a long period of time.
Hi everyone!

I was just going to post and ask if anyone uses the thunder vest/shirt because I am having the same problem with my soon to be 4 year old Zoey. Before the pnademic I left her crated for 7 hours without any problems. During the pandemic I never left her alone since my city was on lockdown. I am now trying to get out a littlw without her but she suffers so much with separation anxiety it makes me not want to do anything, since I feel so bad. I have been crating her these past few days, I leave on music, and I also use a white noise machine but I know it is still so stressful for her. My sister mentioned the thunder vest, she uses it for her ginormous boxer mix. I am going to try it. I am also going to try and put her in doggie day care for a few hours. I filled out the application but for some reason I think she is not going to be accepted lol. Oh well. Please if anyone has actually used the thunder vest/shirt can you let me know? Thank you.☮

· Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,114 Posts
The thing about separation anxiety is that they are fearful, afraid you won’t return. Until the dog can trust you will be come back home, no supplement will help, imo. Our trainer had me leave for 1 minute and return, the next day was 2 min etc. He promised that in 30 days, 30 min, this will be behind us and he was right.
My girl went front chewing herself bloody to being completely comfortable with my leaving. That was 9 years ago and I’ve never had an issue since. I know you have a trainer but maybe their method of training is just not the right strategy for your fluff. i definitely wldnt put my dog on prozac when it’s jyst a matter of training for most fluffs.
Wishing you the best of luck. It’s definitely a very stressful time.

· Registered
3 Posts
The thing about separation anxiety is that they are fearful, afraid you won’t return. Until the dog can trust you will be come back home, no supplement will help, imo. Our trainer had me leave for 1 minute and return, the next day was 2 min etc. He promised that in 30 days, 30 min, this will be behind us and he was right.
My girl went front chewing herself bloody to being completely comfortable with my leaving. That was 9 years ago and I’ve never had an issue since. I know you have a trainer but maybe their method of training is just not the right strategy for your fluff. i definitely wldnt put my dog on prozac when it’s jyst a matter of training for most fluffs.
Wishing you the best of luck. It’s definitely a very stressful time.
Hi Maddysmom, it has been a while since you posted this comment. But I am currently dealing with separation anxiety with our 4 months old Maltese puppy. Could you please provide a bit more details on your protocol. Was there anything you did to let your dog know you are about to leave? Did you leave her with a special snack or toy to keep her busy? Did you choose a time of day when she was calm (i.e. laying down / napping) or a time where she was completely awake and alert?
I have tried giving him a special snack (licky mat with soft food which he loves and does not get other times) so that keeps him busy for a few minutes. He even ignores the noise of the door closing. But after a few minutes, he will stop licking and start whining. And it escalates rapidly into panting, despair and panic. With the "one minute a day" approach, would you start counting the minutes from when he notices I am out or when he is busy licking his mat?
Thanks,

Helene

1 - 8 of 8 Posts