Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I found out Lexi's best friend is moving I've thought of getting another dog. At first it wasn't very serious but after my brother cancelled his wedding (I know sounds bad) I got a little more serious (don't have to spend money on brides maid dress). Over the weekend I thought about it some more and got a lot more serious about it. Well I was talking to my mom last night about my taxes (she's doing them for me). She isn't done yet but so far I'm getting back $863 from federal. Hmm? I think I might start calling breeders.

Can anyone recommend a good breeder in the midwest? I don't have enough money to spend more than $1,000 (dang that'a a lot).

There are 2 IA breeders on the American Maltese Association website:
Cuttell, Barbara
Bar-Tell Maltese
4065 200th Avenue
Spencer, IA 51301-7530

Sweet, Joy
622 N. First Street
Cherokee, IA 51012

There are also some in Illinois:
Bingham-Porter, Sandy
Seabreeze Maltese
Charleston, IL

Filson, Cheryl
Cher-Chien Maltese
206 S. Fordham
Aurora, IL 60506

Hauptman, Tammy
Tamar's Maltese
14892 Waterman Road
DeKalb, IL 60115

Martin, Daryl
Highland Park, IL

And 1 in Nebraska:
Dillon, Lucille M.
Cherubwim's Maltese
316 S. Chestnut Street
Kimball, NE 69145

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had heard the name Tammy Hauptman so I went to her site http://www.jvlnet.com/~thauptman/

To her credit, she has collaborated with Tonia from Rhapsody and has some gorgeous champion malts. However, she needs to update her "Recommended Breeders" link though as she still has Hollybelles on there!

She also breeds Yorkies.

I'd call her for sure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Without getting into any details...I would probably strike Daryl Martin in IL from your list. Believe me....you will be better off...if you want a further explanation PM me. You may want to try Cheryl Filson....she had 2 dogs in the show this past weekend and they were absolutely spectacular. I have also heard some really good thing about Tammy Hauptman. Keep us posted how it goes!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I'm trying to put together a list of breeders to call. So any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, also any help with questions to ask the breeders would be great.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 28 2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the help!  I'm trying to put together a list of breeders to call.  So any help is greatly appreciated.  Oh, also any help with questions to ask the breeders would be great.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38480
[/QUOTE]

I believe JMM posted something about what to ask breeders..... I'll try to find it...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Wish I could help,but my breeder as since retired.Good luck finding your new fluffbutt.I do believe the fluffbutt fever has gotton alot of us on SM!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I did find Jackie's (JMM) post regarding questions to ask breeders.. here it is:

"Important things to ask the breeder:

1. Do they show their dogs? Can they tell you about the dogs in the pedigrees, their show records, their structural strengths and weaknesses?

2. Do they know of a history of liver shunt or MVD in the lines? Epilepsy? Luxating patellas?

3. Do they require spay/neuter?

4. Do they insist the pup remain with them until 12 weeks of age?

5. Do they require if you can ever not keep the dog that it must be returned to them?

6. What type of situation was the pup raised in?

If they are on the USDA list, then they probably are not a reputable, responsible breeder but instead a large-scale breeding for profit operation.

A relationship with your pup's breeder should last a lifetime. The breeder should welcome you to call them if you at any time have a question. They should want to hear how the puppy is doing. Really, what you get when you go to a reputable breeder is someone who is always there when you have a question or concern, a mentor in pet ownership. It is definately worth it to find a reputable, responsible breeder to have that relationship. "

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Feb 28 2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, KC's Mom!

I just checked the USDA list and none of the breeders I posted are on the list.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38491
[/QUOTE]
That's good! If they are members of AMA they shouldn't be on the list. To be an AMA member they are not supposed to sell to re-sellers. Here is the Code of Ethics...http://www.americanmaltese.org/

Code of Ethics - American Maltese Association

1. As a member of the American Maltese Association, I will breed to the ideals of the Maltese standard and will act in accordance to the objectives and purposes of the AMA. I will abide by and uphold the principles of the Club's Constitution and this code of Ethics.

2. I will keep alert for and endeavor to control or eradicate inherited problems that are particular to my breed. I will strive to screen my breeding stock for hereditary problems.

3. If any of my Maltese need to be euthanized, it will be done in a most humane manner by a veterinarian. It will not be done at a dog pound, humane society, or experimental lab, nor will they be left alive at any of these places.

4. I will provide adequate diet and exercise, and veterinary care and supervision during gestation, whelping and lactation.

5. I will not knowingly deal with dog wholesalers, retailers, or unethical dog breeders, not supply dogs for raffles, "give away" prizes, or other such projects.

6. I will keep accurate breeding and stud records as required by AKC.

7. My puppies will receive quality health care and nutrition. They will be handled regularly, properly socialized, and accustomed to human contact.

8. I will not sell a puppy before it has been given a veterinarian health examination and has received at least one inoculation against distemper, hepatitis and parvo. A puppy will remain in my possession until at least 12 weeks of age.

9. I will provide pet buyers with written details on feeding, general care and nutrition and a health record with data on veterinary attention.

10. I will provide limited registration on puppies sold as pets or have signed spay-neuter agreements.

11. I will not speak with dishonor of another member or seek to impair the reputation of another breeder. I will be courteous and helpful to people who contact me regarding dog information.

12. While staying in a hotel/motel during specialty shows and all-breed shows, I will obey the rules, regulations and policies pertaining to dogs. Upon proof of violations, I assume the risk of suspension from the AMA with a letter of grievance filed with the AKC recommending disciplinary action.

13. I understand that failure to comply with this Code of Ethics will subject me to possible suspension or expulsion from the AMA.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Just a question....maybe an ignorant one...

Lexi'smom said she can't spend over 1000.00 on a new pup...some of these that you have mentioned have show dogs etc....
My question is...

Is it possible to find a "QUALITY" breeder with show quality like dogs for less than that? Especially females?

Next question...why are females still more expensive from the reputable breeders that won't sell them to you without a spay/neuter contract anyway?

Like I said, maybe ignorant questions..but I don't mind letting people know that I am often "uninfomed"... :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Feb 28 2005, 01:43 PM

Lexi'smom said she can't spend over 1000.00 on a new pup...some of these that you have mentioned have show dogs etc....
My question is...

Is it possible to find a "QUALITY" breeder with show quality like dogs for less than that? Especially females?

Next question...why are females still more expensive from the reputable breeders that won't sell them to you without a spay/neuter contract anyway?

Like I said, maybe ignorant questions..but I don't mind letting people know that I am often "uninfomed"... :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38505
[/QUOTE]

I think she might be able to get one for $1,200-$1,500... but it would be a male. Females from the top breeders are $2,000-3,000 and more. Rhapsody's males are from $1,500-2,500. She has one now on her site for $2,000. But she's a top tier breeder. There are probably less famous ones that are less.

Can't help you with your other question... Back when I was on MO Larry Stanberry of Divine gave a wonderful explanation of why females cost more than males. If you can get on MO you might want to do a search.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 28 2005, 01:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Feb 28 2005, 01:43 PM

My question is...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38505
I think she might be able to get one for $1,200-$1,500... but it would be a male. Females from the top breeders are $2,000-3,000 and more.

Can't help you with your other question... Back when I was on MO Larry Stanberry of Divine gave a wonderful explanation of why females cost more than males. If you can get on MO you might want to do a search.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38512
[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought they were more expensive b/c they could have the babies..and then of course demand is probably higher for them...but I don't know that for sure.
I don't get on MO anymore...I will just see if someone here knows the answer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the breeders in IA (Barbara Cuttell from Bar-Tell Maltese) had a maltese win something at the 1999 national Maltese speciality show. It was a Reserved Winners Dog. I know nothing about dog shows so I don't know what that means. The dogs name is Bar-Tell With Reasonable Doubt. It is owned by Barbara and Tammy Simon.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Feb 28 2005, 03:20 PM
Traci, if I remember correctly, someone explained why females are more expensive and if all boiled down to supply and demand.  Since most litters usually have one female and most people want the female, well you get the picture.

In my opinion, reputable breeders require that you have your pup spayed/neutered, so once the procedure is done there really is no difference.   That's why I can't see spending more money on a female.  I can tell you that Toby is just as affectionate, if not more than a female.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38540
[/QUOTE]

I agree about males... I don't know why people spend the extra $ for a female. A neutered male is an awesome companion... Catcher is so affectionate ... a lot more affectionate than Kallie, who is more of a tomboy than he is.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oooh!! Lexi's mom, I wish we lived closer so we could do this search together!!!! I have no knowledge of the breeders in your area, but I wish you and Lexi the best of luck in finding a little fluffer!!!! :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck on your search, littlepeanut!

It sounds like I'm going to have a 3 1/2 hr - 8hr drive to the breeders. I'm going to start calling this week. I'm hoping one of the breeders in Iowa will work out. If not maybe one of the breeders by Chicago. I really don't want to drive all the way to southern IL or western NE.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Question for all those people with more than 1 dog who use crates: Do you have seperate crates or do you have 1 large crate? I already have a MidWest 24" D x 21" H x 18" W crate. I was thinking of getting a 2nd one. But was wondering if instead I should get a larger crate with a divider. I don't know. Got plenty of time but I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts