Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some information on shaking and seizures. It's for a friend with a shiz tzu. The poor baby is 11 years old. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
My Teddy (3 yrs.) and my Ben (4 yrs.) both have seizures. Ben is my rescue, and he had his first seizure (with us) the day we brought him home from the shelter. We've had him for 2 years now and he was just diagnosed with epilepsy. We don't really know why Ted has seizures, but he's had them since he was a puppy. The vet said that if the seizures get more frequent or become longer in duration or more severe, she'll put them on meds, but for now we just live with them. I know you mentioned shaking in your post, also, but I don't know what type of shaking you mean. Teddy shakes like a leaf whenever he gets scared or upset, which unfortunately for him, is pretty often, but that's about it. I'm sure there are others who know more about this topic than I do, and hopefully they'll help you out. I hope that your friend's baby is okay!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started with the shaking. First they thought she is cold and put a coat on her. But then it was followed by seizures. She went to the vet this morning and they did some tests. The results will be back tomorrow. In the meantime they put the dog on antibiotic and anti-seizure medicine. They told her that in view of the age of the dog and coming up with that she is very sick. My friend said "She sits and looks at me non stop like I am supposed to know what to do".
Gosh your dogs are still young and already have seizures. I hope it does not get worse.
My daughter's shi tzu had to be put down at 12 because she had multiple seizures. They thought she had a tumor in her brain.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Shaking can often be a sign of pain. I'm sure once they get the tests back she will have a much better idea what is going on. I hope simple meds will fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
It started with the shaking. First they thought she is cold and put a coat on her. But then it was followed by seizures. She went to the vet this morning and they did some tests. The results will be back tomorrow. In the meantime they put the dog on antibiotic and anti-seizure medicine. They told her that in view of the age of the dog and coming up with that she is very sick. My friend said "She sits and looks at me non stop like I am supposed to know what to do".
Gosh your dogs are still young and already have seizures. I hope it does not get worse.
My daughter's shi tzu had to be put down at 12 because she had multiple seizures. They thought she had a tumor in her brain.
I hope that the test results point to an easy fix. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Unfortunately, brain tumors are the #1 cause of seizures in dogs over ten. Metabolic imbalances can also cause seizures. Did they do a thyroid panel?

POSSIBLE CAUSES OF SEIZURES BY AGE

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Marj for the link. I don't know what tests they did. I am asking her about the thyroid panel. I suppose that if they did a complete blood panel this is included. Will know more when she gets the results.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Thanks Marj for the link. I don't know what tests they did. I am asking her about the thyroid panel. I suppose that if they did a complete blood panel this is included. Will know more when she gets the results.
A thyroid panel is not part of a CBC. It has to be done separately. It has to be sent to an outside lab for the most accurate results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts