Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my babies groomed at the mobile day spa. They look sooooo cute in a shaggy puppy cut. The groomer did something I thought was strange. She shaved the area between the eyes and on the bridge of the nose (between and under eyes). My oldest has a bit of a staining issue, and I have to wash his face every night. This however seems to be preventing any staining (no white hair to stain). Anyone try this or heard of it?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, i sorta dont like how they shave the top of the nose. i get baby scissors (small scissors with rounded edge) and cut really close to the eye. but thats it. they still get a little staining. i'll try to get a close up pic today.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My groomer shaves Pico there, also. He's been staining real badly this past month. I'm suspecting our beach trip-wind,sand,sun, stress-may have contributed. The shaving removes the stained hair but he still stains around his mouth and down the side of his nose bridge.

No trips this month, let's see if the staining slows down.

·
Registered
831 Posts
This last Wed I took Maya to get groomed and the groomer cut very short (not shaved) the area between the eyes and the nose. It looks like it has help Maya a little bit with her stainning. I too have to clean her face every night.

J

·
0 Posts
My groomer also does this to Lacey. It keeps the hair out of her eyes. She hasn't had a problem with any tearstaining, so I don't know if this helps or not. I only recently started having her groomed so before this the hair around her eyes and the bridge of her nose was long. I think she looks cute with the shorter hair, I can see her little eyes now.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i shave parker b/w the eyes b/c of his staining. right now ive been washing his face everyday so i dont have to shave it off. i also noticed he had hair growing on the inside of his eye lids and my vet and i zapped them out with some light anesthesia twice and were able to remove most of them and this has helped. when i start my opthamology class in vet school i will see if there is a better way to remove all of them. anyways he is a link to a close up shot of parker shaved there. it is large so dont click it if you are on dialupeyes

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Gosh, Parker and Pico could be brothers! Pico has a 1/2 pink nose just like Parker and the same size and spacing in his other points. But Parker is much more the ham, judging by his photos. And Parker seems to have silkier fur.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah parker doesnt get much sun to keep it black, and he is very much of a ham...friends pick on me b/c he is such a froo froo dog

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
oh man! i forgot to bring my camera. i took a bunch of close up pics of sprites face. she has a little bit of tear stains...but nothing major. i'll definitely bring the camera tomorrow!! (i go to work for internet access, and i left my camera at home)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
OK, check out sprites dogster page

http://dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=38287&j=t

the last two pics are from july 3, 2004. so they're recent. and that one with all the tear stains was from september, 2002.

i cut really close to her eyes, and you can see that now she's not getting any tearing. and you can see that the older hair (hair furthest from her eyes) are still stained. my mom wipes their eyes with a washcloth every few days and we clean their water bowl (ceramic) a couple times a day. and they only drink bottled water (crystal geyser). and they're on homecooked foods...so they dont eat perservatives or chemicals anymore (like in dog food).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wow that is a big improvement. What do you think made the biggest difference?

Tiki seems to get more tearing when my allergies are bothering me. I used to try to remove the staining, but now I just don't worry about it much; it isn't that bad and .... he still looks cute to me.

I have to say those pictures of Sprite sure could be pictures of Tiki... they have the same type nose and eyes. I love the one of her in your hands laying on her back, I do this with Tiki also
She looks very sweet

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think the difference came with the homecooked foods. but im still not 100% sure. i wanna see more pics of tiki. you should open a dogster page.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
like wherever i look on the internet or books---they say that the water is really important. that you shouldn't put it in plastic bowls (something about how the bowl doesnt get 100% clean) like they said that stainless steel bowls are the best.....but i use ceramic because it looks cute. lol. but definitely bottled water is best for your dog. i heard tap water can have minerals and stuff that might cause the tearing. and tap water causes kidney stones to cats---so that sorta freaks me out. i dont have a cat...but i wonder what it does to dogs. my dogs mainly drink crystal geyser...but sometimes drink arrowhead. elllie is disgusted by dasani (i dont know why....she didnt want to drink it and she was thirsty). but i really think that if you are serving tap water that you should change. i dont drink tap water and i dont give the dogs stuff i wouldnt have.

but i've heard some people drink tap water---thats sorta weird to me. one time i went to big bear (ski resort area) and the water coming out the sink was all cloudy....it was soo disgusting. and all my friends were drinking it. :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts