Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been really busy and haven't groomed Alice in quite awhile... MATS! And tear stains.... :smilie_tischkante:

I have sweaters and a coat for Alice, but would shaving her be too cold for the winter? Right now the weather is in the 20s (F) :unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Michelle has talked about something called "cowboy magic" which might help w/the mats. I haven't tried it so maybe she could comment?
I know IL. gets really cold in winter so I would try to get the mats out IF it isn't too hard from Alice Ana---otherwise you may have to go w/the shave---does she use pads inside? That would also help! I would keep her warm---she is still a puppy!
hugs

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
As long as you keep clothing on her she should be okay. I'm sorry you have to shave her. Hugs to little
Alica Ana.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Does she potty indoors? I agree with brit -keep some warm clothes on her! Sometimes you have to do what you have to do (been there, done that)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think if she wears clothes u can cut down ...i know what u mean about matts and tearstains.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How short are you thinking you'll have to shave her? Anything shorter than 1/2" I would make sure to keep a coat or sweater on her when she goes outside, unless it's only for a minute or two.

I groom my two on my own and keep their bodies at 1/2" length. They go potty outside without a coat or sweater on and are fine for the few minutes they are out there. If it is really cold (10 degrees or less), I will put something on them even to potty. In 20+ degree weather they don't really mind the cold, and they love playing in the snow.

I also wanted to add to make sure you're bathing her weekly and using a good conditioner. In this winter weather it is much easier for mats to form from static & dryness. Even after you shave her, continue to brush her regularly as it grows out so you don't run into the same problem. Even dogs with short hair need to be brushed. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone :) i actually just got done cutting them all out. :/ who knows if she'll look okay dry or not haha! i just wanted them out so i can start taking care of her coat again :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I keep Cosy's body cut (almost shaved) in the winter and she doesn't get cold. OK, I live in Texas but we do have some very cold weather at times. Honestly! Lots of dogs don't have long or thick hair. If you have to finish off with shaving never fear...nothing grows faster than maltese hair!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Shelby, that's what I had to do to Triniti this summer. I went away on vacation and my neighbor was taking care of my dogs. She let him outside in the grass and there was a lot of dew. He was in a long coat and suffice it to say, he was matted to the skin when I got him back. SO I had to shave him to about 1 in everywhere. I cried!!! He's my daughter's show dog, so we haven't been to a show in quite awhile because of it too.

It does grow back...he has about 4-5 inches of length now. Its just a killer waiting!

I am sure Alice Ana is a cutie no matter what she looks like. And they sure make some cute sweaters and coats!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Shelby -- Secret was shaved when I got her at the end of September and her coat is about 4 inches now. Malts' hair grows pretty quickly. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not to worry my dear, it will grow back quickly. Now you'll have a fresh start and you can maintain it.

Ahemm...I think picture's are in orderof little miss Secret! :wub:

Shelby -- Secret was shaved when I got her at the end of September and her coat is about 4 inches now. Malts' hair grows pretty quickly. :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
So very late on this thread
but
Wolfie and Star (his poodle sis) are keeping their longer hair, though it needs shaving until our cold spell is over.
(the sig pic is old.....from a previous trim he is a shaggy dude right now)

They both shiver when shaved even with coats or sweaters on!

Brrrrrrr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts