Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delilah still leaves her presents in the kids room when ever she gets the chance. Drives me nuts! I guess I am going to have no choice but to do the baby gate in the hallway. It's just going to be a huge pain to have to step over this thing and pray that no one forgets its there and runs and trips! I've tried telling her no- even taking her back to the scene of the crime and telling her no- to catching her in the act and telling her no! :smilie_tischkante: I GIVE UP!

As much as I really, really, REALLY want another Malt. I don't think I am up for 2 poopoo butts to clean up after in this small house!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I understand your frustation.... My Bailey girl still has accidents in the bedroom. I dont really call them accidents could be she is just to spoiled. Sometimes I take her out and she just stands there. So I just figure she does not have to go. Well a few minutes she will get to our room and pretend to play with her toys. As I walk in to check on her I step in a wet spot. Yes Bailey has just peed.....ugh ugh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Allie does that to me. I actually took all my rugs up for a while since I have only had her for 3 weeks. I figure I will keep taking her out, and slowly bring one rug back in at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I understand your frustation.... My Bailey girl still has accidents in the bedroom. I dont really call them accidents could be she is just to spoiled. Sometimes I take her out and she just stands there. So I just figure she does not have to go. Well a few minutes she will get to our room and pretend to play with her toys. As I walk in to check on her I step in a wet spot. Yes Bailey has just peed.....ugh ugh
happens here all the time:blink:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwww, try and not get frustrated at her, I know it's hard. After the deed is done, and you taking her back to the scene of the crime :) and telling her No, she doesn't really know what you are saying no about. I would just go back to training, as though she was a pup. We have a baby gate, that prevents them from going up and down the stairs (we do that just for LP issues, we started it with Kara. They do have get to go up and down the stairs, but it's when we are watching them) I would just go back to how you originally trained her, and if you do catch her in the act, you are right, take her right over to the pads. That's what I had to do with Mia, but I don't say anything while I'm taking her back, when she successfully uses the pad, then I praised her right after.

So, give her just a little less freedom in the house, where she can see the pads, and hopefully it will get better from there.

Trust me, I'm no expert, but it did work for me. I wish you luck. Remember after the deed is done, and you didn't catch them in the act, they forget and don't realize what they did wrong.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sometimes Aolani leaves us presents too but not on purpose. I know for a fact that he goes on the pad but if he feels that it is stuck to his bum he runs around like crazy to try to get it off. This is why it ends up in other places. Maybe that's what's happening with Delilah too? i've started to keep Aolani's tail up in a band when he's home for these very purposes.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you don't house train the dog, don't expect it to magically happen. We've had this discussion about the necessity of restricting the dog's access and slowly introducing new space. It is still the same answer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree that it would be good to start from the beginning. It took Haley a while to be house trained (almost a year) and she hasn't had any accidents at my place for 6 months. Start off with the basics of restricting their access, keeping an eye and if there are the typical potty signs, take her immediately to the appropriate potty spot, add a cue word and praise and treat when she's done her business. . good luck!! It is really nice to not worry about having accidents - she'll ring the bell to be let out many times if I don't get there fast enough.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
My Rose was almost 2 years old when I finally got her potty trained:smilie_tischkante: but I trust her 100% in the house and she does not have accidents. My Lily is still not completely house trained and she is 1 and 1/2. She has been doing much better, but I still have the dining room and living room gated.(I have a two story house) I thought Rose was hard to train but Lily is even harder. She will pee on the same potty pad as Rose but not poop. She wants her own pad to poop on. Lily does best when she is in a routine and the slightest change in her routine will trigger her to have an accident. My first Malt was a boy and I found him to be easy to house train. He was 100% trained before he was a year old. I think some are easy and some are difficult. I have a suggestion about your hallway gate. Perhaps you can go on Craigslist or go to a kids' consignment store and find a walk-through gate for not too much money. I use the Nature's Miracle on carpets, floors, and even my laundry. It works well, I think. Hang in there.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Sometimes Aolani leaves us presents too but not on purpose. I know for a fact that he goes on the pad but if he feels that it is stuck to his bum he runs around like crazy to try to get it off. This is why it ends up in other places. Maybe that's what's happening with Delilah too? i've started to keep Aolani's tail up in a band when he's home for these very purposes.
Edith - that's the case with Tyler too. When it happens, he'll usually drop off a little on the pad but then a remnant or two in the very near vicinity and only in our bedroom which is the pad he likes to go on for privacy. :blush:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Still confused. Are "gifts" potty mistakes? If that is what you are talking about, it's not the dog, it's the owner!! No offense. If you let a little dog have the run of the house before housetraining is totally nailed down, you will get "gifted." Restrict access, and frequent trips to the approved potty spot with rewards. No quick answer.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
A friend told me when I got Zoey that if she had accidents in the house to roll up a newspaper and beat myself with it because it was my fault. :blink:
I have all three housebroken and the only time there was an accident here is when I was gone to long or had not taken them out for awhile. Just keep taking her out often with a lot of praise when she goes. You'll have to confine her to a small area until she "gets it". Now I put pads down when I know I'm going to be gone awhile and they're great to use those if they can't wait. It just takes time and patience.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts

Yes, this has happened to both Lucy and Barron - great point - they are both fully house trained - but I have seen them do this outside - I have "unstuck" the poopies (sorry if I grossed anyone out) - I keep their hair trimed short in that area .

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Some are just much more stubborn and take so long to housetrain. Daisy is one of those so I feel your pain. Gracie and Pip fine fine fine...but Daisy likes warm carpet on her footies better than anything else. I just have to keep a close close eye on her...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We have an adjustable screen we use to keep her out of trouble. She really likes shoe laces. It's a window screen, about 24" high, easy to step over. Got it at Ace hardware. She has knocked it over, but it made such a loud noise must have scared her a bit, she won't go near it now.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
jodi will do this too if I let him have access to bedrooms, he is restricted to the kitchen if I am not at home. Accidents sometimes happen if I don't watch closely. When I'm home, I bring him out at 6-6:30am, again around 7:30am....between 5:00-5:30 pm, around 7:30 pm and between 9 -10 pm.
If I'm home for lunch I bring him outside too. I either go out with him or watch him closely so I know that he went before letting him in again. It's frustrating if family lets him out and said he went out and they don't know if he did anything or not...there's not much point in letting him in again.

I feed him at about 6:30 am and 5:30 pm , no food is left down, so I know when he needs to go. It makes things predictable. It's not always exactly this schedule but pretty close.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have started over and over from the begining. We are pretty consistent, its just if she makes it into a bedroom, you are guranteed a tootsie roll! She normally only poops just once a day and that is in the morning right after she eats breakfast.

The sticky ones that sometime land somewhere other than her pad, those are not her fault, I know. So I have been making sure she gets a bum trim once a month and that has helped prevent the flying tootsies. She knows, where to potty, I think it might be she doesn't like to pee and poop in the same spot. Like the otherday, I was putting up laundry in my room and she was out and of course following me. I turned for a brief second and there she was already assuming the position to poop in the same spot she always goes. I hollared at her and she took off and went straight to her pad pooped and then went into her crate. I mean her poops are so small, but still! And if I know I am going to be gone most of the day, I will leave her crate door open and close the bedroom/bathroom doors. ALWAYS a present in the hallway when I return. It's like when she is in those rooms, she feels the need to poop??? Even if its not time for her regularly scheduled poop. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Again, you have not gone back and done the work. Why is your dog out loose if you are not literally watching her the entire time? Why does she have access to large areas when she has not been slowly introduced to them under careful supervision? It takes weeks and weeks to habituate a dog to considering a new area theirs. With toy dogs new areas have to be quite small. For example, say my pup is okay in the family room. When I want to add on, I add a few feet into the kitchen, not my entire kitchen. Then I ideally have 3 weeks of perfect behavior until I add more space. Depending on the reward history of the dog this may move slower or faster. Your dog has a every high reward history for going in the bedrooms/hall due to lack of supervision and too much freedom. This will make it take longer. Whenever a dog urinates or defecates it makes them feel good. It is called a self-rewarding behavior. So you are fighting your number of rewards for the pee pad vs. the number of times she went by herself. Those are tough numbers which take time and consistency to change.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Again, you have not gone back and done the work. Why is your dog out loose if you are not literally watching her the entire time? Why does she have access to large areas when she has not been slowly introduced to them under careful supervision? It takes weeks and weeks to habituate a dog to considering a new area theirs. With toy dogs new areas have to be quite small. For example, say my pup is okay in the family room. When I want to add on, I add a few feet into the kitchen, not my entire kitchen. Then I ideally have 3 weeks of perfect behavior until I add more space. Depending on the reward history of the dog this may move slower or faster. Your dog has a every high reward history for going in the bedrooms/hall due to lack of supervision and too much freedom. This will make it take longer. Whenever a dog urinates or defecates it makes them feel good. It is called a self-rewarding behavior. So you are fighting your number of rewards for the pee pad vs. the number of times she went by herself. Those are tough numbers which take time and consistency to change.
Great post Jackie.

Deliahs Mom, I understand it can be frustrating, although, when I get pups, I expect ooopsies, but it's up to me, to direct them correctly. I do realize Deliah is not so much a pup anymore, but you just start from the beginning as Jackie has pointed out above.

Please try and not get upset at her, hollering at her, honestly will not help, for any sort of training. Just upset them, confuse them and cause anxiety.

Like Jackie said, smaller spaces and it does take time, but she will get it, she will, just follow Jackie's advice.

And in general, I honestly do not think some dogs are more stubborn then others, that's just my opinion, it's just a matter how WE guide them .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts