Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading somewhere that some Maltese pet owners "shell" their furkids to make them look like all their hair is long. My question is how much of the hair is actually cut? I'm guessing the belly is bare and most of the chest is short, but only the very outer portions of hair are left long. Anyone know for sure or had their babies cut like this? Is it really easier to take care of vs. a full coat?

JMM-You had posted a pic of Mikey a while ago and said that his front legs were shaved as well as his chest/belly if I remember right. Is this an example of shelling?

TIA!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I read that in one of the Maltese magazines I bought. It said something like "The look of a full coated Matlese with half the hassle" or something like that. They also used the term "Shelling Out". They compared it to a skirt, or a dust-ruffle. They said it was great for keeping the pee stains away- the males don't lift their leg and pee directly on the coat, and the females don't squat and pee on the coat that falls in the way. And it keeps them cooler in the warmer months. ?

-c

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Carrie@May 12 2005, 02:56 PM
I read that in one of the Maltese magazines I bought.  It said something like "The look of a full coated Matlese with half the hassle" or something like that.  They also used the term "Shelling Out".  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61946
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...that must be where I read that, in the last issue of Maltese magazine! Now where did I put that? Have I mentioned that I'm a lousy housekeeper? Piles on my desk and dining room table and the magazine basket is overflowing...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I wanted this done to my maltese last year. I took her to the groomer for the first time (and last time) and told her I wanted her shelled out. She had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to explain and she said oh, sounds like a pregnancy cut. So all she did was shave the belly. Not exactly what I was thinking. Anyway I do it myself now. I'm not sure if I do it right but I cut the tummy and chest very short and go a little up the waist line a bit too, if the top layer of hair is really long you don't see the short part underneath. I also cut the inside of the legs very short. It keeps her cooler without being totally cut. I prefer the look of her with long hair and I think this way is a happy medium for both of us. It is easier to care for if your dog mats on the tummy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by chloeandj@May 13 2005, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure if I do it right but I cut the tummy and chest very short and go a little up the waist line a bit too, if the top layer of hair is really long you don't see the short part underneath. I also cut the inside of the legs very short. It keeps her cooler without being totally cut. I prefer the look of her with long hair and I think this way is a happy medium for both of us. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62016
[/QUOTE]

Thanks sooo much! :D Deni's hair isn't quite long enough to do this yet, but my thought is the same as your...cooler in the summer but still with the long look. I already shave the inside of her back legs, a "butt stripe", and all my furkids have thier bellys shaved. I keep my two Pekapoos in a very short puppy cut, but I want Deni to have long hair without it being too much work.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts